jerking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerking

the motor jerks when the pedal is pushed down.

Why the double post????

First thing I would check is the batteries. If any of them have a bad cell or two this would cause this. Also check each battery under load to see if any of them are dropping way too low.
    2005 CC Precedent

Comment

I agree with erict, you likely have a bad cable or battery connection.
      If you haven't taken them off and cleaned and tightened them, now would be the time to try that first.
      Post up your battery voltages after a charge and rest, maybe you have a bad battery as well.

Comment

new batteries in june. just load tested,all ex. 3 new controlers,did it with the stock controler. had motor checked ok. bypassed all switches. new rear end. new v glide. all new 4 gauge cables. does not jerk in reverse @ 100% with f&r switched by passed.the only place that the voltage drops when it is jerking is on field side of motor,it is 15 volts. does it through the whole pedal range.

Comment

Is yours a series cart or regen/sepex?
          If regen/sepex, you may want to check the speed sensor.

Comment

Don't use the speed sensor with Alltrax

Comment

I was assuming you had a stock CC, turns out not so.
              I'm confused as to what you have, rather than guessing can we start with what your cart is and what has been done to it and by who so that we can better drill down on your problem.
              Year? Series or Sepex? Mods done? Did the cart ever work correctly? When did it change?

Comment

98cc 48 volt pd2 just posted about everything that i have done. I do the work on the cart. Have you ever timmed one of the shunt motors? Have done a lot of the testing with Tim Dewitt at Nivel parts in Arizona. About the only thing i have not changed is the motor,had it checked and the company said it was ok.

Comment

I trust you are using the stock 3.1HP motor and timing would only affect your motor at very high rpms and unless this is extreme it shouldn't affect the cart.

Are you using the Altrax NCX or DCX controller and what amperage is it?
                  If it is the DCX what settings do you have on it?
                  What is the throttle up rate?
                  Do you have the Turbo enabled?
                  Is your reverse set at 1/2 speed?
                  Do you have any error codes?

Do you have a resistor across the large posts of the solenoid and a diode across the small posts?
                  Is the cart stock height with stock wheels?

Comment

Posted earlier by rich6111 View Post
                    new batteries in june. just load tested,all ex. 3 new controlers,did it with the stock controler. had motor checked ok. bypassed all switches. new rear end. new v glide. all new 4 gauge cables. does not jerk in reverse @ 100% with f&r switched by passed.the only place that the voltage drops when it is jerking is on field side of motor,it is 15 volts. does it through the whole pedal range.
                    I would like to try something reverse the field wires on the motor or controller and lets see what it does forward and reverse.

Comment

I just reread the post where it did the same with the stock controller.
                      I like gaminde's suggestion of reversing the field, that would eliminate any timing or brush issues.

Comment

does not jerk in reverse @ 100% with f&r switched by passed

This is what caught my eye

Comment

Have rev. the fields,same thing,jerks in f and steady in rev. It has the diode and res.Stock wheels.No error code.Both 50% and 100% on rev.Torbo on and off,same.Sepex. 500 controler cut to 75%. DCX. Throttle up is 3,tried it at 2 and 1. Have had the settings all over. Did the self check and sent the results to altrax and they said that it was the v glide,put on a new potentiometer and it still does the exact same thing.(I am still thinking motor?) I have jumped the field and the arm(the motor was completly unwired from the cart) and used jumpers to run the motor and it did not jerk,only went about half speed.

Comment

here are some things I would end up doing

1 wire straight through the F/R switch just hook up all wires to the one they would go to in forward.

2 get some 1 watt resistors correct resistance and eliminate the v-glide im guessing it does this when pedal is held steady?

3 there is an anti arcing switch mounted on the f/r sw this switch can cause it not to go in one or the other direction if so it could screw up in one or the other direction.

Comment

Gaminde:I have tied the red/white wire to the white wire on the f&r switch to totally elimanate it and it still jerks. I just put a new potentiometer on it and it still does it.This is a rocker switch and it has no anti arching switch.It did it with the f&r switch off of the cart.

Comment

Well your down to controller or motor go to my site and look for schematics at the bottom is one to connect motor straight to batterys, low voltage test one
                                or two batteries try that guess your almost there I like your persistence!!!

Comment

Gaminde: It has done it with the stock controller and several of the altrax. I did connect to the batteries,2 of them,then 3 all 6 and it did not jerk.With all 6 it only went about half speed but did not jerk. The motor is the only thing that i have not changed.but i had it checked and they said it was ok but they never run it because of no end plate.I may make one so that it can be run to test.It has don this sinse i have had it,it did it a little more when i put the bigger controller on.

Comment

Might be easier to to just pull the whole rear end out and test that way, check the brushes

Comment

I had the motor apart and it looks brand new in side.don't smell burnt,the bruhes are not sticking and they are .312 above the holders. The commutator looks good as does the armature. Changed the end bearing. Tested continuity on everything. If i jack the cart up and remove the wheels and bolt the drums on it does not jerk.As soon as i bolt the wheels on the motor jerks.I put on another pair of wheels and it still jerked.I thought that it might be in the rear end so i bought a 2008 and put it under there Thursday and it still jerks.

Comment

Thats telling me LOAD let the brakes drag with the wheels off and it will jerk ?

Comment

if you pull the motor again measure each commutator pad and see if one is bad
                                          put your meter on the brushes and rotate slowly see if it skips
                                          Updated by gaminde; December 18, 2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Ya know brakes will drag going forward and not reverse ?????

rotate that puppy by hand and see if it hits a high spot and drags
                                            Updated by gaminde; December 18, 2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Tons of great troubleshooting information posted in here currently, good job Doug and gaminde.
                                              Regards

Comment

Links?

Comment

It jerks without the drums on. I can't feel it with the brakes on without the wheels,it may be jerking a little? I still think it is the motor even if it checks ok

Comment

I too admire your persistence.
                                                    If you are doing a motor check, can you eliminate the batteries/connections by putting a voltmeter in the circuit and test for voltage drop under acceleration.
                                                    At this point, all of your checking leads me to think that you may even have a dead spot in the commutator like gaminde suggested.
                                                    Do you have a CC dealer in your area that you could borrow a motor from and give it a try?

Comment

The only voltage drop is on the field side which is around 15 volts.I think i wii change motors.I don't see anything else.

Comment

Do you have a source for motors?
                                                        If you're in AZ, give these guys a look, they're in Tucson: http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com/
                                                        Or at least give them a call, they know golf cart motors really well: 520-792-3080

Comment

It Will Not Win ~100~ It Will Not Win

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                                                            It Will Not Win ~100~ It Will Not Win
                                                            Is this spam?

Comment

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE
                                                              I was commenting on his Persistence

it will not win, write it 100 times

guess my humor is starting to suck If I have to explain it
                                                              Updated by gaminde; December 19, 2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I already talked to lunaindustries and they said controler.They are in with Nivel parts i think.

Comment

Nivel is a golf cart parts supplier and part of a large conglomerate by golf cart standards anyway.
                                                                  Nivel Industries also own Buggies Unlimited, Jakes Lifts, Fore-Par, etc, and sell to most of the golf cart dealers in North America.
                                                                  I don't think Luna has anything to do with them other than possibly being a supplier/ manufacturer for them. I could be wrong but that's my take on the situation.

Comment

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE
                                                                    I was commenting on his Persistence

it will not win, write it 100 times

guess my humor is starting to suck If I have to explain it
                                                                    It may be my limited grasp on humor that's holding me back.... then again, it could be you.

Comment

I vote for you

Comment

I vote for you
                                                                        We all mistakes sometimes, I bet you voted Obama too.

Comment

I was talking to Graig at Buggies Unlimited and he did not have an answer and he gave me the name of the head engineer for Nivel in Arizona who I talked to. I called Luna industries several days later and talked to the same person. I think that they supply a lot of motors. I found interesting.

Comment

The address for Nivel is 425 e grant rd and the address for Luna Industries is 425 e grant rd

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Good catch Rich, I never even thought of that so I went to their website and lo and behold, it appears they are somehow associated, either owned or joint ventured with Nivel.
                                                                              Check out their website page with the history on it: http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com/contact.htm

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Links?
                                                                                That post was a congratulations to you and doug, but it did sound like I was posting a link to an article.
                                                                                Regards

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                                                                                  We all mistakes sometimes, I bet you voted Obama too.
                                                                                  Regards

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I will have my new motor next Tuesday.Will put on new solonoid,res and diode.I am keeping my fingers crossed and I hope that it solves my problem.Thanks for all of your help!!!!!

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Me too, that was quite an exercise.
                                                                                      Good luck on the install and fix!

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Geez don't leave us hanging I want to know what happens
                                                                                        Also if you get a chance put a 1 watt resistor across the controller speed input and test.
                                                                                        the resistance values for Vglide are in the manual.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          hmmm

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Contact Robby at Plum Quick motors Ft Mill SC! They rebuild 1000's of motors a year.
                                                                                            sigpic
                                                                                            I'm here to help!
                                                                                            There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              The problem was in the purple wire going to the v glide somehow,it checks good.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                                                              Loading
                                                                                              X