Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie has a Club Car now with no info on it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie has a Club Car now with no info on it.

I know nothing about Golf Carts, except that I have wanted one for several years. I am disabled and plan to use it to get around the yard, maybe in an RV park and so on.
    My daughter gave this to me, telling me she knows nothing about it. She thinks it is a 2005 Precedent, but has no paperwork that she can find. I thanked her and put it in the garage. She is right, all 4 of the 12 volt batteries are bad. It sat in their garage for over a year without any charging. The ends of the batteries are bulging out.
    (1) How can I tell what year it is?
    (2) What model it is?
    (3) Can anyone point me the right direction on batteries?
    (4) Is the US 12VXC the only battery that works for this cart?
    (5) I heard Club Car does not provide service manuals online (like a
    download), so I need to find who sells them.
    (6) Accessory stores, as I will need to put the all weather canvas on it so
    that I can drive it in the rain, etc.

My apologies for the poor organization in this posting. I have written and re-written it until it is almost readable. Thanks for your patience.....

(1) How can I tell what year it is?
    Get the serial number and post it, it is located in the glovebox area.
    (2) What model it is?
    Check this out:
    (3) Can anyone point me the right direction on batteries?
    (4) Is the US 12VXC the only battery that works for this cart?
    I would recommend the US batteries and Trojan also make 12v deep cycle for your cart. Although neither of them are cheap, buy whichever are the least expensive.
    (5) I heard Club Car does not provide service manuals online (like a
    download), so I need to find who sells them.
    The complete service manual is available to you here after you get to 5 posts.
    (6) Accessory stores, as I will need to put the all weather canvas on it so
    that I can drive it in the rain, etc.
    How expensive do you want to go, there are cheapies and there are true all weather.

Just because your batteries are bulging they may still be serviceable. Try charging each battery with a 12v automotive charger first then put it on the cart charger and charge them up. You can take voltage readings after the charger has stopped and the batteries have rested overnight.
    The 4x12v set up that Club Car used is not known for long battery life.

Comment

S/N PQ0544-570004
      US Batteries or Trojan? I agree with the quality of Trojan, used their golf cart batteries on our boat for many years. Guess I will look around the Sacramento area to see who has the best deal.

Accessories .... I want good quality. If I cannot afford good, reliable stuff, I will wait until I can get them. I try to find good quality, then I look at the local dealers to see which has the best buy. I have paid the higher price before, but I knew the dealer and he would stand behind the product.

I charged one battery for ten hours at 2 amps and it had 3 volts. The next day I charged it at 15 amps and it wasn't much better. These batteries do not have ANY markings on them. Just black plastic. I have two chargers. An old Sears roll around and a new spiffy electronic Craftsman (been replaced under warranty already). I will try it again if you think it might help. Thanks so much for the quick reply...Dave

Comment

The Trojan Website says to use their T-1275 battery. BUT they show the Precedent using 8 volt batteries and the DS the 12 volt system.

I noticed a few people switched from 12 volt to an 8 volt setup. Guess the batteries would last longer.

A local dealer said they charge $230 for the Trojans.

BTW, anyone have any idea how much these Club Cars weigh? Just a ball park number, wouldn't want the wife to throw her back out lifting something that was too heavy.

Comment

Posted earlier by sacfo View Post
          S/N PQ0544-570004
          US Batteries or Trojan? I agree with the quality of Trojan, used their golf cart batteries on our boat for many years. Guess I will look around the Sacramento area to see who has the best deal.

Accessories .... I want good quality. If I cannot afford good, reliable stuff, I will wait until I can get them. I try to find good quality, then I look at the local dealers to see which has the best buy. I have paid the higher price before, but I knew the dealer and he would stand behind the product.

I charged one battery for ten hours at 2 amps and it had 3 volts. The next day I charged it at 15 amps and it wasn't much better. These batteries do not have ANY markings on them. Just black plastic. I have two chargers. An old Sears roll around and a new spiffy electronic Craftsman (been replaced under warranty already). I will try it again if you think it might help. Thanks so much for the quick reply...Dave
          You have a 2005 Precedent with an IQ drive system. If you PM me with your email address I will send you the owner's manual for your cart.

Nick's Golf Carts in Roseville (916-773-0606) is the CC dealer in the area and has some really nice all weather enclosures. They are probably in the $1000 range but I also have a guy here in Roseville who makes them and will see if I can get some pricing from him.

Your 12v batteries need to be at least 12.5v and anything less than 11.5v is done, so the one you have that won't come up over 3v is definitely bad.
          Batteries in golf carts should be replaced as sets.
          The closest distributor for US Battery is in Chico or Modesto:
          Battery Systems
          2303 PARK AVE
          CHICO CA 95928
          530-345-8207

Energy Masters
          1933 Esplanade
          CHICO CA 95926
          530-345-4129

Battery Systems
          1341 McWilliams Way
          Modesto, CA 95351
          209-577-4022

Comment

PM is on its way.

Do we use the T-1275 in the CC? I went to the Trojan site and that is the one they said I should use. I will check that too.

Thanks again, Dave

Comment

PM is on its way.

Do we use the T-1275 in the CC? I went to the Trojan site and that is the one they said I should use. I will check that too.

Thanks again, Dave
              T-1275 is correct.

Comment

S/N PQ0544-570004

Do you have the correct golf cart battery charger? Was it included with the cart?
                2005 CC Precedent

Comment

$202 each (out the door price) for the Trojan T-1275 is the best price I have found in the Sacramento area, still looking.

Thanks for the confirmation......Dave

Comment

We posted at the same time^^^^^^^^
                    2005 CC Precedent

Comment

I believe the charger is a Power Drive II.

Comment

None of the other three batteries came up above 6 volts after several hours of charging. That answered that question. It will have to be four new ones.

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news.
                          Can you find some batteries to at least troubleshoot the cart before you buy new batts?
                          Any 12v batteries will do for a test. Maybe you could borrow some.

Comment

You are a wise man. I went ahead and got the batteries, put them in according to the diagram, cleaned out the trays below the batteries, then connected all of them. All went well until I touched the final hot battery cable to the post and it nearly welded itself on.

I jerked hard and it came loose, but I may have to file that post a little to get the nut on. SOMETHING ON THE CART MUST BE TURNED ON???

I took the key out of the ignition, it was straight up and down, which I thought was the off position, then I took the emergency brake off.

The unit doesn't have a radio, lights, etc. so I am not sure what might be turned on.

Any ideas? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks again, will check back here in a little bit.
                            Updated by sacfo; December 7, 2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I dont think it is something "turned on" it is more like a crossed wire somewhere or one that is grounding out.
                              Regards

Comment

OK, well....I don't have a schematic, but I can start taking it apart. This same post on the battery has a second red wire running to it and it seems to be "ok" with being put on the battery post. Not sure what that wire is powering, but after a few hours of pulling it apart, I might find out.

It has to be a direct short or a major item to draw that much power. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the quick answer....Dave

BTW Matti, is there any particular area CC have wiring problems?
                                Updated by sacfo; December 7, 2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

You are a wise man. I went ahead and got the batteries, put them in according to the diagram, cleaned out the trays below the batteries, then connected all of them. All went well until I touched the final hot battery cable to the post and it nearly welded itself on.

I jerked hard and it came loose, but I may have to file that post a little to get the nut on. SOMETHING ON THE CART MUST BE TURNED ON???

I took the key out of the ignition, it was straight up and down, which I thought was the off position, then I took the emergency brake off.

The unit doesn't have a radio, lights, etc. so I am not sure what might be turned on.

Any ideas? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks again, will check back here in a little bit.
                                  You have to have the run/tow switch in the tow mode to do battery work.
                                  With any luck you didn't do any damage to your controller.
                                  It's normal for the spark when connecting the last battery.
                                  Have you had a chance to read the service manual on this?
                                  The wiring diagram for your cart is here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...g-diagram.html
                                  The service manual is here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...ce-manual.html
                                  Updated by dougmcp; December 8, 2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

BTW Matti, is there any particular area CC have wiring problems?
                                    No usual spot, the most I have seen was user error. Use a wiring diagram and hope that you didn't fry anything yet!
                                    Regards

Comment

Thanks for the info on the schematic, etc. I have them now.

When we stayed at Zephyr Cove RV park the last two winters I had my mobility scooter up there with me. I would go visit with the men who maintain their fleet of golf carts and they told me the same thing. So thankfully, I remembered and put it in tow before I even removed the bad batteries. I may have lucked out. Not that the controller couldn't have been fried some other time by my grandkids (Strong like Bull, Dumb Like Rock as we used to say in the Air Force).

It is 33 outside, so warmer weather will be needed, or my friends might try to roll it around back and inside through the patio door. Maybe my wife won't notice......

My right knee has completely quit working for the moment, so it will be a day or two before I get to it. Keeps me busy. Thanks so much for your help, I sure appreciate it....Dave

Comment

GOT IT FIXED!!!

Plan A was to take it apart to check for a bad wire. Plan B was to take a 40amp fuse, put one end on the battery post and touch the battery cable to the other side of the fuse. If the fuse popped, I figured I would have a bad short. If it did not, I would use a 20 amp fuse and so on.

None of the fuses blew, so I hooked the battery cable on it and watched for smoke.

I then picked up my tools, backed out of the garage and ran it a block or so down the street. It runs great. Too cold to go very far today.

Thanks for the help....Dave

Comment

Glad to hear all is well.
                                          New batteries will be at about 95% of their capacity after the first 15 charges or so. It can take up to 50 charges for them to come up to their full 100%.

Lead acid batteries have no memory, recharge the cart each time you have more than 30 minutes of pedal time. Never leave them in a discharged state as they will sulfate and lose efficiency and lifespan.

Comment

Good Advice. I will park it in my barn out back, it has 110 volts. My 1995 Honda Lawn Tractor has resided in that barn since it was new and it still has the original tires, seat, etc.

I took it in for repairs last June and as they unloaded it the mechanic asked what the white stuff was on the side of the Honda. He stepped closer and started laughing, asking me if I really waxed my lawnmower. Of course I do!!
                                            Same with the CC. I want to set it up where I can use it year round. In the place for golf clubs I will try to see if I can put a couple of E bottles (oxygen), or I will get a seat that folds down.

And a windshield, and an all weather cover...... and .... and ....oh well, better quit dreaming and go to bed. Thanks again....Dave

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                            X