Loud whine from the differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud whine from the differential

I bought a used cart that had lots and lots of golf course service (and almost zero maintenance) so I am sure it is a "high mileage outfit". It has a fairly loud whine at higher speeds (like the newer carts at my golf course, only much louder). It goes from a whine to a modulated "wonkety wonk" at float. If it were a RWD automobile, I would say it was likely a pinion bearing or maybe just worn pinion/ring gears, but what is it likely to be in the case of my 2005 Precedent? Is it worth pursuing .... just for a quieter ride or is it a fairly big deal to fix? BTW- I must admit I haven't ckd the oil level....but there is no sign of a leak either. I do intend to change the oil in the near future....I am sure it has never been done .... from what I have observed in my rebuild of the front end where the king pin zerks never saw a grease gun. TIA ed s in TX

Posted earlier by youracman View Post
    I bought a used cart that had lots and lots of golf course service (and almost zero maintenance) so I am sure it is a "high mileage outfit". It has a fairly loud whine at higher speeds (like the newer carts at my golf course, only much louder). It goes from a whine to a modulated "wonkety wonk" at float. If it were a RWD automobile, I would say it was likely a pinion bearing or maybe just worn pinion/ring gears, but what is it likely to be in the case of my 2005 Precedent? Is it worth pursuing .... just for a quieter ride or is it a fairly big deal to fix? BTW- I must admit I haven't ckd the oil level....but there is no sign of a leak either. I do intend to change the oil in the near future....I am sure it has never been done .... from what I have observed in my rebuild of the front end where the king pin zerks never saw a grease gun. TIA ed s in TX
    I would like to know the response on this as well. I bought a 05 CC Pres as well but mine has only been used about six times and looks brand new. I wonder if I should change my rear end fluid with the low hours it has.
    2005 CC Precedent

Comment

youracman, some of the things to look for is:
      1. Check the rear axle oil, if it hasn't been changed in the last 5 years, now would be a good time to do it. You can use any 30w oil and even a synthetic may quiet it down a little.
      2. The bumper on the motor shaft may need replacing. You need to pull the motor to find it.
      3. It also could be motor bearings, unlikely but still could be.
      erict, you shouldn't have any problems with yours but it could always use a rear axle oil change.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
        youracman, some of the things to look for is:
        1. Check the rear axle oil, if it hasn't been changed in the last 5 years, now would be a good time to do it. You can use any 30w oil and even a synthetic may quiet it down a little.
        2. The bumper on the motor shaft may need replacing. You need to pull the motor to find it.
        3. It also could be motor bearings, unlikely but still could be.
        erict, you shouldn't have any problems with yours but it could always use a rear axle oil change.
        Do you think I should do it with low hours?
        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Posted earlier by erict View Post
          Do you think I should do it with low hours?
          The factory recommends every 5 years regardless of hours.
          You could probably get away with not changing it but IMO oil's cheap, why not change it while it's sitting during the winter months.

Comment

The factory recommends every 5 years regardless of hours.
            You could probably get away with not changing it but IMO oil's cheap, why not change it while it's sitting during the winter months.
            Good point. It will sit for the winter but will change it come spring and grease the front suspension as well. Is the front end the only area that requires grease?
            2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Good point. It will sit for the winter but will change it come spring and grease the front suspension as well. Is the front end the only area that requires grease?
              yes http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...on-points.html
              Regards

Comment

Thanks Matti Am I correct that there is 11 Zerk fittings to grease?
                2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Thanks Matti Am I correct that there is 11 Zerk fittings to grease?
                  I am not 100% sure, I thought there was less. A quick call to any Club Car dealer service will get you the for sure answer and let us know.
                  Regards

Comment

The link posted is for an EZGO.....but I believe erict has a 2005 CC Precedent? If so, there are 2 grease zerks (just like the owner's manual [downloadable] shows on pg 34) Lube these two (one at ea king pin) and you are finished with the front end.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Posted earlier by youracman View Post
                      The link posted is for an EZGO.....but I believe erict has a 2005 CC Precedent? If so, there are 2 grease zerks (just like the owner's manual [downloadable] shows on pg 34) Lube these two (one at ea king pin) and you are finished with the front end.
                      Thank you youracman So only two zerks on the 05 CC Precedent.
                      2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Downloaded the manual
                        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Downloaded the manual
                          Now there's a few hours of reading pleasure.....

Comment

Now there's a few hours of reading pleasure.....
                            Just keep it in the bathroom you will have plenty of time to read

Before you do anything get some STP oil additive add it to the rear end (may need to drain a small amount) see if this changes the sound at all. If you do this first it could give you an idea whats going on if there is high mileage it may just keep it from bothering you.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            X