slow starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow starting

Have 91 EZgo electric for about 2 years now. When I the cart was slow and trouble climbing hills. replaced 1 battery because guy said it was weak, still didn't perform any better. Used it for the remaining season. About August of last year 2011 I put all new batteries in it and still having the sme problem. Those thta have worked on it say the connections are all tight. Not quite sure wht to do.

check the voltage at the motor with the pedal floorboarded. should have at least 36 volts. if so i'd pull the motor & break it down and check around the brush area for burnt marks, damage if any kind.

Comment

Checked all the batteries with voltmeter after fully charging.
      oltage ranged from 6.24-6.27. The pack checked out at 37.4.
      Jacked up back end, floored the pedal and checked voltage at the (hope I was onthe correct terminals) motor it was 34.7. Went throught all the connections again making sure for they were clean and tight, waiting for batteries to recharge will check voltage again in the morning.

Comment

Check the pot box ohm's. Make sure it's going to wide open throttle. 0 @ rest 5K @ wide open.
        sigpic
        I'm here to help!
        There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

rechecked all the batteries AFTER sitting overnight on full charge 6.23 - 6.25 and 35 on pack. checked the pot BOX and 6 at full throttle.

Comment

35 volts on a full pack of 6 volts! You need batteries bad. A full charge is over 38 volts 12 hrs after it has sat off charger.

You either have a bad charger are the batteries are toast. Done bitten the dust, dead, gone anyway you name it they are History!
            sigpic
            I'm here to help!

Comment

My mistake there is 37.4 volts on the pack. only 35volts at the motor with pedal to the floor. The pot box showed 6k on the ohms meter with pedal to the floor. The batteries were new last sept and I have kept a close watch on them, making sure they were charged and not allowed to sit for long periods.

Comment

37.4 volts on the pack. only 35volts at the motor with pedal to the floor.

Your batteries are between 70-80% charged at this voltage.

Is this after they have sat un charged for at least 6 hrs.

The pot should start @ 0 and go smooth to around 5K you may want to adjust on it and get it back down to that and it may help the top end.

Does the cart seem to run faster with the pedal about 1/2 way down then start to slow down when fully pressed if so this is why.
                sigpic
                I'm here to help!

Comment

The batteries were charged until charger shut down. all tests were done the next morning. pot box 6k with pedal floored, your supposed to test the potbox with the wires unpluged, isn't that correct. The cart is slow starting from standstill, it will not climb even the smallest hill when starting out. itwill go on level ground but is slow compared to other people I know with the same kind of cart.

Comment

Yes the pot is unplugged for the Ohm's test.

If the batteries charged all night and shut off and read 37.4 you my friend need batteries.
                    Are the charger isn't working right one are the other.

Plug the charger back in and take a volt reading on the battery pack while charging and post the reading. It should be low 40's at least.
                    Updated by andy4639; April 8, 2012, 09:34 PM.
                    sigpic
                    I'm here to help!

Comment

Checked the pack with charger plugged in and had 40.7 volts. Is there anything I can do to the batteries, such as total dscharge and recharge. I'm just having trouble accepting the fact tht my almost new batteries are bad. IS 40.7 volts sufficient to toataly charge the batteries. I have hadthe same problem from the day I bought the cart, was told that it was needing batteries in the near future, but after I put in the new batteries the same symtoms were still there, slow and no power to go up the smallest incline from a dead stop.
                      Updated by LDLyons; April 10, 2012, 10:32 AM. Reason: additional infomation needed

Comment

Well I guess, I'm going to have to find a golf cart guy somewhere close, because I'm not getting anywhere with it on my own, have tried what you guys have told me, I was told to check the voltasge the charger was putting out, but havenot heard from any body if it is correct or not. I appreciate the help I have gotten, but need to get my cart going real soon

Comment

Disconnect the pot box wires going to the F/R micro and see if it does better. If so the micro switch is bad and keeping it in half speed all the time.
                          sigpic
                          I'm here to help!

Comment

sorry to chime in here with a question but,what is the pot box? And I have the same problems with my cart and I need to check all of these conditions

Comment

The pot box is the silver box connected to the gas pedal linkage between the batteries. Has 4 wires coming out of it. 2 go to the controller and 2 go to the F/R micro switch.
                              Looks like this but mine is laying down.
                              sigpic
                              I'm here to help!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X