Axle Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Noise

Axle is quit loud on my '95 EZ GO. Removed motor and pan and all seems well and tight with the exception of the middle gear that I can not reach with removing the freeze plugs. Changed motor and did not fix. Not so much a grinding noise but a rubbing noise. Any common known problem in the rear end that would cause the axle to be so loud.

The most common problem is when people find out they are running low or no oil at all. Another checkpoint is to look around the seals for any leaking. Did you notice any stress on the gears...?
    Regards

Comment

All gears look ok, I pulled the input shaft and the bearing on the end of the shaft is rusty and does not sound to healthy. When i spin the reamining gears with the shaft out its much quieter. I think once I change this KOYO #6203 bearing my problem will be solved. I did notice the axle did not have 90w oil, way too thin.

Anyone know how to fill the oil in the Dana Spicer axle. I am being told to the upper fill plug but I can not find a fill plug anywere on this diff. All I can see is a small 1/4" plastic cap on the axle tube itself........

Thanks for the responce

Comment

There is a little plug on it, sort of seems like a drain plug. Fill through this hole with 30 weight (YES 30 weight) gear oil until it rises over it, and than quickly replace the plug. Oh, and prepare for a little mess
        Regards

Comment

Well the noise was the bearing on the end of the input shaft #6203. Much quieter now. Is the fill plug located on the axle tube? This is the only possible place I can get oil into the axle except the drain hole. Thanks for the info...
          Updated by ezgoerchicago; April 9, 2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Glad you found the problem! That drain hole you are talking about is where you need to fill it.
            Regards

Comment

Must not take much oil.........That is how I added oil in the past so I tipped the cart on its side a bit to get more oil in.

Comment

I've heard it all when it comes to filling these, but they all seem to end the same way... with spills

In yours oil gets thrown by the bottom gear to lubricate the top gears and everything else in there, hence the thin oil.
                Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X