smoked controller!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked controller!!

The owners of the campground I am a seasonal at has an 05 ez go txt with PDS....... They have had alot of electrical issues....sometimes cart would only go in reverse...sometimes fine....1 battery blew up....etc. They finally are at there wits end and had me look at it... I found 2 wires rubbed thru and shorting out where they are routed thru a metal bracket on the passenger side. one white, and one black (F1 and F2 that run between the motor and the controller).

I repaired the wires, cleaned all the battery connections, checked the voltages of each battery individually, and base voltage of the entire set...has a surface charge...each battery reads close to 8 volts, and the whole set is at 50 volts after coming off the charger.....doesn't that seem like too much??

Anyways, cart still not working....I get a 2-1 trouble code beep for low voltage...which is not the case. when I pulled the cover for the speed controller...I smell a burnt plastic smell....I followed a diagnostic flow chart which started from the basic battery and cable checks...led me to a bad controller....ouch, those things are spendy!!!

seeing that the shorted wires came from the controller and went to the motor....I am wondering what the chances are that the motor is damaged also????

I read somewhere that you can test the motor for it's basic health by using an ohm meter to check for resistance thru both sets of windings. (check between A1 and A2...then check between F1 and F2) it said to have battery disconnected and to take all the cables off the motor.....it also said to check between each post and the case of the motor to see if any post is shorted to ground.

I am going back to the campground over the weekend and will try this test.

Does any one have any other advise?? I have already repaired the wires and I slit a chunk of heater hose to protect the wires from rubbing thru again... I know I need a controller (for PDS cart).....just not sure what else may have been damaged.

Right off the charger 50 volts is perfectly fine, did you install the controller yet? I think your motor should be fine.
    Regards

Comment

Yep...I put the new controller in and it has been working flawlessly. It's been used quite a bit for 2 weekends in a row without any problems

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X