How can I make my Golf cart faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make my Golf cart faster?

I have a 2001 club car 36 volt systems. I finally pulled the 3 12 volt batteries thats someone tried to make work and I installed 6x6 GC2. I may a couple spins around the block and its maybe doing 10mph . First is this a normal speed ? If so is there anything I can do to make it go 15ish MPH?

Thinking outloud::
    Controller cart?
    How about putting 1 more 6 volt battery in there Maybe 2 if they will fit.
    With 1 battery you may not need to change anything else With 2 batteries you may need to change solenoid and possibly controller but maybe not on the controller need to get specs on that controller. If your unit is a resistor cart then you need controller first. taller tires and or gear change could get you into 20 + mph.

Okay the real answer is $$$$

Comment

I'm guessing at 36v this is a resistor cart.
      12mph-14mph is a pretty normal speed for these.
      If you are looking for more speed I would rewind the motor, try Plum Quick for a $225 rewind that should get the cart to about 15-mph-18mph.
      Anything more than that and I'm with gaminde on this.... $$$.

Comment

When you say rewind the motor how is this done? Can I does this or do I need to take it some where?

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
          Thinking outloud::
          Controller cart?
          How about putting 1 more 6 volt battery in there Maybe 2 if they will fit.
          With 1 battery you may not need to change anything else With 2 batteries you may need to change solenoid and possibly controller but maybe not on the controller need to get specs on that controller. If your unit is a resistor cart then you need controller first. taller tires and or gear change could get you into 20 + mph.

Okay the real answer is $$$$
          The 6 - 6 volt batt. take up all the room. No extra batt. will fit. On a gear change any idea on size and type. I didn't think you could do this on an electric C.C.

Comment

Posted earlier by mg3playa View Post
            When you say rewind the motor how is this done? Can I does this or do I need to take it some where?
            Sorry for not being more descriptive, there is a company in SC that can upgrade your existing motor by rewinding it for more speed and power.
            Here is the link: http://www.plumquick.com/motors-and-...otor-upgrades/

Comment

Posted earlier by mg3playa View Post
              The 6 - 6 volt batt. take up all the room. No extra batt. will fit. On a gear change any idea on size and type. I didn't think you could do this on an electric C.C.
              If its a resistor cart I don't think i would do a gear change
              I have seen
              6 to 1
              8 to 1
              10 or 12 to 1
              15 to 1 I think stock

If you rebuild the motor it would work but again RESISTOR just not worth it

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                If you rebuild the motor it would work but again RESISTOR just not worth it
                True that a resistor cart is a little hard on run time if you drive it slow but at WOT the resistors are bypassed and all the battery power goes to the motor.
                Club Car were a little slower to phase these out and made the DS 36v resistor carts up until 2005 for golf course leases.

Comment

I seem to be getting 10 to 12 mph with my 86 DS 36V resistor cart with power cables in really rough shape. I was hoping to get a little more performance out of it with upgraded battery and power cables, F/R switch, etc. whilst leaving it a resistor cart. There's some steep hills at my lake place and I want to add a rear flip seat but I'd like to try leaving the speed control the same. Am I asking too much of this older technology?

Comment

If the cart is used on hills then I agree with the rest upgrade to controller. It's safer, more reliable and run time will increase with some speed and torque increases.

The coils get hot and I mean hot be care full in grass and don't park it on any kind of paper products.
                    sigpic
                    I'm here to help!
                    There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I put bigger tires and heavier cables on mine it seems to help.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X