Battery Load Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Load Testing

I have a lester load tester ( Battery Discharge Unit) for golf carts. It will do both 36 volt and 48 volt batteries.

I want to load test snowbirds golf cart batteries, while they are gone for the summer.

My question, is How OFTEN should I load test them?

I want to make sure that I don't over do it, and also don't want to chance damaging the batteries. Since in most cases ( since they are not my batteries) I won't know the age or condition of the batteries.

Load test them periodically? Why? Lead-Acid batteries don't have a memory like your cellphone battery. Run a full charge cycle on them every 25-30 days, keep them watered and clean, and you will have some very happy golf cart batteries.
    Regards

Comment

When I load test my power tool batteries, I can estimate the useable life left in them, based on the numbers.

I figured it would also work on the golf cart batteries. What good would the lester discharger be for?

Comment

Load testing just applies more cycles to the total available.
        Personally I don't see a reason to load test ever unless there is a problem.
        You can also get a good indication of life with a voltage reading and/or a hydrometer reading.
        Although not cheap if you really want to assess a battery bank in 15 seconds get one of these that does not load up the battery like a CP load tester: http://www.cadex.com/industry_rapid/wheeled.asp
        I don't have one but have seen them work and they are the best I have ever seen.

Comment

Doug :

That thing is very cool. I neeeeeeed one

I have been searching the net trying to find a price. The only thing I saw was somewhere, a price of 3500.00. YIKES.

I would be willing to pay 800-1,000, but 3500 is crazy.

I have emails in to cadex, trying to get a price.

I can't seem to find a distributor for them.

Besides this particular device, do you know of any other device that I can use on 36 volt and 48 volt systems, that will give an idea of the battery life that is left?

Are you familiar with the very large Lester discharger that I have?

Comment

This is the lester unit i have :

http://www.lesterelectrical.com/prod..._datasheet.pdf

Tell me your opinion.

Also I got a price on the spectro, it is 1600.00

Comment

If you already have the Lester discharge unit I don't see a real reason to try and upgrade to a $1600 unit, the ROI will be non-existent.
              Do you have your Lester tied to a laptop for analyzing?

Comment

The lester unit, takes awhile to complete a test, and really puts out the heat.

I don't have much experience with it, only used it twice.

It does have an output that you can hook up to a computer, although I haven't tried it.

The spectro unit sounds awesome. I want to be able to check a snowbirds cart batteries, before they leave for the summer, and give them a printout of the condition.

This will help in alot of areas. One area, is if they are dishonest, when they come back for the winter, they won't be able to tell me their batteries were in better shape when they left. ( I am offering them a monthly maintenance, that will include, charging, cleaning, and desulfating).

Also, if this device can tell me if they only have 40% life left in the batteries, it will help for a sales pitch.
                Updated by redman34; December 23, 2011, 07:14 PM.

Comment

All valid points.
                  If it were me I might try connecting the unit you have to the computer and seeing what it tells you. I know you can print reports from it as well.
                  The other thing about the Lester taking time and creating heat, it's true but may even be a selling point depending on how you approach it.
                  If a customer sees you put some magic device that reads out in 15 seconds without heating up, it may not have the perceived value that the time consuming heat generating test of the Lester.

Comment

Hey Doug, I know you bought your batteries at Sams. If I need to purchase batteries, other than Sams (because the customer wants Trojens or Crown, etc) got any suggestions where I can go?

Out here in the desert, there are quite a few Golf Cart Dealers and shops, so if i have to buy batteries from them, they will be expensive.

I am looking for a source ( local-no shipping) that I can buy cart batteries and resell for a profit.

Comment

You don't have a lot of overhead and your area of concentration is less than the golf cart shops so here's one thing you can try:
                      1) Check with the dealers and see if they would sell you batteries at a discounted price that you could still mark up and be competitive. It would be handy if you need a quick replacement of one battery or warranty etc.
                      2) Any orders you have could be added on to their regular deliveries.
                      3) Going to their shop to pick up batteries may be easier and less expensive than driving to the distributor.

If that doesn't pan out the distributors in your area are:

Trojan and US Battery:
                      Battery Systems of Palm Desert
                      74850 Joni Dr. Suite D
                      Palm Desert, CA 92260
                      Phone: (760) 340-2002

Crown:
                      Industrial Powersource
                      10907 Painter Ave
                      Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
                      Tel: (562) 946-4992

Interstate:
                      Interstate Batteries Of Southern California
                      1730 South E Street
                      San Bernardino, CA 92408
                      (909) 381-2082

Hope this helps

Comment

Its worth a shot, at least talking to them.

I see Interstate on that list. I don't recall ever hearing Doug mentionin Interstate, when talking about cart batteries.

Hey Doug I checked with a couple local companies that install cart batteries. They use Centennial, and US Energy 1800 batteries.

Right now I am buying Sams energizers and installing them.

Can you give me your opinion, as far as ranking the following cart batteries, in order of preference.

Sams energizers, centennial, US Energy 1800, Interstate, US battery?
                        Updated by redman34; January 3, 2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

In order of my preference for quality/reputation:
                          1) US Battery: The 1800 XC is a 6v, equivalent to the Trojan T-105. The 8VGC XC is the same as the Trojan T-875
                          2) Crown
                          3) Trojan
                          4) Interstate
                          5) Sam's

Best bang for your buck: Sam's

I have no experience with the Centennial Batteries.

Comment

Thanks Doug.

I am trying to get cadex to respond to me so I can buy the ca-12.

I checked out my lester load testor, and it looks like it doesn't store any info, it only displays while it is hooked up.

So I would have to hook my laptop up to it, and all I would get is a few numbers, that I can easily write down instead.

It doesn't look like its worth the trouble of trying to print something out.

I will persue the ca-12. 1600.00 plus shipping.

Comment

The SoCal Cadex Rep is:
                              RF Works
                              Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
                              Tel: 949-709-7385
                              Fax: 949-713-9802
                              Email: sales@cadex.com or derek.mcgowan@cadex.com
                              Territories:
                              Southern California (zips 90000 to 93501), Arizona, Southern Nevada

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X