Using Cart 3 weeks a year only???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Cart 3 weeks a year only???

We are thinking of buying an electric cart(something under $3k) that has been redone(paint, lights, mirror, windshield, mirror, new batteries, lift kit, bigger tires and wheels). We plan to use around 3 weeks a year at Ocean Lakes vs. renting those 3 weeks and being out over $700/year. My thought process is even if I invest $3k the cart will always have value and even at a $1k loss after a 4 years it really only cost me a little more than 1 years rent so the other 3 years I owned it vs renting I was in the black.

My main question is how do you maintain the batteries while it sits the other 49 weeks of the year. I have been told different things. One dealer said keep it plugged in 24/7. The company who I felt more comfortable with said 1x/month was sufficient to keep the batteries fresh but to make sure to keep the water topped off, terminals clean and tight. They said not necessary to drive but this method will maintain the batteries just fine and you will still get 4-6 years out of them. Can anyone offer their experience here?

Any other issues of not running an electric cart more than this. tks
    Updated by Cecilt; May 5, 2011, 10:07 PM.

Posted earlier by Cecilt View Post
    We are thinking of buying an electric cart(something under $3k) that has been redone(paint, lights, mirror, windshield, mirror, new batteries, lift kit, bigger tires and wheels). We plan to use around 3 weeks a year at Ocean Lakes vs. renting those 3 weeks and being out over $700/year. My thought process is even if I invest $3k the cart will always have value and even at a $1k loss after a 4 years it really only cost me a little more than 1 years rent so the other 3 years I owned it vs renting I was in the black.

My main question is how do you maintain the batteries while it sits the other 49 weeks of the year. I have been told different things. One dealer said keep it plugged in 24/7. The company who I felt more comfortable with said 1x/month was sufficient to keep the batteries fresh but to make sure to keep the water topped off, terminals clean and tight. They said not necessary to drive but this method will maintain the batteries just fine and you will still get 4-6 years out of them. Can anyone offer their experience here?

Any other issues of not running an electric cart more than this. tks
    Once every 25 days give it a charge. I wouldn't trust keeping a golf cart plugged in in an empty house for 3/4 of a year. Did you ever think about getting a gas golf cart? As long as you maintain it according to this article and change the oil often it will be good for many many years. http://www.golfcartsforum.com/questi...d-storage.html
    Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
      Once every 25 days give it a charge. I wouldn't trust keeping a golf cart plugged in in an empty house for 3/4 of a year. Did you ever think about getting a gas golf cart? As long as you maintain it according to this article and change the oil often it will be good for many many years. http://www.golfcartsforum.com/questi...d-storage.html
      Ocean Lakes only allows Electric so gas is not an option. Tks for clarifying the 1x/month charge.

Comment

You can also disconnect the batteries when you're done and leave them for as much as 4 months maybe even longer and not have any problems.
        Why not buy a trailer and take it with you and home again so you would be able to use it for more than just 2 weeks.
        Electric carts don't really need to be run but running them keeps things like rust from setting up in various electrical contacts, motors etc.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X