slow to go & barely backs up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow to go & barely backs up

I've got a 2000 48v DS that has been getting slower and slower and reverse is worse, even when fully charged. I've tried all new batteries and keeping up with battery maintenance, but it hasn't helped at all. I had a local shop take a look at it and they just want to sell me a new cart. Is there anything that I can test to diagnose if there is a problem with the motor or something else that could be wrong? I've got lots of electrical and car experience, but I don't know much about golf carts.

First welcome to the board.

Are you sure the charger is fully charging the pack? You need to check this before tearing into it. If the charger isn't reading the pack voltage correctley it want charge them fully. Make sure the charger stays on and not cutting off 5 minutes after you walk off. Then when you come back you think it's fully charged, do you have a voltmeter? Check the voltage while it's charging and see what the charger is doing. 48 volt pack should be close to 55 volts when in full charge mode. Once they charge for several hrs it should taper down to around 50 volts.
    Once you know you have a good charge let it sit for about 8 hrs and check it then. The pack should read 50.93 are better.
    sigpic
    I'm here to help!
    There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Im with andy on this one you have to check the battery voltages and all connections first and post each battery and total pack voltage. Jack it up and do the same when running it slowly this would be an under load test.

once you do this, you can move on to other testing!

Comment

+1 on that, we had 2 that wouldn't make a full connection, one turned out the battery series wasnt wired correctly

Comment

Okay, I tested the voltages of the batteries, it's been a day or two since they were charged last and the cart has been running around a bit. Individual batteries tested at 8.27, 8.33, 8.28, 8.26, 8.27 and 8.40. Pack voltage was 49.8. I pluged the charger in and checked the pack voltate 1 minute later and it was 51.7. After charging for 10min the charger was still charging and pack reading was 52.8. I checked the amperage on the positive line running from the charger to the battery and it was 11.5 to 12 amps. I haven't had a chance to get the cart up to test what it's reading while running yet.

Comment

OK here is a handy dandy chart to print off and keep.

8.49 is a 100% charge after about 8hrs of sitting no riding.

50.96 is a full charge on 48 volts after 8hrs of sitting.
            According to your pack reading your getting around 70-80% charge out of the pack.
            I think you have either a bad set of batteries are the charger isn't putting out. You should be closer to 55 volts if the batteries are good. Have you checked the water levels in them?

tested at 8.27, 8.33, 8.28, 8.26, 8.27 and 8.40.
            They are almost dead and should be charged up good.

sigpic
            I'm here to help!
            There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I would also like to add on the battery maintenance. Running your batteries fully dead lowers the overall life of new batteries. Also, leaving your cart sitting for over 25 days with out a charge will have a negative effect.
              Regards

Comment

i have a 1989 36 volt club car. backs up fast but goes forward very slow. i changed some cables, is there something wrong with my work?

Comment

Posted earlier by lawrence main View Post
                  i have a 1989 36 volt club car. backs up fast but goes forward very slow. i changed some cables, is there something wrong with my work?

Comment

lawrence main

it actually sounds like you switched either Armature terminals or Field terminals maybe all of them Does it go forward when the switch is in Reverse ?
                    if not then its the half speed power is connected where the main power should be and main where half speed should be.

The old carts have a half speed reverse which means they use two batteries for reverse and full pack for forward swap these two battery leads

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                      lawrence main

it actually sounds like you switched either Armature terminals or Field terminals maybe all of them Does it go forward when the switch is in Reverse ?
                      if not then its the half speed power is connected where the main power should be and main where half speed should be.

The old carts have a half speed reverse which means they use two batteries for reverse and full pack for forward swap these two battery leads
                      thanks for the tip, cart runs great

Comment

Good call Gaminde!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        X