Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need way of transporting an EZGO cart

Here is my sitch :

I live in a gated retirement community. I need to come up with a way to transport a golfcart.

I don't have room to store a small trailor. I have a small 4 cylinder truck, with no trailor hitch. I am willing to get a hitch put on, so I can move a cart.

I have started a small business here, and once in awhile i need to transport a cart. So far I have been offering different gardeners I see, 50.00 to move a cart for me. Most of the carts I need to move are on a different side of the freeway than i am on, so driving on the streets is out.

I need to move a cart approximately 15 miles. Can anyone suggest the cheapest, smallest way for me to move a cart, using my truck? What i mean, I don't know how much they weigh, but I have seen a small trailor that folds up somewhere. I cannot store a trailor anywhere. If it will fold up, then possibly I can live with that.

The small jobs I do on the carts, don't have the money in them to keep paying someone to move it.

Since you guys have lots of experience, thought I could tap into that. A cart will not fit in my truck, the wheel wells are too close together.

Hopefully someone has a killer solution. Thanks.

You can rent a trailer to transport carts from Uhaul or most rental places. They are right there in Indio and charge about $25 a day.
    OR
    Get a trailer and store it somewhere other than your home even if you have to rent space for it.
    This would be the ideal rental trailer, drive or winch up the ramp: U-Haul Utility Trailer with Ramp
    Electric golf carts weigh in the neighborhood of 1,200 lbs, gas around 1000 lbs.
    Updated by dougmcp; January 29, 2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of a car dolley and when not in use it could be stood up on end, inside garage.

Either way you will need a hitch.
      sigpic
      I'm here to help!
      There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Thanks Doug. I like that U haul trailor.

I had a 5 x 10 trailor but i gave it away when i moved here. Now I have a use for ir, just not a place to store it.

I need to get a hitch put on my truck. Right now, if I want to take a customers cart batteries to recondition, i have to remove them from the cart. I would rather take the whole cart home.

Andy I am not following you on the car dolly. Would the back tire be rolling on the ground?

Comment

Hey Doug :

In your opinion , would this small trailor do the job for moving golf carts, 100miles at the most?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

Comment

Yes the front are back either one would be on the ground rolling. Perferbably the fronts would be on the ground.

1195 Lb. Capacity trailer is going to be about right according to E-Z-GO'S website.
            http://www.ezgo.com/golf/fleet/txt.html
            Dry Weight
            (without batteries) 557 lb (253 kg)

Curb Weight 935 lb (424 kg)
            sigpic
            I'm here to help!
            There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

The trailer may have the load range that is just barely adequate but you would have to load carts on the trailer backwards to keep the correct balance over the axle and have sufficient tongue weight.
              The bed size is marginal and you will probably find it too difficult to put a cart on it. You would also need to get some ramps to load/unload with.
              IMO it may be OK to run around your neighborhood but I would not take it on the freeway or attempt a 100 mile trip with a cart on it.
              Personally, I would rent a trailer before I used one of these to haul carts.
              Here's the physical size of the Ezgo:
              Attached Files

Comment

I used one of those little 4X8's to haul my motorcycles for a few years. They are minimal, at best, but will do the job. The biggest negative is their rating. You can improve that and the highway friendliness of the trailer by replacing the 12 inch wheels with 13's. The 13's will give you another 400 to 450 pound capacity, putting the cart well within the trailers new limits. Just remember, they are made of thin stamped steel. If you take the time to gussett each corner with some flat stock, you can limit or eliminate the torquing common in these small units.

Comment

Andy mentioned a car tow dolly. Would this work for moving golf carts?

Has anyone ever used one of these to move a cart?

I definately cannot store a normal trailor.

My neighbor asked me why don't I park the trailor in my garage, and then park my cart on the trailor ( in the garage)to get maximize the space. Anyone ever tried this?

Wouldn't the front end need to be anchored down somehow, so it doesn't lift up when driving up the ramp?

Comment

The front is anchored by the fact that it is hooked to your tow vehicle. If you have the balance a bit forward, the park it on the trailer route will work just fine. I would put some jack stands under the rear corners just in case I allowed myself to forget the trailer will tilt when balance is changed. Like my stepping onto it.
                    I don't know about the car tow dolly. I don't think I'd trust the cart tires at highway speeds. If you prefer not to keep the cart on the trailer, the light weight stamped steel ones can be stood on end for storage.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X