Battery or Charger Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery or Charger Issue

I have a 2008 PDS with 2010 Trojan batteries. The charger appears to be the original EZGO charger.

I have had the cart for less than 6 months and have had issues with one battery in one spot specifically. This is the third battery that I have had. I checked the voltage last night and it read 37.4 volts--I didnt check each individual battery. I got halfway down the road and it completely died. After towing it home, I checked and I was at 36.4 volts but the one issue battery was at 6.0.

I drive maybe a half mile twice a day to pick my daughter up from school. I dont charge it every day but maybe every other day or at least twice a week. The charger never seems to indicate with the long green flash that it is fully charged so after about 2 hours, I take it off the charger.

What are some other things to test to try to figure this out?

After replacing this most recent battery, it seemed to work fine for the last 3 or 4 weeks until today.

you replaced three batteries and Ill bet used the same wires each time. what accessories do you have? You drive the cart then always charge it, never drain it then let it sit. Also 36.4v is low should be 38v range. check all battery voltages, check all ah ratings, and then do a load test, clip on a volt meter and drive and note the voltage under load post them here.
    Updated by gaminde; September 12, 2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I am a NEWB to the cart world to say the least. After further reading, sounds like I should charge every night.

I have not replaced the wires. The only accessories are headlights and taillights but we rarely drive at night.

My concern is the charger or if I have a bad battery, wont the charger continue to run and overcharge the other batteries? Until today, I would charge and get high 38s, actually 39 if I tested right after the battery came off. Why would that one spot in the series continue to go bad?

Questions
      How long should I leave on the charger?
      Should I let it rest before I test the voltage, if so, how long?
      Jack the wheels up and test under load, correct?
      What are AH ratings?

Should i invest in a hydrometer?

Comment

three things taillights are they staying on? what battery are the lights connected to? and is the charger connected correctly or is the one battery out of the charge loop.

putting the cart on jack stands is not a good load (drive it) ah amp hour ratings on battery
        keep it charging until the charger shuts off. or no more than 16 hours.

Comment

Tail lights and headlights are on switch and not on at all.

I'll need to look to see what battery lights are connected to....the charger appears to be connected correctly. I dont think the one battery is out of the loop.

I tested at home and got the following:

The 5.85 battery is the same battery that I have had issues before. It had a 2010 trojan 605 when I bought it. The guy swapped it out for a US Battery and then I ended up swapping it at a GC shop for a 2010 trojan 105.

I tried plugging in my QE charger and it is giving me the 2 red blinking lights. Should I try charging two in a series (I dont have a 6volt) with my car charger and then trying my QE charger again?

Why would the other batteries be ok and this spot keeps failing?
          Updated by tx63conv; September 12, 2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

those voltages are after charging if so they're not in good shape. and that is no load just sitting still. and now you're saying with charger is not working. yes Automotive charger two at a time 12 volts

Comment

No. Those are before charging. I figure since the one was so low, the charger wouldn't kick on. I removed the battery and took it to auto zone and they said it was dead.

When I removed it, I noticed that the nut on the pos side was loose. Would that keep this one battery from charging?

My plan is to swap out for another used battery and be religious about charging and checking voltage.
              Updated by tx63conv; September 12, 2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X