New to golf carts, need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to golf carts, need suggestions

I am working on my mother in laws golf cart. It is a 98 Club Car 36v I think. It has 6 batteries so I am assuming that it is 36v anyway. I don't have any experience with golf carts, but I definitely know my way around the garage. First off, how can I tell for sure how many volts it is? Secondly, it has a rear seat conversion done already, and it has the heavy duty leaf springs with 4 springs on it. My brother in law is a big boy, and still manages to make it squat when he sits on the back seat. Is there any heavier springs, or any other way to beef it up? Next, it needs new tires. They use it at a wooded campground, with all dirt paths. Does anyone have suggestions for some good tires? Also, when they do get on the pavement, there is a little bit of a wobble, or so they say, at full speed. I already checked the front wheel bearings and tie rod ends, and they all seem good. There is a little bit of play in the spindle, but I am assuming that is from the wavy washer that goes on the pin before the spindles slides on. We ordered a service manual, but from my experience with other forums for other things, a forum is the best service manual. If anyone has any suggestions for accessories, or upgrades, or anything I would definitely appreciate it. Thank you guys.

Posted earlier by mberta2 View Post
    I am working on my mother in laws golf cart. It is a 98 Club Car 36v I think. It has 6 batteries so I am assuming that it is 36v anyway. I don't have any experience with golf carts, but I definitely know my way around the garage. First off, how can I tell for sure how many volts it is? Secondly, it has a rear seat conversion done already, and it has the heavy duty leaf springs with 4 springs on it. My brother in law is a big boy, and still manages to make it squat when he sits on the back seat. Is there any heavier springs, or any other way to beef it up? Next, it needs new tires. They use it at a wooded campground, with all dirt paths. Does anyone have suggestions for some good tires? Also, when they do get on the pavement, there is a little bit of a wobble, or so they say, at full speed. I already checked the front wheel bearings and tie rod ends, and they all seem good. There is a little bit of play in the spindle, but I am assuming that is from the wavy washer that goes on the pin before the spindles slides on. We ordered a service manual, but from my experience with other forums for other things, a forum is the best service manual. If anyone has any suggestions for accessories, or upgrades, or anything I would definitely appreciate it. Thank you guys.
    #1 Batteries=6volts will have 3 caps, 8 volts will have 4 caps to add water.

You could put a heavy duty shock on the cart if it has the springs already then it's about all you have left to do.
    Check the toe in on the cart for the wandering.
    Tires I like Alltrails if the cart is going to be seeing both dirt and pavement.
    sigpic
    I'm here to help!
    There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Check that your tire pressures are at least 22 lbs and with all that weight maybe 25 lbs.
      You may also want to check the wheel alignment 1/8"-1/4" toed in.

Try putting your B-in-Law in the front seat and see if the cart still wobbles.
      If you overload the back seat they will wander a bit because the front end gets pretty light.
      Here's a photo explanation of loading the back seat:
      Click to enlarge
      Attached Files

Comment

Doug makes a good point. The back seat loaded to it's max would make the cart handle differently than when empty for sure.

Just how big of a guy is he?
        Updated by andy4639; January 29, 2012, 11:16 PM.
        sigpic
        I'm here to help!
        There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Here's an extreme example.....

Comment

He is 22 years old, about 350lbs and autistic. He loves golf cart rides. Hey Andy, where can I get a set of all trails for a good price? Where are the best places to shop online anyway? I have been looking on buggies unlimited.

Comment

I popped the cover off of one of the batteries, and it has 4 holes. So that makes this a 48v cart then correct?

Comment

Posted earlier by mberta2 View Post
                I popped the cover off of one of the batteries, and it has 4 holes. So that makes this a 48v cart then correct?
                That is correct, 4 holes is an 8v battery x 6 = 48v.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X