X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert 36 volt wiring to 48 volt

Hello cart people :

I have a 99 ezgo pds stock cart.

Can someone please tell me how to up upgrade from the existing 36 volt wiring, to 48 volt?

A diagram would be awesome, I can follow them.

I want to do it right, not mickey mouse anything.

I would appreciate any help, pics, etc.

Thanks so much!

redman34

Hmm would be tough, unfortunately I dont have a article on this. But look ingot replacing the solenoid, batteries, motor, and controller. This job is more difficult since the cart is PDS.
    Regards

Comment

If you are just trying to get more speed out of it, how fast do you want to go?
      Depending on your answer your options can be anything from a $250 motor rewind to a full blown 48v conversion including controller, 4ga cables, 48v solenoid, 48v charger and new batteries.
      If you start with the motor you can use it for the conversion if you want more than about 22mph out of your cart.
      I can supply you with directions to do the conversion whenever you are ready.
      Note: If your cart is truly a 1999 it is likely a DCS cart not a PDS. PDS carts weren't made until 2001.
      A DCS cart has the F/R control down by your right leg and a PDS has a switch on the dash. They both have a run/tow switch and are sepex motors.
      Updated by dougmcp; September 8, 2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Doug : I am definately interested in your help and directions. Please pm them to me, if you would.

The plate on my cart says "manuf code" L501

It has a tow switch under the seat.

The f/r button is on the dash.

It has the "Precision Drive System " decal on the sides.

Comment

Your cart is a 2001 model which had a lot less problems than the previous 1995-2000 DCS carts.
          I will look up something I posted long time ago and see if I can find the instructions for conversion to 48v.

Comment

Yes, Doug, Please send the info to me.

As far as speed, I would like a little more than 22 mph, but am not stuck on a certain number.

If you can send me the wiring info, and parts list, that would be great. As soon as I get the info, then i decide which way I want to go, and can buy the batteries.

i am waiting because I want to buy and install all the batteries at the same time.

Thanks.

redman34

Comment

Are you going to purchase the 6x8v or the 8x6v?
              If your choice is 8x6v, you can purchase and install 6 of those to run the cart in it's current mode before you do anything else.

Comment

I will buy 8 of the 6 volt batteries.

redman34

Comment

I would get the batteries now and install 6 of the 8 in the cart and the last 2 when you do the conversion.
                  I couldn't find my conversion post so I created a new one from memory, take a look at it and ask me any questions you have.
                  Link: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...onversion.html

Comment

So redman34, haven't seen you here in awhile, where are you at in your project?
                    Have you had time to do anything yet?

Comment

The battery rebuilding had slowed down for about 3 weeks. That is when we were communicating.

So I installed 6 of the new batteries in the cart, so I could get in some golf in the last 2 weeks of the season, before the coarses close down. ( They close for a month to get ready for the snowbirds ).

Now I am swampped with batteries to rebuild. I have about 60 batteries this week to get done.

So the cart is on hold till the batteries slow down. I am also starting a buisness out here as a mobile golf cart flat tire repair.

Once I get back on the conversion, I will keep you updated.

thanks for checking on me.

Also, just became a grandpa, yesterday.

Comment

Congrats on becoming a Grandpa!
                        I have 7 of them so it's a little less exciting for me now.

The mobile GC tire repair business sounds interesting, is there a big call for that?

Looking forward to you getting back to the conversion.

Comment

Posted earlier by redman34 View Post

Also, just became a grandpa, yesterday.
                          Regards

Comment

Thanks guys, my first one. Unfortunately, she is in Chicago, so haven't seen her yet.

I just moved out to Indio, 3 months ago. The gated community I live in, has 3, 000 homes in it. It seems like everyone here has a golf cart.

So when they need service they call one of the dealers in town.

I use to plug tires when I was in high school. You never forget how.

So, i will be testing the waters here for going to the customers ( inside this community) and fixing their flats.

Got 30 more batteries today, so I will be busy for a couple days.

Comment

If you are still planning a upgrade to 48 volts the wiring is the same the components need to be upgraded to 48 volts though!
                              The motor is fine on 48 volts the controller and solenoid need to be swapped out.
                              sigpic
                              I'm here to help!
                              There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X