converting a shunt dc motor to a compound wound motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting a shunt dc motor to a compound wound motor

I have a 2.5 hp shunt dc motor that came off of a 1998 ezgo dcs freedom. I am trying to venture into some new areas for cheap speed/torque modification. So I am trying to rewind a shunt motor into a compound motor. And I know that a compound wound motor has the shunt in parallel and the series in series with the armature. I also know that the shunt has many turns of small wires while the series has few turns of bigger wire. Then, I have looked at a blue million wiring diagrams that show me the layout. But I want to see if anyone has tried this and if so how to hook it up and how many turns of the two different size wires did you use. And I know that alot of people will just say get a D&D motor and be done with it, but I like to do things like this to make one unusual. Once it is done you will have the awesome start off torque of a series while still having your controlled speed ontop. Any input would be very appreciated.
    Updated by benjibob25; May 13, 2011, 07:36 PM.

Some cautions need to be taken when using a compound wound motor. They are commonly referred to as a suicide motor because if the shunt should suddenly develop an open during operation, the motor instantly stops and reverses with disastrous results. My guess is that it would also take out the sepex controller if that's what you were planning on using.
    Other than the top speed limiting factor of a compound wound motor, I don't see any advantages.
    My thoughts are if you want more torque for the sepex motor you have, add a larger controller, it's simple and safe.
    If your biggest desire is for torque change the system to a series motor and for more speed and torque just add voltage.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X