'84 36v, how to make it faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '84 36v, how to make it faster?

Would like to speed up the top speed, can this be done? I heard about "cutting the resistor coils", but do not want to damage this pleasure car!

Also looking for A-Arm 3" or less lift kit, for a reasonable price, seems like everything that says "golf" on it is like saying "marine", it is double the value.

Thanks to all for this great forum!

When the pedal is all the way down all the resistor coils are bypassed, putting all the batteries have to the motor. You can get some speed increase with heavier gauge wiring, new solenoid etc. But the biggest gain is having properly inflated tires. You would be surprised how much drag is increased by under inflated tires.

Comment

I answered your other post.

I wouldn't bother lifting a 36v cart. I have one, a 1989 DS.

To add to your "golf" and "marine" comment, the same goes for "camper", "Quad", "Snowmobile", "Motorcycle", "Boat", and the list goes on.......

More speed the cheapest way on your cart would be to buy either four 12vdc deep cycle batteries or 6, 8vdc ones, a 48v main solenoid and a 48v charger.

You'll come close to the cost of buying a controller and upgrading that way.

Comment

Converting to a 48v systems will make it faster, but you will sacrifice run time considerably. Say on average a 36v cart runs at about 70 amps, the same motor (resistance) at 48v will run at about 93 amps. Most think because you increase voltage you will draw less current. Not true. Using ohms law calculate it out. 36v at 70 amps equals about .5 ohms or 2520 watts , now with the motor being the same Resistance .5 ohms at 48v equals 93 amps or about 4480 watts, about 35% more current draw or 35% less run time. http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohm...calculator.php

Comment

Thanks Larry

More interesting facts,
          While you loose 25% of your run time your speed gain is in the neighborhood of 40% so distance traveled is slightly more than before. Now this is at WOT anything less than WOT the 48 volt system using a controller is at least twice as efficient as the resistor cart and all above math is not a factor and run times are twice or more using a controller.

Comment

Thanks to all of you, I am learing, fast!

Bruce

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X