older pre 80's 36 volt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• older pre 80's 36 volt

I'm new to carts but have 50yrs in auto repair I was gifted this ez go cart It's been customized, home made lift and lack of maintenance The batts are older but full charge and passes the stress test. The cart runs maybe a block and looses power. I took a meter with and test the batteries they all still test at least 6 volts. Let the cart sit 10 min you can drive it again for a short distance. recheck the voltage and still ok. is the speed controller the #8 coiled copper wires or is there diff one?

What is the voltage of the whole battery pack? Fully charged, they should be 38.2. Get a VOM that reads at least 40 volts DC and check the whole pack. When they first come off the charger they will read a little higher. After a few hours, they should settle and hold at 38.2. It really sounds like you need new batteries. Even one weak one out of the pack can cause the problems you describe.
    Updated by pbsdaddy; May 21, 2012, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks 37.6 was the reading I do more checking this week end The cart is at the lake

Comment

Even if a battery that shows 6 volts at rest doesn't mean it's good. U need to load test them and see what they do.
        This number is after a full charge and the batteries have sat for at least 6 hrs before checking them.

sigpic
        I'm here to help!
        There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Hi I'm back from the lake I charged the Batts full with a 40.4 reading when done. No bad cells at all. this is what happens and what i found I drive it for a block or so up and down hills then it runs out of power I check the batts when it stops and there full charge But I noticed the the movable contact on the speed controll has been hot and melted the insulation .After about ten min. you can go again.also when I start to go ,forward or backwards the throttle sticks but dose not stick with the switch turned off sitting still. What causes the movable contact wire to get hot? Thanks much for your imput Dave

Comment

Poor contact. It's acting like a short. Try adjusting the switch.

Comment

U will have to remove the moving switch. Clean up all the contacts and make sure they are flate. The moving arm contact should have a spring inside the housing that moves back and forth with ease. This will detirmine how good the speed is and how jumpy the cart is.
              sigpic
              I'm here to help!
              There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

HI , Thanks for all the good info. I think that was my next step but it was nice for the good words. I will do this hopefully this week end then I will let you know how it turned out.Thanks again. Dave

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X