High voltage on batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High voltage on batteries?

I was charging my cart the other day (2006 CC DS) and it tripped the breaker in my fuse box. I have to admit i had several things plugged into this circuit and its only a 20 amp breaker.

I was in the garage when it happened and had just check to see where the charge state was at on the bats. The amp meter showed between 2-3 amps left on the charge.

After resetting the breaker I plugged the charger back in to make sure it wasn't fried. It wasn't. It went up to 15 then dropped back to 3. Which is what I would think it should do after a charge?

I checked the charge on the batteries and it showed 58.4. I thought this was kind of high as I am used to seeing the number around 54. I took it for a drive and everything checked out ok. I thought I'd check the bats again the day following this happening to see what they read. This time I got a reading of 64.8. This blew my mind as I couldn't figure out how/why they would be that high. I checked each battery and they were reading between 16.1 and 16.3. These are brand new batteries and only the second time they have been charged. They were at 48.6 when I started charging them.

Is this normal? Something I should be worried about?
    Updated by Bone Head Hunter; October 12, 2011, 09:28 AM.

From you readings I take it you have 4x12v as your battery pack, is that correct?
    Assuming that, all seems normal if your high voltage readings were taken while the batteries were being charged. They will hit that as a max voltage near the end of the charge cycle which is the equalization stage.
    To get a true idea of how your batteries are, measure the next day after charging and resting overnight.
    Your pack voltage on a new set should be around 52.1v and each battery should be around 13.1v.
    Anything above 51.0v on the pack and 12.75v each is considered perfect.

Comment

Doug, he did check them the next day and the reading was higher
      2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Posted earlier by erict View Post
        Doug, he did check them the next day and the reading was higher
        I read that and assumed it was with the charger on. With a 48v pack it is impossible to get the readings that high without the charger; either that or something is amiss with his meter.

Comment

I'll check the voltage again tonight. I had the same thought on the meter.

May have to pick up a loaner from someone to make sure its not the problem.

Comment

Well I tested with a borrowed meter and double checked with mine. I had 54.2 with both meters. I can live with that.

Thx for the ideas..
            Updated by Bone Head Hunter; October 13, 2011, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Posted earlier by Bone Head Hunter View Post
              Well I tested with a borrowed meter and double checked with mine. I had 54.2 with both meters. I can live with that.

Thx for the ideas..
              That's probably OK with new batteries, it will sag in the next 6 months a little.

Comment

Got the buggy out this evening to put ot throught its paces. Climbed a couple of big ridges and ran it off and on full pedal for 20 minutes. Wanted to see what the drain would be on the batteries just to make sure the charge I had on it was not a fluke.

Checked it when I got back to the garage and both meters were at 53.1.

All is good
                Updated by Bone Head Hunter; October 13, 2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X