brake lights and 12v pwer outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake lights and 12v pwer outlet

I want to add a LED brake lite (on the back of my roof) and a 12v pwer outlet on the dash for a portable search light to my 2008 Precedent (4 12v batteries >. 48 volts). The cart came with an aftermarket Precedent head lite/tail light kit which is fine. But I would like to have the brake like separate from the tail lites. The pwr outlet should be hot all the time (no key needed) and the brake lite should only operate with the key on. I am a shade tree mechanic but I have no experience with electric vehicles or 48 volts. Clearly somewhere my cart has a 12 volt circuit. The only place I can find 12v is at the headlight connection with its switch on....which would probably work if I had the headlites on when I wanted the pwr outlet. But that ain't what I wish!!!
    Obviously I need a micro brake lite switch (wired always off until the pedal movement turns it on). Don't know where to find such a thing and I guess I will need to fabricate a bracket somewhere in the pedal box. Be that as it may, first I have to solve how to get current to brake lite with the key on and pwr on the outlet with no key.

I apologize, this is way too long and complecated. Perhaps I should just find some cart operation and pay to have it done. But that ain't much fun for a retired tinkerer!!! Don't let me tie up the forum....if needed just tell me to hush! oldbill

This should be pretty simple oldbill.
    Most headlights operate without the key on, do you have to have the key on to use your headlights?
    My guess is that unless you have a 48v to 12v converter on the cart the accessories will be wired to one of the 12v batteries.
    Check your battery pack for some telltale small wires that might be the poser supply for your headlights.
    Do you have brake lights now?
    Don't worry about tying up the forum, we live for stuff like this.
    Updated by dougmcp; November 16, 2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks Doug. Yes, headlites/tail lites operate without key and from a simple pull switch on the dash. I intend to get in there again and see if I can find the "upstream" side of the switch, which should give me "always on" pwr for the 12v outlet. Will post my findings. See no sign of oddly placed wiring in battery box, so I guess somewhere there is a converter (that I can't find).Still need to engineer the brake lite. Where might I find a suitable micro switch? No I do not currently have brake lites....just taillites. I am guessing that the key would only carry 48 volts, since it only affects the operation of the cart. Perhaps a second converter (wired to the key terminals) could provde what I need??? Anyway, will work on the first issue soon. thanks

Comment

I'm not sure which tail lights you have but you should check to see that you have 3 leads coming off of them, negative, tail and brake. If you only have 2 leads you will not be able to incorporate the brake light/tail light function without changing the rear lights.
        Not all Precedents have a voltage converter, if you have a factory one it will be above the steering rack in the center of the frame (hard to see and get to).
        Most brake lights on CCs use a timer function but mine had a simple microswitch attached under the cart that worked off the brake pedal and I liked that set up better.
        If you are planning a high mount brake light on the canopy and want to avoid the intricacies of the wiring I would suggest 2 separate LED lights wired to the brake/signal light on each side.
        If you want to have just a top/centered brake light try this link: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2Fblb-r9.htm

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X