2005 Ezgo PDS no run time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Ezgo PDS no run time.

I bought this fleet cart from a dealer this fall. I took it to the course and only go 16 holes before it dumped. I identified 3 batteries that were not as strong (with volt meter) and the dealer swaped out those three. Warmed up today so tried the course again. This time the cart really lost power on the 2nd hole. Ran very slowly until the 7th hole and then we shoved it back in. The battery meter (analog) swings into the red whenever I accelerate on level ground and works its way to green as I approach top speed. We plugged it in at the course for only 15min and then the cart was throwing gravel as I left the shed to get it back on the trailer. Charger amp guage only goes down to about 17amps before it shuts down. The slot for speed and tourqe upgrade chips is empty and nothing seems to be getting hot. Batteries are 04 Titans and cart is stock. I'm going to check the motor brushes tonight to see if I may have one stuck and arcing but I could use some other suggestions.

Hi Deen... I assume you checked the water levels in the batteries, what is the voltage after a full charge on each battery? Also...

Check the cables...
    A) that they're wired correct
    B) by tugging on them, along with the motor cables. A broken cable will snap.

Check the batteries...
    After the cart loses power, jack up the rear wheels and press the accelerator. As you are doing this check the voltage in each battery. If one is abnormally low, replace it and the problem is fixed. Let me know if you have any questions
    Regards

Comment

Matti

It charged last night and I found the following 3 batteries where at 6.3V, one was 6.1, the other 2 where 6.0. I took the cart across the field, down the road, in the yard for about 30 min and the thing did great. The in dash voltmeter drops to red when accelerating but comes back up as speed is reached. I had my voltmeter attached as well and the voltage was dropping to around 5.0 under heavy load and running 5.9 on level ground. On the stands all batteries where in the 6.0 to 6.2 range while running but one was at 5.85. I'm not sure if I have a battery problem or a charging problem. I leave the cart on the charger when not in use. I'm assuming it will kick on as needed to keep full charge but it seems that the cart does much better if I use it on Monday and charge it that night and use it again Tuesday than it does if it has been on the charger for a week and I just take it out. (That make any sense). Also the charger always kicks out before it gets down to 15A. Shouldn't it get closer to 0 before it kicks out?

Comment

I called the dealer today and described everything that is going on to him and he told me something that I'm not sure I agree with. He said that the "Power Wise" charger that I'm using should not be left on the cart for extended periods of time to keep the batteries up. He said that during winter months (non golfing months) I should just visit the cart and plug the charger in for a few hours and then unplug it again. I don't live at the country club so this is going to be a hassle. Do you know of a charger/maintainer that I could use if this is the case? I ran the cart for several miles today with no problems after charging last night so maybe he on to something. I had the trouble yesterday after the cart hadn't been moved for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Those stats sound fine, about how many hours does the charger stay on before cutting? Also, I am not sure if you did.. but check the wiring setup on the batteries. (that it is in the correct order)

How was it running today, it seems like it was holding the charge?
          Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by DeenR66 View Post
            I called the dealer today and described everything that is going on to him and he told me something that I'm not sure I agree with. He said that the "Power Wise" charger that I'm using should not be left on the cart for extended periods of time to keep the batteries up. He said that during winter months (non golfing months) I should just visit the cart and plug the charger in for a few hours and then unplug it again. I don't live at the country club so this is going to be a hassle. Do you know of a charger/maintainer that I could use if this is the case? I ran the cart for several miles today with no problems after charging last night so maybe he on to something. I had the trouble yesterday after the cart hadn't been moved for a couple of weeks.
            Well they are right, that charger does not have the battery maintaining feature in it. So as soon as it is off, it will actually put a drain on the batteries until unplugged. A Powerwise QE charger built by Delta Q has the feature, and was made in late 2006 if I'm not mistaken
            Regards

Comment

I'm sure my charger or rather me leaving it pluged in was the problem. My batteries aren't the best but I would like to get one season out of them. What charger do you guys think are the best for charging/maintaining.

To answer your question on the wiring. It is wired up correctly and it ran very strong today for approx 5 miles before it started slowing down. That is fine for what I use it for if I could just find a charger that I can leave plugged in while the cart is in the shed and the clubhouse this summer.

Comment

Look into the QE posted above, I beleive it should fit your needs

btw I like your wheels!
                Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X