Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart starts moving when switch is turned

Hello all!

I could really use some help with this one. I have a 1999 EZGO TXT 36V. Recently the cart was hit by thieves and all the wires and batteries were stolen. I have replaced the batteries and wired in a hidden on/off pull switch. Everything was fine for months, and then yesterday when i pulled the on/off switch the cart starts moving about 2 or 3 MPH without pushing the accelerator. What is up with that?

Sounds like the solenoid is stuck in the ON position, pretty common problem with electric carts.

Comment

How do I go about fixing that? Or do I have to buy a new one? Sorry, but I am pretty new to this!

Comment

you could tap lightly on it with a hammer to see if that will open the contacts but more than likely you'll be putting in a new solenoid
        IF WE CAN'T HELP OTHERS THEN WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE
        sigpic

Comment

dwon is correct, that's about all there is to it. New solenoids are $35-$50.

Comment

even if tapping does work you'll still need a new solenoid
            IF WE CAN'T HELP OTHERS THEN WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I have a local cart supply dealer. Do I just ask them for an accelerator solenoid? What I am trying to ask is , what exactly is the part called? and is it located in the small box under the floor at the peddle?

Comment

It's just called a solenoid, located under the seat, passenger side next to the controller. It should look like this:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a bunch Doug! I just found it this evening. That is where the clickiing sound is coming from when the switch is turned on, makes sense now that you showed me the picture! Thanks for all your help!

Comment

There should be a micro switch between selnoid and key switch. If it's sticking then the solenoid will activate. Check the wiring to see if it's been bypassed. A lot of people will bypass it if it goes out.
                      It should be under the drivers side rubber mat, also if you have bent the gas pedal rod it could not be coming all the way back to the rest position and the micro switch is still activated when the key is turned on.
                      sigpic
                      I'm here to help!
                      There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Peddle rod is not bent, but the key switch and all wiring was removed when the thieves attacked it for copper. Now it just has a hidden pull switch instead of a key. On the pull switch, one wire goes directly to a battery, and the other one goes to a post on the solenoid. It worked fine like this for about three months. Could the pull switch witring be a problem? I assumed it was all good because it worked for months with no problem.....

Comment

Check it and see. When you say a pull switch you talking like a head light switch? If so then it's a good possiblity that it's bad. They aren't made to carry that kind of a load.
                          sigpic
                          I'm here to help!

Comment

Yea Andy, it is just a marine pull switch from a boat yard. said it was rated at 60 amps. the mechanic at the marina fixed it for my mom. I "restored" the cart for her two years ago,( paint, cleaning, new hardware and rear seats) I guess that I just need to buy a two bladed key switch? Can I just buy one at Lowe's or advance auto, or does it have to be for a golf cart specifically? I say two bladed because I have all the auxiliaries, (lights, horn, etc) wired with switches, fuses to a separate 12V bat. I am attaching a pic that I have handy from the day that I gave it to her. She is in her late 70's and really loves this cart, so I am trying to fix it the correct way, and I cannot really afford to take it into the shop....Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yea I would go to Wal-mart are any parts store and get a key switch. That should take care of it.
                              sigpic
                              I'm here to help!

Comment

Thanks again for all the help! This forum is awesome!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                X