88 club car slow and brake troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 club car slow and brake troubles

ok here goes brakes firstwhen i engage brake pedal cables pull forward and brakes engage when released i notice that the cables don't fully disengage checked brakes and i can engage brakes by hand and they release can i have bad cables? second cart is slow. fully charged read 37.2 across batteries. after using reading 35. across each solenoid read 34.7 but when i got to motor only reading 15 to 16 maybe i wasn't on the correct posts will check again in morning but white wire coming from solenoid to motor should be positive and black wire coming from for/rev switch should be neg i know which black wire to check because it came off and i had no forward. here is strange thing i noticed while cart was lifted off the ground and i was chking voltages i made sure that both brakes were totally disengaged. layed brick on pedal and noticed that driver side wheel was spinning slower then right side can this be a motor problem or axle problem. any suggestions.
    thx

I have an '89 CC and simply because of age, I replaced both brake cables.

M left rear wheel drags a little. I also ran my cart with the rearend off the ground and had the same result as you did.

I would only say that you have an axle problem if you are hearing strange noises from that area.

Disconnect all the batteries from each other and recheck your voltages. 37.2 seems kinda low after a charge. Do you know how old the batteries are??

All the battery connections and the cables need to be CLEAN, and free of corrosion.

If you are 100% POSITIVE your batteries are in good condition, and your cables are FREE of corrosion, then I would suspect a failing motor. 99% of the time, it's the batts, or cables.

Comment

im charging now will take reading in morning after full charge and will make sure all connections r good

Comment

after charge at 8 in morning reading 38.5 on batteries right now at 10:40am reading 38.4

Comment

Check the voltage on each battery and post your results.

You may have one bad battery, that one will drag down the rest under load.
          Updated by timflury; March 26, 2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

after charging this morning they were all reading 6.3. to 6.4

Comment

i cleaned all battery post and cables repaired the end of one going from motor to frd/rew switch (blk lead) but when i go across white lead and the other blk lead on motor in forward reading about17.9. across solenoids terms 1 and 2 reading 35.5 to 37. i did n't remove the wires from the motor to see what i was getting. any clue as to what would make this happen

Comment

Replace the brake cables, they are not real expensive. If he brake cable don't release completely your brakes could be dragging, putting extra strain on the batteries and motor. The cables should move freely. You will find the brakes will work much better also. The way to test to voltage at the motor is too have the rear wheels of the ground and the pedal all the way down, but I suspect that your problem is more brakes than voltage at this point. Set the brake and then release, see how it pushes. Then pull the cables all the way back at the rear wheels if it rolls easier you need cables . Another way it to disconnect the brake cable and see if it pushes easier. It is also possible the brakes shoes are sticking inside the wheels.
                Updated by Larry1950; March 28, 2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I've made sure brakes on totally disengaged by pulling back on the levers that the cables r connected to and check the brakes and wheels by pulling wheels and checking brake pads. I'm only getting half the voltage at motor on blk and white leads. had rear off the ground with brick on pedal. reading about 35 or 36 across terms 1 and 2 of all 5 solenoids. I,m going to pull wires from motor to see what i read

Comment

OK here is what I think is happening,. First of all on the field winding you will get about half the voltage. If it didn't the motor would not turn. When you change the F/R level polarity should swap on the field windings, this is how the motor runs in reverse. I believe you either have weak batteries or poor connections some where. It is also possible that the brushes are worn or the motor is tired. You need to check each battery voltage under load to see what they are doing. The way you can do this is while the cart is up off the ground is have someone be in the cart and apply the brakes to provide drag like its on the ground, then measure the voltage on each battery. Under no load you should get 6.3v and under load 5.9v. I have a 6 position meter on my cart that I can look at each battery as you go down the road, make it easy to spot a possible battery issue. I had 1 battery that read 6.2v no load yet dropped to 3.0v or less under load.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X