What is best tool for lifting batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best tool for lifting batteries

Any suggestions to the best tool available to pick up heavy golf cart batteries?

The batteries like the GC-2's that Sams Club sells. They have that plastic raised section at the end of the battery.

I have a real old wood 2 piece tool but the teeth won't fit inside that plastic part.

I am looking for any and all suggestions. I have an EZGO cart, but today i need to lift the batteries out of an old Western cart. It is hard on my back and knee, lifting these heavy batteries and trying to get them in the proper spots without dropping them.

I was also wondering if there is any type of small or miniature cherry picker, similar to the ones they use to life engines? ONly a small version?

Please help!

Thanks

Posted earlier by redman34 View Post
    Any suggestions to the best tool available to pick up heavy golf cart batteries?

The batteries like the GC-2's that Sams Club sells. They have that plastic raised section at the end of the battery.

I have a real old wood 2 piece tool but the teeth won't fit inside that plastic part.

I am looking for any and all suggestions. I have an EZGO cart, but today i need to lift the batteries out of an old Western cart. It is hard on my back and knee, lifting these heavy batteries and trying to get them in the proper spots without dropping them.

I was also wondering if there is any type of small or miniature cherry picker, similar to the ones they use to life engines? ONly a small version?

Please help!

Thanks
    I bought a battery carrier off the snap on truck when I was a fleet mechanic and it is worth its weight in gold. Its pretty basic and if you look around they shouldnt be hard to find. Its adjustable for all sizes.When you pick up , it pinches the sides of the battery. I carried quite a few of the larger truck batteries and never dropped one. Hope this helps.

Comment

Northern Tool and Harbor Freight have all kinds of stuff like battery lifter/carriers for reasonable prices. They have cherry picker type things that mount in pickup truck beds, that may be something to try. Modification is the rule of the day when it comes to stuff like that.
      Gimpy

Comment

I use one of the old strap kind with a hole in each end just because I've had it for years and looks like this:

The best I have seen look something like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
          I use one of the old strap kind with a hole in each end just because I've had it for years and looks like this:

The best I have seen look something like this:
          The bottom one is exactly what I have.

Comment

Posted earlier by ak47fan View Post
            The bottom one is exactly what I have.
            How is it, because it looks like it may not work as good as you'd think to be?
            Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
              How is it, because it looks like it may not work as good as you'd think to be?
              You just slide it to the width of the battery and when you pick it up it pinches it with the jaws. I never dropped even one battery for as many as I replaced. My dad has the one like doug has that went over the posts.

Comment

The strap is no good for batteries that don't have posts, like Sams Club batteries.

Sams batteries just have the threaded studs.

I stopped by O'Reilly auto parts and bought this cool battery carrier. It is made by Lisle. Looks like large ice tongs, and the tips fit the plastic lifting hooks on the battery.

I am a happy camper now. Did a cart battery job today, and it worked like a charm.

Hey doug , I got ahold of a manual for that western cart, it has a complete wiring diagram, that helped me alot. Since the owner took the old wiring apart before I got there. Thanks for your battery diagram.

I can send you the link to the manual if you want it.

Comment

You're correct about the Sam's batteries, I use a washer and nut and kid of half-ass them out with my strap. Not ideal but easier than running to the store again. Glad you got it worked out with yours.
                  I have a Western manual but could you send me the link so I can check it out and see if it's something I don't have.

Comment

Here is the western manual, it is 60 pages.

It takes a minute to load, but is worth it. Hope it is useful to you.

https://dl.dropbox.com/0/view/ma0d81...L-N0YMvZGC.pdf

Thanks for all your help.
                    Updated by redman34; December 31, 2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I like the leather strap with double hooks on each end the best.
                      Like this one. I get them free just about everytime I buy a set of batteries.

sigpic
                      I'm here to help!
                      There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I would be afraid that this strap could damage the threads on the threaded stud.

Comment

I would be afraid that this strap could damage the threads on the threaded stud.
                          Damage the threads! How do you mean sir. You never pick a cart battery up by the threads it pulls them out of the lead and cracks them and it can cause all kinds of electrical failures, if you ever had a battery hit your foot you will know what I'm talking about also lucky for me it was just picked up off the floor! I hollard some real bad words to. The strap hooks to the ends of the battery in those plastic holes made for it. You never touch the threads!
                          Please tell me you aren't lifting batteries by the terminal's!

PS,
                          If you ever had to get the Club Car are old marothone batteries out of a cart then you will love this tool!
                          Updated by andy4639; January 5, 2012, 01:09 PM.
                          sigpic
                          I'm here to help!

Comment

Where can I get one?

Comment

Most battery wharehouses have them. That's where I buy my batteries and get the handles.
                              sigpic
                              I'm here to help!

Comment

Here is the tool at work. They are great because you can lean the battery anyway you need to to get them out of a cart!

sigpic
                                I'm here to help!

Comment

Posted earlier by andy4639 View Post
                                  Damage the threads! How do you mean sir. You never pick a cart battery up by the threads it pulls them out of the lead and cracks them and it can cause all kinds of electrical failures, if you ever had a battery hit your foot you will know what I'm talking about also lucky for me it was just picked up off the floor! I hollard some real bad words to. The strap hooks to the ends of the battery in those plastic holes made for it. You never touch the threads!
                                  Please tell me you aren't lifting batteries by the terminal's!
                                  I hate to admit it but I have lifted batteries out by the studs. I have never had one come apart yet but now that you got my attention, I will mend my ways and not do it again.
                                  Thanks for the heads up in the "think about what you're doing" department.

Here is the tool at work. They are great because you can lean the battery anyway you need to to get them out of a cart!
                                  I really like those except most but not all batteries have the brackets built in to lift from.
                                  Updated by dougmcp; January 6, 2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Doug I agree some batteries don't have the side mounts. The newer batteries should though. I think it's a indrustry standard now to have them.
                                    sigpic
                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

Doug I agree some batteries don't have the side mounts. The newer batteries should though. I think it's a indrustry standard now to have them.
                                      I guess I should quit buying those Sam's Club batteries, my 6v from 2002 on the boat and my newest 8v ones from 2009 have no lifting lugs on the edges like most. At least the batteries are holding up well and I should have to worry about them for another 4-5 years.

Comment

I just bought some 6 volt and 8 volt Sams batteries about 2 weeks ago, and they both have the lifting eyes . That is when i started this thread, I was looking for a tool that would fit in those eyes.

Comment

I just bought some 6 volt and 8 volt Sams batteries about 2 weeks ago, and they both have the lifting eyes . That is when i started this thread, I was looking for a tool that would fit in those eyes.
                                          Looks like we have our winner then!
                                          Regards

Comment

Yepper the last time I was there and check on prices they were on all of there batteries.
                                            sigpic
                                            I'm here to help!

Comment

I was just there today and saw the prices from across the way but didn't look at the batteries themselves. I will be back at Sam's in a few days and post up what I find as well.

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                              X