Another battery QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another battery QUESTION

I am new to this forum, new to owning a golf cart and trying to have fun with my kid in the neighborhood.

I recently did some horse trading for a used ezgo electric golf cart. it looks to be in very good condition. it drives and runs fine,..."for about an hour" So i charge it all nite and the same thing, one hour, no juice.

So before I buy 6 new batteries here is what I have done. I have checked the batteries after a full charge and it read 6.34 I notice the battery charger "total charger III" charges about 2 hours and then indicates he has fully charged the batteries.

After the cart is barely moving, I unhooked every battery from one another and checked them and they all read "5.88 ish" within a couple of numbers.

The batteries are Trojan and yes, I have learned from this website how to look up the dates of manugacture they are 07.

Am I done? Is it time for the 800.00 battery purchase???

to GCF Rod!
    Congrats on the new cart.
    At only one hour of use, it's sounding like your batteries are just about done, at 5.88v they are at about 20% charged.
    It is important to charge the batteries after each use and let the charger finish it's cycle and shut off automatically.
    Depending on care, batteries last 5-7 years but if they are not looked after, they can die even sooner.
    A full charge on the batteries is 38.2v for the pack or 6.37v each, there is no need to disconnect to measure the voltage, just put the meter across the posts.

I would suggest you look at Sam's Club for batteries, you should be able to get a complete set of GC-2 batteries for about $450.

Here is a state of charge chart to help you assess your batteries:
    Click to enlarge.
    Attached Files
    Updated by dougmcp; November 6, 2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Hello Doug,

Thank you very much for the advise,......could I ask you one last question,...I have a EZGO 36 (thats what I learned they call it,..LOL") is there a particular battery you recommend from Sam. A certain size, brand...ect. Thanks again, I can go the 450. ish,..the 800 + is kinda rough right now,...thanks again,....

Comment

Sam's Club sells lots of automotive batteries but only sells 2 Golf Cart batteries the GC-2 (6v) and the GC-8 (8v).
        All 6v GC batteries generally have the same number, do not buy any other kind of battery than a GC-2.
        The GC-2 is very close in specs to the Trojan T-105 battery.
        GC-2 batteries will have 3 fill holes and generally look like this:
        Click to enlarge photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow!,......You must know me,...LOL! When I fix something, I always bring the broken part with me to compare,..with these pictures you sent, I cannot mess this one up,...the pictures are great,...I mean that,...and I really thank you for the help. I will be at Sams Monday after work..

Again, I appreciate it!

Rodney

Comment

Take a photo of your old batteries and wiring before you change them out so you have a reference if something doesn't work in the end.
            I know you will likely want to try it after you install the batteries, it's OK for a few minutes but new batteries should be charged before using them.
            Lead acid batteries do not have a memory and you should charge your batteries every time you have more than 15-30 minutes of pedal time.
            Let us know how it goes.

Comment

So THAT'S who that weird guy was taking all those pictures of batteries in the store!
              Regards

Comment

Yup, it was me. I was doing a comparison of batteries awhile ago and it seemed easier to shoot a photo than write anything down, that way if I forgot something I could always refer to the photo.
                So I guess that was you I had to crop out of the photos, some people are glory hounds.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X