Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging golf cart with car charger?? Pls Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging golf cart with car charger?? Pls Help!

Guys(and gals), i know this topic has come up many times in this forum and i have spent more than an hour reading through old posts trying to find an answer to my question but cant find it anywhere...so apologize if i simply missed it...but i have an 07 EZGO cart thats been sitting for 3-4 months with new Tojan batteries in it but will not charge with the golf cart charger...one of the lcoal guys i know tells me that the batteries have dropped to a point where the cart charger wont pick them up..so he told me to go and get a car charger and charge two batteries at a time for 1-2 hours each set(on low amps preferably less than 10)..he also advised that i didnt need to disconnect any curent wiring....and then the cart charger should be able to take it from there...my first question is "Can you confirm this is accurate?"...and based upon my readings here, it would appear to be true..so i assume i hook the pos to the pos on battery 1, the neg to the neg on battery 2, the charger recognizes 12 volts and away we go..correct? So here's my question...what type of car charger should i pick up to do this? meaning how many volts should i be looking at ? i was out and there were 10 , 15, 75, and various others to choose from...all were capable of detecting 6 or 12 volts so hopefully this prevents me from hooking it up wrong...and most had 2, 10 and more amps(switches) on them....coudl really use your advice on what to buy!!! Appreciate you responding!

to GCF owheaton! Hope you enjoy your stay.
    You can charge your batteries either one by one with a 6v charger or in pairs with a 12v charger.
    Almost any automotive charger will work and it really doesn't matter which setting you use, the goal is to bring the batteries up to a point where the cart charger can take over. Most of the cheapies are 2/10amp or 2/15amp and will work fine.

Your batteries are series wired so if you are using a 12v charger place the positive on battery #1 and the negative on battery #2, then the same for #3/#4 and #5/#6.
    It would be best to use a meter to confirm you have the right connections.
    Here is an idea of how your batteries are wired:

Comment

Doug, that is awsome, can you post a series of wiring like that for 4 12 volt batteries. I want to hook up a cigarette lighter to my 07 precedent and just need 12 volts. Thanks

Comment

Sorry Doug i just realized i was on ezgo forum.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X