Steering binds on '97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering binds on '97

I have a '97 club car and the steering wheel will barely turn. It binds at certain points and you can kind of fight through it to some degree but then it stops at a certain point and you cannot go any further.

I took the steering joint (U-joints) out to try and determine what is causing the bind. The gear box works smoothly without the joint hook up so I am guessing it is not that. The steering wheel itself turns without binding so that more/less rules that out. That leaves the steering joint/U-joints. There doesn't seem to be any unusual wear or slack in the joint with it out? Just looking at everything working with the front end off the ground the binding seems to be happening in the joint.

What do you think?

Take a close look at the gear and shock support (it's the part the steering gear bolts to), Sometimes if the cart takes a hit at just the right angle the gear and shock support will bend, this will put the steering gear at an odd angle which will cause the problem you have

Comment

Figured out what was going on. One of the bolts that holds the steering/shock frame had came off and allowed it to slip back and create a sharp angle on the steering joint. Moved it back in place and everything is good.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X