newbie neding some HELP !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie neding some HELP !

ok guys i just bought my 1st cart to use next summer at the campgrounds the guy i got it from is a frend of my mother n law so on an on an got it with the house they just bought an didn't want it so!!!

says club car on the emblems it has 6 8 volt batries so i'm asuming it's a
    48 volt cart?? but what year ?? an model IDK ??? it has the rear flip down seat option an a top runs good LOL !!

I was told you can tell evrything by the serial # if so COULD SOMEONE PLEASE BREAK DOWN MINE FOR ME? SN# AA0136-064526

thanks..
    RETIRED POLICE SGT.S.SPRATT

Here you go! http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...golf-cart.html
    Regards

Comment

2001 if you were wondering, yes 48 volt.

controller cart, its a club car DS, if it runs good dont touch it or you'll break it! There is some good Club Car articles in this forum http://www.golfcartsforum.com/genera...ked-questions/
      Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by thefuzz View Post
        ok guys i just bought my 1st cart to use next summer at the campgrounds the guy i got it from is a frend of my mother n law so on an on an got it with the house they just bought an didn't want it so!!!

says club car on the emblems it has 6 8 volt batries so i'm asuming it's a
        48 volt cart?? but what year ?? an model IDK ??? it has the rear flip down seat option an a top runs good LOL !!

I was told you can tell evrything by the serial # if so COULD SOMEONE PLEASE BREAK DOWN MINE FOR ME? SN# AA0136-064526

thanks..
        AA=DS Electric Golf Car, 48 Volt System
        01=2001 year
        36=built 36 week of the year

the rest of the serial number means nothing.
        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

to GCF fuzz!
          Does your cart have a run/tow switch?
          What are your plans for winter storage?

Comment

thanks guys ! yes it runs great, Doug WHERE would I look for a run/tow swich FNR on the shifter ?? as far as winter storage ? I was just going to pull it into the wooden shed with my lawn mower an things! it isn't heated but it's closed up good tho. is there anything I should do ???

Comment

If you have a run/tow switch it will be located under the seat between the batteries.
              In your colder climate, batteries will freeze if left uncharged.
              I would charge the batteries and then check the electrolyte level, plug the charger in once a month to make sure they stay charged.
              If they need water, use only distilled and only fill 1/4" to 1/2" above the plates.
              If you have a run/tow switch place it in the tow position.
              If you want, you can also disconnect 1 post from the batteries to assure you have no parasitic battery drain.
              There's really not much else to do with a cart.
              If your cart is stored inside an unheated shed it will be fine.

Comment

I'm in Michigan and we can have the cold snaps as well. I plan to turn the charger on every two weeks to keep them charged. Also make sure you take your seat off so the mice don't have an enclosed area to seek shelter and cause damage. I also bought some peppermint oil which I will apply to some cotton swabs and place around and in my cart to deter them. I have my tractor in my attached garage and they built a nest in the engine compartment and chewed two wires and I use this tractor during the winter so it doesn't take long for them to set up shop. My cart will be in my pole barn so there wont be any activity in there during the winter so I must take precautions.
                2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                  If you have a run/tow switch it will be located under the seat between the batteries.
                  In your colder climate, batteries will freeze if left uncharged.
                  I would charge the batteries and then check the electrolyte level, plug the charger in once a month to make sure they stay charged.
                  If they need water, use only distilled and only fill 1/4" to 1/2" above the plates.
                  If you have a run/tow switch place it in the tow position.
                  If you want, you can also disconnect 1 post from the batteries to assure you have no parasitic battery drain.
                  There's really not much else to do with a cart.
                  If your cart is stored inside an unheated shed it will be fine.
                  I bought a battery fill bottle and hope this makes the job easier then trying to use a flashlight and determine the correct level as its tough to gauge it
                  2005 CC Precedent

Comment

I will look to see if it has a run/tow swich ! where do you buy a battery refill bottle at ?

Comment

You can buy a battery filler at any auto supply or online for $8.
                      They automatically stop filling at the right spot. I've been using one on my boat and cart for years.
                      They look like this:

Comment

You can buy a battery filler at any auto supply or online for $8.
                        They automatically stop filling at the right spot. I've been using one on my boat and cart for years.
                        They look like this:

Doug, is there any special trick to using it? I haven't tried mine yet but just wonder if you hold it there for a certain amount of time to fill it. basically, how do you know its filled?
                        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

You can hear/feel it glug as it is filling, when the noise stops it's filled.
                          It's really handy, especially on my boat where I can't see all the cells and have to count on the filler bottle working.
                          Test it on a soda bottle with regular water, see and hear for yourself.

Comment

You can hear/feel it glug as it is filling, when the noise stops it's filled.
                            It's really handy, especially on my boat where I can't see all the cells and have to count on the filler bottle working.
                            Test it on a soda bottle with regular water, see and hear for yourself.
                            Thanks Doug, got it
                            2005 CC Precedent

Comment

KOOL I'll get me one tomoro! I looked at my cart today all over dash under seat around the battries an I CAN NOT find a run/tow swich ? IS it posible there isn't one??? or why can't I find it ??

Comment

KOOL I'll get me one tomorrow! I looked at my cart today all over dash under seat around the batteries an I CAN NOT find a run/tow switch ? IS it possible there isn't one??? or why can't I find it ??
                                If you have a lever (not a rocker switch) down by your right knee to change F/R then you have a series cart and have no run/tow switch.

Comment

YES I do F N R .

WHAT IF I ever have to pull or tow this ? I was told you can't ? how you get it to the house if it's clear back by the pond if something happends to it ? for example ? CAN IT BE TOWED IN NETURAL ???

Comment

If you have no run/tow switch, you can tow your cart without worries.
                                    With a series cart there is no electrical feedback to the controller from towing.

Comment

thanks Doug This is the 1st cart I'v ever owned so I'm wanting to know as much as posible so i don't tear it up doing somthing stupid or ? I am wanting to add some wheels an tires leaving it the stock height [if posible] an headlights/tail lights mayby a sterio later on. I'v read you have to have a voltage reducer could you recomend one or sugest one ?

Comment

If your 48v cart uses 6x8v batteries you will need a 48v to 12v converter to power your accessories like lights, radio, horn etc.
                                        If your cart is using 8x6v batteries, you can also use 2 batteries without a converter for your accessories.
                                        They are easy to install and if you are fairly comfortable with electrical wiring you can order a 48v-12v converter on ebay for anywhere from $15 to $70 that will do the job.
                                        Here's a couple of the ebay converters:
                                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-DC-...item2eb84f1196
                                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Redu...item2ea9b26b0d
                                        Updated by dougmcp; October 19, 2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

mine has 6 8volts. i was reading that the more lights an stuff you add the more amps you have to have on the reducer? i'v seen tem from 10,20,up to 30amps for a 48volt to 12 volt reducer so do you have to have a 30amp to run lights,brakes,turn signals,radio, on 6 battries or do you have to have a 30amp one ?

Comment

mine has 6 8volts. i was reading that the more lights an stuff you add the more amps you have to have on the reducer? i'v seen tem from 10,20,up to 30amps for a 48volt to 12 volt reducer so do you have to have a 30amp to run lights,brakes,turn signals,radio, on 6 battries or do you have to have a 30amp one ?
                                            I would get a at least a 20amp so you have some cushion and also room to add more accessories down the road. Also, if you add a converter I would recommend adding a relay that will turn it on and off with the ignition so you wont have a battery draw from the converter and also for a safety standpoint.
                                            Updated by erict; October 19, 2011, 06:00 PM.
                                            2005 CC Precedent

Comment

The fuz, so were you a seaman cop??

Comment

like I havn't heard that one befor !!! LOl.

Comment

I'm sorry, but if you knew me, you would know I just had to.

Comment

like I havn't heard that one befor !!! LOl.
                                                    Regards

Comment

I can't find one of those battery filler bottles anywhere, asked autozone, O'relies had a turky baster looking thing LOL. napa wasn't sure if they even still maid them?? WTH ?? can anyone come up with a store part # or place online to order one at !!
                                                      LOL !
                                                      thanks...

Comment

I can't find one of those battery filler bottles anywhere, asked autozone, O'relies had a turky baster looking thing LOL. napa wasn't sure if they even still maid them?? WTH ?? can anyone come up with a store part # or place online to order one at !!
                                                        LOL !
                                                        thanks...
                                                        I have been in the auto parts business for 20yrs and it doesn't surprise me some gave you that blank look. Tell them to do a little research and it may surprise them on what they sell.....

O'Reillys
                                                        http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...battery+filler

NAPA
                                                        http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...161_0282425161
                                                        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

thanks erict your right some just don't want to take the time to search/look if it isn't right there I will have one by the end of the day. LOL...

Comment

thanks erict your right some just don't want to take the time to search/look if it isn't right there I will have one by the end of the day. LOL...

2005 CC Precedent

Comment

So I didn't have much time but you asked for a drawing to install a DC-DC Converter with a toggle switch.
                                                              I have used the Fore-Par 36v/48v to 12v, 30 amp, Model 4-389E that has a switched power on function.
                                                              This isn't a true schematic, more of a layout but it should give you some ideas to ask questions about.
                                                              I'll do a better job to post up as a mod but for now, I hope this helps, click on photo to enlarge:
                                                              Attached Files
                                                              Updated by dougmcp; November 4, 2011, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                              X