94 club car motor noise and loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 club car motor noise and loss of power

Today a guy with a 36 volt club car 1994 model stopped by. Said he hears a high pitch sound coming from his motor.

I rode around the block with him, and I could barely hear it ( my hearing sucks). I am not convinced it was from the motor, could have been from a wheel.

He said he noticed his speed is not as fast as it once was, and was wondering if I replace motors. I told him I have never replaced one, and also I am not convinced he needs a replacement.

I am thinking his loss of speed could be a battery issue. He said he replaced his batteries last year ( he is a snowbird). They are Exide brand batteries.

I am looking for any opinions regarding this motor noise and loss of speed? Do you think the two are caused by the same issue?

What would you do to narrow down the problem?

thanks for your time and suggestions.

Check his batteries first. Then look at bearings and brakes.
    sigpic
    I'm here to help!
    There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I had a cart doing this one time (the noise) and it wound up being the differential gears. It was mostly out of gear oil too. We bought a used diff and replaced it.
      You might check the oil level and also try and get a sample of the oil in the diff and if it has shiny particles in kind of like alum paint it could be a gear or bearing problem.

Just some thoughts............

Comment

buddybeme

Good call on checking the OIL !!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will get ahold of the guy and check it.

When I do check it, besides looking for the metal particcals, what else am I looking for?

As far as the level, once i remove the plug, should the level be right there at the plug level?

Also when I look at the axel, will the plug be easy to locate?

Comment

Also what kind of oil do i add?

Comment

Plug should be on driverside rear on drive unit. Owners manual calls for SAE 30 wt SE SF SG or higher.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X