brakes stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes stuck

I think my brakes or stuck on my 88 EZGO. My son used the cart this weekend and parked it and mashed the parking break pedal down. It now seems like the pedal is not completely released and the cart will not go. It was raining this weekend so I couldn't really look at it but it would make a noise and would spin 1 wheel in the grass.

I tried to push it and you can't push it. Anyone have any ideas. If its the break, how can I check it and/or release it?
    Thanks

There are 2 brake cables, one to each rear wheel under the cart. You may be able to release the cable by tapping on the cable attachment at the rear wheel. More than likely you will need new cables (about $30.00 ea) They get water in them and freeze up after time. Not real hard to change cables. Disconnect the cable at the rear wheel and see if the arm going into the hub moves freely. While at it just replace them brakes will be much better.http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf...L%20EZ1%204212 http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf...L%20EZ1%204276

Comment

Thanks Larry1950, you helped and solved 1 of my problems about 6 months ago.
      Is there any way to move the cart so that I can get it to a decent spot to work on, if tapping on the cable doesn't release the break?
      Thanks

Comment

If you can't release the brake its gonna be tuff short of dragging it.
        On the inside of the rear wheels the cable attaches to a lever coming out of the back side of the wheel near the axle. The cable pulls it forward then usually sticks. Either disconnect the cable or pull the level toward the back, this should release brake. If not then the rear wheels will have to be removed, and that ain't gonna be easy if the brakes are locked up. Most of the time it is just rusted up cables. At the rear wheels the cable attaches by a clevis/pin with a cotter pin holding it together. Remove the cotter pin then remove the clevis pin. Works the same way on the front end of the cables. Both cables are attached to a bracket under the frame below the drivers side seat. At each end of the cable is a bracket that holds the cable in place, there is a snap ring around the cable sheath , will probably have to break the snap rings to release the old cable from mounting bracket. Anyway plan on replacing both cables.This should help on the brakes inside the hub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR9kg_RA3_E

Comment

I tried tapping and pulling on the cable and had no luck at all. Tell me if I've got this right. I am going to take the tire off so that I have more room to access the cable. If I disconnect the cable, will that release my brake from that wheel????????? It is only 1 wheel that is locked up. If that doesn't do it what should I do next.
          Thanks

Comment

No need to remove the wheel to get to the cable. Jack up the cart on the side that is stuck. Get down on the ground and look on the back side of the wheel (backing plate) Just under the axle should be a lever coming out of the backing plate. The cable is attached to this lever. Disconnect the cable there, if you can't get the pin out of the clevis you may need to cut the cable (bolt cutters) between the mount and clevis. This will allow the lever to be free. If the lever is stuck then the brake pads are stuck inside the hub. Try dragging the cart backwards this may release the brake enough to move it.If all fails use a mechanics creeper under the wheel to at least get it too a place you can work on it. If the brake is still stuck the wheel and hub will have to come off. This involves a BFH (rubber) and a lot of nasty words

Comment

I've been out of touch over Christmas but am back at work. I had forgotten that about 5 years ago I had the break cables replaced. The brakes do not release when I push and pull on the cable. I've been trying to get the hub off so I can look at the breaks. I'll bet they are stuck but I can't get the hub off. Any suggestions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Thanks

Comment

Posted earlier by Burchillb View Post
                I've been out of touch over Christmas but am back at work. I had forgotten that about 5 years ago I had the break cables replaced. The brakes do not release when I push and pull on the cable. I've been trying to get the hub off so I can look at the breaks. I'll bet they are stuck but I can't get the hub off. Any suggestions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Thanks
                Ok, you will need to disconnect the cable from the back side of the rear wheel backing plate under the axle. There is a cotter pin thru the clevis pin at the lever coming out of the backing plate. Remove the cotter pin and clevis pin, this will free the brake lever from the cable.. Try tapping on the lever (towards the rear of the cart) hopefully this will release the brake shoes inside the hub. Some backing plates have rubber plug in them to access the adjustment ratchet you might be able to loosen the ratchet with a screwdriver. Remove the axle nut in the center of the hub. Using a large screwdriver or crowbar and hammer (rubber or wood) start working the hub out (lotsa bad words may be required). A severe beating of the hub may be required.When you get the hub off have a camera handy to take pictures for reassembly. More than likely the brake cam, adjuster, springs are rusted. May or may not need new shoes. Clean and light grease the cam,adjuster etc. new may be required. It is very possible you will pull the shoes out with the hub if stuck too bad. You might want to remove the good wheel first to see what you have, clean and lube the same in the good brake. You might need a claw type wheel puller to get the hub off if too tight. You can leave the tire and wheel on the hub after removing the axle nut, this allows better leverage to pull off the hub.
                Updated by Larry1950; December 31, 2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I've all ready taken the tire off. The lever is on the top of the rear axle on my cart so I couldn't get to it to push or pull the lever so I took the tire off. I've loosened the axle nut a few turns and have been unable to get the hub to move, of course the cable is still connected. I'll disconnect and see what I get. It's been raining on/off about every day since Christmas and looks like the rain is set in for the day but I'll get back on it as soon as the rain stops. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Yeah, you have to disconnect the cable. And take off axle nut. Maybe this will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR9kg_RA3_E Keep us posted.
                    Updated by Larry1950; January 2, 2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

It's now Tuesday and I still haven't gotten the drum off. Its been cold and wet so I haven't put a lot of effort into working on the cart the last few days. A guy here at work has a set of gear pullers that he says will get the drum off so I'm going to try that on my next attempt. Let me know if that not a good idea. Thanks

Comment

Its colder here -15 this morning warmed up to -2 with 18" of snow. Sounds like its the last resort to use a puller, but have had to do that before. At least you will know what needs to be replaced. At least brake part aren't real expensive.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. We got down to 9 last night. Believe me, around here that's a blizzard that shuts down the whole state of SC.
                          Thanks again

Comment

Heck that just means we put on a sweatshirt and boots. My winter cart
                            Attached Files
                            Updated by Larry1950; January 8, 2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Ok, with the gear puller, I got the drum off. I broke a lip off of the drum and one of the brake pads was broken in half. I don't know if it was broke before or after I got the puller involved but at least I can see what I don't understand. Will it be more economical for me to try and order the drum and brake pads off of the internet or try and find them locally.
                              The lever on the rear of the wheel will now move but a very little bit, about a 1/8 inch or less. Is this what I should expect or is something else holding it?

Comment

The lever operates a cam the moves the brake pads apart, the springs are to pull the pads back. The lever should move freely an inch or so with no brake pads. You will have to remove all the parts. Adjuster, cam, lever, pads and springs. The cam,and adjuster lever will have to be cleaned of all rust and corrosion to operate properly or replaced. Pull the other side and check it out. Probably will needs to do the same there. IF you can take some good pix and send them to my email lrpmbt@att.net Brakes are pretty simple but can be a PITA. Usually what happens it rust binds up moving parts, which has to be cleaned and lubed or replaced. I have found that www.Buggiesunlimited.com is very good on parts.
                                Updated by Larry1950; January 14, 2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

The springs and everything else are still attached. All I really accomplished was getting the drum off. So that makes me think if the lever is moving the 1/8 inch that should be all I can expect until I take the springs off. Will a cell phone take good enough pictures are do I need to use a digital camera. Am I right in assuming that both wheels need to be off the ground for that stuck wheel to turn. I'll get my parts ordered and get back when they arrive.Thanks

Comment

Cell phone is probably not good enough. The wheel off the ground should turn with the other on the ground. When both are off the ground the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. You will need to remove the springs and shoes. Plus the cam lever and adjuster to clean them good. WD40 does a good job of loosening stuff.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR9kg_RA3_E
                                    Updated by Larry1950; January 14, 2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Parts are ordered and should be in by Friday. I'll attempt to get everything off of the wheel and cleaned up before the new pads and drum arrives. I'll get back with pictures and probably a lot of dumb questions before I'm done after the parts arrive.

Comment

The you tube video explains a lot

Comment

Is the cam lever and adjuster just bolted on and can I clean them with wd40?
                                          Hopefully my parts will be tomorrow, By the way, my cam and lever are on top of the rear axle on both sides. I've looked at some other pictures and every thing shows them on the bottom, but not mine.

Comment

If you look at the video you see the adjuster/cam on the top. Not sure if bolted on or riveted. I believe they are bolted but not sure

Comment

Parts arrived yesterday(Thur). Didn't get home until late in the afternoon so today I'll get started on my brake pad excursion. Larry, I've looked at several vidos of this brake job being done and have seen a couple places that says some things should be lubed with grease. The video you recommend doesn't say anything about that. Is it something I should do or not, and if so what all gets grease. Thanks

Comment

Maybe this will help should look like your brakes
                                                Attached Files

Comment

BANG POP BOOM POW ZOOM, I'm rolling again. Everything went on just like I knew what I was doing which I didn't. Larry51, Once again you've come to my rescue and led me thru things that were new to me. I can't say thank you enough but THANK YOU. Now my grandkids are happy again and I can get back to trying to catch some crappie. Thanks

Comment

Love it when a plan comes together. Been catching some perch here ice fishin'. Kinda hard to troll.

Comment

Good job guys larry you get an attaboy, seems like trolling would be easy getting them to bite through the ice is the hard part

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                      X