Cart runs slow & Tires sound bumpy and thumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart runs slow & Tires sound bumpy and thumping

I just installed new batteries in a customers cart. It is a 36 volt 2003 EZGO .

The plate says " D403". The cart has a PDS sticker on both sides of the body, but the F/R switch is under the legs ( not in the dash ). There is no run/tow switch.
    Everything looks stock on the cart. I noticed when i drove it BEFORE doing anything with the batteries, that all 4 tires were very low on air. I drove it down the street to my house, and barely made it because her batteries were so bad. But I did notice that the ride was very lumpy, and sounded like a flat spot or something on the tire( rear tire drivers side).

After I cleaned /painted the battery tray and installed new batteries, I filled all tires to 22 psi air. The tires are in decent shape, but have a slight wear pattern on the inside of them.

Anyway, after charging the new batteries all night, i took it for a test drive down to the club house. It was very disapointing .

The top speed i reached was 14 mph, but was more in the 12 mph range most of the way. It felt way to slow. The tires are still full at 22 psi, but they definately have a lumpping sound, especially can hear it from the rear drivers tire.
    I am wondering what it is? I was thinking maybe gear oiul ( cannot see anyplace to add it by the way, only a drain plug on the very bottom). Maybe wheel bearings need greasing?

The cart has been sitting for months, probably a year and a half. The brakes work GREAT, the best stopping i have seen in a cart. I would like to find and possibly fix this before i give the cart back to the customer. I think as it is, she will be disappointed in the ride.

Any help?

Thanks

Put about 28-30 lbs in the tires and ride it. Those new batteries will need a few good cycles on them before you can see a big gain in performance and longer times.
    12MPH is all it's going to do though if it's all stock.
    It has set with low air they are flat spoted and may not get them out.
    sigpic
    I'm here to help!
    There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Rotate the tires and see if the thump follows the tire.
      Up the tire pressure to 25 lbs.
      Check to see the brakes are not dragging.
      If it's a PDS, install a $5 ebay speed chip to get about 18mph.
      If the cart still has the original 6ga cables, an upgrade to 4ga or just new ones will help a little.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X