Batteries are bad due to nonuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries are bad due to nonuse?

New member, just registered here. I was looking at another forum, and dougmcp referred me over here.

I have a 99 ezgo pds cart. 36 volt and added a speed chip.

3 years ago I bought 6 new batteries for my cart, and never used the cart. I installed a " battery tender" trickle charge unit to it, in hopes it would keep the new batteries topped off.

I kept the cart at my desert home, where it gets up to 120 degrees some days, outside. My cart was in the garage, where it gets up to about 150 degrees.

Anyway, here is my sitch :

I just moved to my desert home, fulltime. I also now have a fairly climate controlled garage, between 79 and 100 degrees. My new batteries ( actually 3 years old now) have less than 5 miles on them.
    I plugged in my powerwise charger, and would not charge. I then charged the batteries in 12 volt incriments, and the charge would then kick on.

I was able to drive the cart around the block and made it back home.
    I was then going to try and do a load test on the batteries. So I charged the batteries overnight. Next morning I hooked my 36 volt lester load tester to the batteries, and it wouldn't run for more than 2 minutes.

I tried a hydrometer on the batteries, next. 4 of the batteries are a little over 6 volts, but 2 of the batteries are 4.2 volt and the other 3.8 volts.

So am I sol on these batteries? Do I need to buy all new batteries now? They are exactly 3 years old, look brand new, and have less than 5 miles on them.

Any help would be appreciated ,

Thanks,

redman34

I didnt see if you answered the magic question. When you got to the cart, were the batteries fully charged? If you left the charger on them trickle charging it should be fully charged all the time. If they were completely dead, it is time for a new set of batteries.
    Regards

Comment

to GCF redman34!
      Good to see you made the trip and thanks for joining us.

Regardless of the cycles you have put on the batteries they tend to peter out with age and also in high temperatures. Although you used a battery tender they may very well be shot.
      You can try to run them through a couple of charge cycles and see if they will come back but it is doubtful.
      A full charge on a 6v battery is 6.37v.
      If you charged the batteries and the 4.2v and 3.8v batteries are your readings before driving it they likely done and even the others at just over 6v are only at 50%.

You can get 6v batteries at Sam's club for about $75 apiece and they are really close in specs to the highly acclaimed Trojans.

Check out this state of charge chart to give you a better idea: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...rge-chart.html

Comment

Matti ; If I remember right, after months on the battery tender, I checked the water, and the level was down. It wasn't down low enough to have any exposed metal, but I had to add water to all batteries.

So after leveling out the water level, I unplugged the battery tender and tried to start the cart.

No go. It was then that I tried the 36 volt charger, and it would not kick in.

Doug : Thanks also so responding. Both sams and Cosco, out here in the desert, sell cart batteries. They are within pennies of each other, as far as price.

I am ready to buy new batteries, but am waiting for you to answer my pm, so I know how many to buy. Check it out, I pm'd you yesterday.

Thanks again guys, I love info about batteries.

redman34

Comment

Posted earlier by redman34 View Post
          No go. It was then that I tried the 36 volt charger, and it would not kick in.

I am ready to buy new batteries, but am waiting for you to answer my pm, so I know how many to buy. Check it out, I pm'd you yesterday.
          redman34
          You can either try charging your batteries individually with a 6v charger or in pairs with a 12v charger, once the battery pack gets to over 28v the 36v charger should function.

Sam's sells both 6v and 8v GC batteries, depending if you are going to stay with 36v or upgrade to 48v your battery choices are:
          36v - 6x6v
          48v - 6x8v or 8x6v
          The 8x6v will give you a 25%-30% longer run time, the issue is where to put the extra 2 batteries. If you don't use the bagwell for golf you can put the extra 2 there.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
            to GCF redman34!
            Good to see you made the trip and thanks for joining us.

Regardless of the cycles you have put on the batteries they tend to peter out with age and also in high temperatures. Although you used a battery tender they may very well be shot.
            You can try to run them through a couple of charge cycles and see if they will come back but it is doubtful.
            A full charge on a 6v battery is 6.37v.
            If you charged the batteries and the 4.2v and 3.8v batteries are your readings before driving it they likely done and even the others at just over 6v are only at 50%.

You can get 6v batteries at Sam's club for about $75 apiece and they are really close in specs to the highly acclaimed Trojans.

Check out this state of charge chart to give you a better idea: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...rge-chart.html
            I noticed you said Sam's club has 6 volt batteries. Do you know if they have 12 volt as well? Thanks

Comment

Posted earlier by johnnyj View Post
              I noticed you said Sam's club has 6 volt batteries. Do you know if they have 12 volt as well? Thanks
              Sam's have 6v and 8v but no 12v.

Comment

I read in a post here, that Doug said to recharge your batteries after 25 -30 minutes of use.

My question is, if i go out and play 5 holes of golf, it takes me about 45 minutes. I am not driving the cart constantly during that 45 minutes. If I do this 3 or 4 times a week, should I put my charger on the cart after each time, or can i let it sit for a couple or 3 days between?

Comment

Posted earlier by redman34 View Post
                  I read in a post here, that Doug said to recharge your batteries after 25 -30 minutes of use.

My question is, if i go out and play 5 holes of golf, it takes me about 45 minutes. I am not driving the cart constantly during that 45 minutes. If I do this 3 or 4 times a week, should I put my charger on the cart after each time, or can i let it sit for a couple or 3 days between?
                  You can do this but it does have some long term effects on the battery pack.
                  Lead acid batteries do not have a memory and they are best left in a fully charged condition.
                  Batteries left at less than 90% charge will sulphate the plates and that coating eliminates a portion of the battery from being charged, reducing your run time and life expectancy from the pack.
                  A good habit to get into is recharge the cart after each use of more than 15-30 minutes of pedal time.

Comment

OK, Another question :

I have new batteries. If I am going to let my cart sit for a month or even 2 months, what do I do about the batteries during that time?

I have a 36 volt battery minder, but am not clear when I should and should not use it.

I want to make these new batteries last as long as I can.

Also, right now after using the cart for about 30 minutes, I hook up the lester charger. Should I remove the lester charger, after it is down to zero?

Would it hurt anything to leave the lester charger hooked up and plugged in for days?

One more thing, when i am done for the day, should i put the toggle switch in the tow position, or does it matter?

Comment

The Lester charger should run until it shuts off unless it has a manual timer on it.
                      Once they shut off they will not restart charging until they are unplugged and plugged in again.
                      There is no need to place the cart in the tow position after use.
                      The run/tow switch removes the power from the controller.
                      If you are towing the cart, it is important to place in the tow position to avoid feedback from the motor generating power backwards to the controller.
                      If the cart is left for extended periods you should place it in the tow position to keep the batteries from going dead prematurely.
                      You only need to charge the cart monthly if it is left sitting over the winter months.
                      I'm not a real believer in the benefits of the battery minders but I guess you could use it and it may keep the batteries charged better. Only you can determine if it's working correctly by taking voltage measurements from time to time.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X