Club car went for swim in Ian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club car went for swim in Ian

I have a 93 DS CC that was running well until it went under 5' of salt water for a few hours. Replaced the fuse and got the charging port working. The batteries look OK (no excessive water in them, look like normal). It is currently taking a charge. The reverse switch wires broke off so I need that for sure. The wiring to the motor and controller look OK. I may need a solenoid.
    My question is where to start next. I am thinking about putting the rear end on jack stands and hot wiring the motor to see if it is OK, then work backward to the reverse switch to seer what else I might need. The controller (not a 5 solenoid model) seems to be a sealed unit so it is probably OK. There is the solenoid and the accelerator actuator. What am I missing and what should I be looking out for?
    It does roll so things are not really locked up.

Update, the motor seems to be bad. No continuity on either winding. If I can't find a deal on one, maybe from a guy who went to 48v, this thing may be toast. Buying a new motor, controller and wiper is $1500+ along with the other little parts and a lot of time.

Comment

Hey there! Sounds like your DS CC has had quite the aquatic adventure. Kudos for getting it this far post saltwater swim!

You're on the right track with your troubleshooting plan. Starting by isolating the motor is a smart move. Given the submersion, checking the solenoid is a good call too. Saltwater can wreak havoc on electrical components, so it might be a culprit, especially if it was directly exposed.

The accelerator actuator is another critical component affected by the water. Even if it appears fine visually, the internals might have taken a hit. It's worth a closer inspection or even a test if possible.

Now, while you've got things up on stands, don't overlook the bearings and other moving parts within the rear end. They might seem okay since it rolls, but a thorough check could prevent future issues down the road (pun intended!).

Lastly, give the wiring a meticulous once-over. Saltwater can cause corrosion and havoc in unseen places, so ensuring all connections are clean and secure will save you headaches later.

Comment

I decided to let someone else have all the fun and I got a 2018 Precedent 48v

Comment

Congratulations on your decision to pass the maintenance torch and dive into the fun with a 2018 Precedent! It's like trading in the toolbox for the steering wheel, a wise move indeed.

Speaking of the steering wheel, here's a little nugget of Club Car wisdom to sprinkle into your newfound golf cart adventure: Did you know that Club Car was the first manufacturer to trade the tiller for a steering wheel back in 1956? It's like they said, "Let's add some flair to the fairway!" Much like your decision to upgrade, Club Car has been steering the golf cart game in style for quite a while.

Cheers

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X