Rebulit Club Car 48 volt won't move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebulit Club Car 48 volt won't move

I rebuilt a 2001 Club Car 48 volt motor with new brushes. I had a buddy of mine turn the armature down. I then made sure the grooves were all cleaned out. I also replaced the batteries to the tune of 700 bucks. After I got it all put together I can hear the seleniod click and the cart attempts to go forward then stops...reverse the same. I felt the wires and they are'nt getting hot...I hope I didn't fry the controller...can some one give me some ideas...thanks. Oh and by the way.....this is a awesome forum...glad folks like you guys are around for idiots like me. I can add pictures if it will help.

Now did your cart run before doing all this work ???

Comment

Yeah it would go for about 18 holes with one person. I rechecked the brushes and the only thing I can figure Is the seloinod or I fried the controller. Could I have turned the armature to much? Thanks for the response.

Comment

Yes usually you sand them. Jack up the rear end and see if the tires spin (not at full speed) if they do then push the cart with someone else driving and see if it will go when moving. Also is it charged up

Comment

There are so many things that could be wrong.
          you can check the motor by putting your ohm meter on the armature connections and rotating the motor slowly (with all wires and batteries disconnected )

Comment

That makes sense thanks I will try it tomorrow....the batteries have been charging since 5 central.....charger says 3 amps. Can you be a little more specific about sanding. How long? I suppose my 10 yr old could drive...don't wanta push an adult lol thx
            Updated by code red; January 4, 2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

No good......wheels don't do anything this morning....gonna try to hunt around and see where the current stops. It did charge fully last night. You got anymore ideas. Thanks for they're response.

Comment

I got power up to the controller and selinoid.......the problem is problem is in between.....is the motor shorting out something?

Comment

Here is a schematic of the Club Car 2001 48V.........I know the problem is in between the controller and the selinoid.

Comment

do the push test, I want to see if the motor locks up.

Im not sure what your saying is the solenoid actuating or not.

Comment

No the selinoid is not popping least I can't hear it. When I push on the accelerator I can hear the microswitch engage in front of the cart but not in the back.

Comment

OK....I had it in neutral......yes the selinoid is engaging....then the battery light comes on immediately then goes off within 5 seconds

Comment

sounds like the motor or batteries are not hooked up correctly
                          push the cart and have someone else push the pedal if the cart locks up the motor is hooked up wrong.

Comment

Yeah it locks up......I took a picture of the wiring configuration before I started putem back in the same place.....should I switch a1 and a2?
                            Updated by code red; January 5, 2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

When I installed the brushes I put a1 180 and degrees away from each other and vice versa for a2?

Comment

Well I think I would try it

Comment

I am not sure how the brushes are wired on that motor, if the windings are 180 out then it would need opposite voltage. You may need to pull the motor back apart and use an ohm meter to check the windings on the armature.

Comment

Switched em same ole.......seems to me that armature was taken down too much or have the brushes staggered wrong.

Comment

I think I understand so since no mas switch the brushes to perpendicular?

Comment

I think I may have figured it out .......there was grindings of copper in the armature grooves....I tried to clean them out....guess it wasn't good enough. What if I took a dremel to the grooves?

Comment

Posted earlier by code red View Post
                                          I think I may have figured it out .......there was grindings of copper in the armature grooves....I tried to clean them out....guess it wasn't good enough. What if I took a dremel to the grooves?
                                          You still need to check armature winding with an ohm meter so that you know for sure how to wire the brushes

Comment

I know for sure the brushes are arranged correctly. I found a diagram of the motor and mine are in just as they show. I finally got it to move..I ran it for about 20 yards it was sluggish and has some vibration. It smells as if the motor is getting very hot. The wires to the motor are not hot.....I think I jacked the armature by turning it.....seems I am also gonna pay for a motor.
                                            Updated by code red; January 6, 2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Well I found a golf cart store that sells used motors for 150. I decided to buy a new motor. Found a motor called Admiral? Anyone had any luck with these.....got it for less than 400.
                                              Updated by code red; January 9, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                              X