1990 Club Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Club Car

I have a 1990 Club Car 36v v-glide with resistors. Is it possible to replace the v-glide with a controller and if so what parts would I need?

This article will start to get you in the right area http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...-48-volts.html
    Regards

Comment

Thanks, I'm not looking to change to 48volts. I would like to switch to an electronic controller instead of the resisitors. Any ideas about this upgrade?

Comment

You just need to install the controller, and do a bunch of rewiring, you will need the wiring diagram for a controller cart. That should be it, Doug may be able to confirm if you may need a possible micro switch in the mess, but I don't think so.
        Regards

Comment

I think there is a way to use the V-Glide but I also believe in order to have your cart work properly you would also need to change out the V-Glide with a PB-6 potbox for the throttle.

Before you go too far, the resistor set up is pretty reliable, why do you want to change it to a controller?
          Parts alone will cost in the $400-$500 range and it won't have any more power or go any faster.
          Updated by dougmcp; September 20, 2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
            I think there is a way to use the V-Glide but I also believe in order to have your cart work properly you would also need to change out the V-Glide with a PB-6 potbox for the throttle.

Before you go too far, the resistor set up is pretty reliable, why do you want to change it to a controller?
            Parts alone will cost in the $400-$500 range and it won't have any more power or go any faster.
            Well you do get a smoother take off, but that is about it.
            Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
              Well you do get a smoother take off, but that is about it.
              True, it takes away the jerk at the start and between steps. The potbox is not necessary but a nice option, if your spending a few hundred $ what's another $75.
              Waiting to hear why wcraver wants to change it.......
              Updated by dougmcp; September 20, 2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I'm not always driving at full throttle, so the resistors get very hot. I believe the controller will need replacing before long and was just checking out my options and see if it was even possible.

Comment

The only real thing the controller does is give you better run time on your batteries.

A controller cart uses a throttle input to control the power that goes to the motor by a rapid full power pulse similar to the way a household light dimmer works.

Hot resistors is a normal function of the cart and will not hurt anything.
                  A resistor cart applies full power all the time and uses the resistors to control speed by bleeding off excess energy in the form of heat.
                  The slower you go, the more resistors are being used.
                  The 1st speed uses all 3 resistors, 2nd speed uses 2 resistors, 3rd speed uses 1 resistor and full speed uses none with all the power going to the motor.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                    The only real thing the controller does is give you better run time on your batteries.

A controller cart uses a throttle input to control the power that goes to the motor by a rapid full power pulse similar to the way a household light dimmer works.

Hot resistors is a normal function of the cart and will not hurt anything.
                    A resistor cart applies full power all the time and uses the resistors to control speed by bleeding off excess energy in the form of heat.
                    The slower you go, the more resistors are being used.
                    The 1st speed uses all 3 resistors, 2nd speed uses 2 resistors, 3rd speed uses 1 resistor and full speed uses none with all the power going to the motor.
                    Alright, so how about reverse??

The reason I ask is because I switched from 6x6v batteries to 3x12volt batteries. I know, I know, I've read other threads about doing this.

I realize that the reverse power wire was connected halfway across the line so reverse was 18 volts. On three 12v batteries, I have a choice of applying 12, 24, or 36vdc to the reverse circuit.

Right now, I have the reverse power cable only on the "first" battery, supplying 12vdc to the reverse. It is slow, thus I have to make sure I'm going down a small slope when backing.

Comment

The safety factor is also a concern here with the coils. If you ride a lot in the tall grass during the hot dry summer months you could start a fire with this type of cart very easly.
                      #1 change over to a controller is a good idea if the money isn't a concern.
                      The v-glide can be used but you need one with the grey connector on it. The one in your cart now works off of the cart voltage. It see's 36 volts where the one you want only see's OHM'S 5k-0 like this one.

This should be yours here.

This is the one you need for a controller conversion.

Once you have this v-glide the rest is easy. Just wire it for a controller cart.
                      sigpic
                      I'm here to help!
                      There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Posted earlier by timflury View Post
                        Alright, so how about reverse??

The reason I ask is because I switched from 6x6v batteries to 3x12volt batteries. I know, I know, I've read other threads about doing this.

I realize that the reverse power wire was connected halfway across the line so reverse was 18 volts. On three 12v batteries, I have a choice of applying 12, 24, or 36vdc to the reverse circuit.

Right now, I have the reverse power cable only on the "first" battery, supplying 12vdc to the reverse. It is slow, thus I have to make sure I'm going down a small slope when backing.
                        I would use 24v for your reverse so you don't have any problems lurching into things backing up.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        X