cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cables

do all the battery cables need to be the same size ? I have a bad cable and was wondering if I could put a cable that I bought for a car on my cart til I can get a new set ?

Yes you can temporarily use the cable you have.
    If your cables are in bad shape you should consider investing in a new set.
    4ga is preferable to the stock 6ga and you should be able to get a set for less than $25.
    Updated by dougmcp; October 7, 2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

What is the difference between the set of cables that cost $25 and those that are $200?

Comment

Also Doug, when changing from 6ga to 4ga does this include changing the packs neg/pos to electronics as well?
        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Posted earlier by Moonbuggy View Post
          What is the difference between the set of cables that cost $25 and those that are $200?
          Sometimes the number of cables, the quality and the mark up.

The cable sets that cost $25 usually only have the battery cables which is about 5 cables, normally that is enough if you are just replacing with the stock 6ga size your cart came with.
          To do the complete job with 4ga including the motor, controller and solenoid needs 11 or so cables.
          Complete sets in 4ga cost $110 to over $200, the difference in those is some quality and mostly mark up.
          If you were to make them yourself, 4ga cable costs about $1.50 a foot and lugs are about $1.50 each so a complete set of cables is about 20' and has 22 lugs which puts your net cost at about $65.

Comment

Posted earlier by erict View Post
            Also Doug, when changing from 6ga to 4ga does this include changing the packs neg/pos to electronics as well?
            Yes, every cable that carries current to the motor needs to be changed.
            For your cart that would include the batteries, controller, OBC and solenoid.

Comment

It's an easy job to make a custom set of cables from 4ga wire and standard lugs. Even if the wire is purchased at a cost of about $1.50 per foot, the whole job runs less than $55.

Comment

Posted earlier by tombdavis View Post
                It's an easy job to make a custom set of cables from 4ga wire and standard lugs. Even if the wire is purchased at a cost of about $1.50 per foot, the whole job runs less than $55.
                There are suppliers out there charging $200+ for these sets which I guess is OK if you can't DIY.
                Updated by dougmcp; November 23, 2011, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X