Club Car owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Car owner

Hi, I just bought a used 2005 electric club car Precedent. Added a rear facing seat and adding a light package. I am adding a voltage converter in stead of a voltage reducer to save the batteries. I need to know where to get the 48 volts from for the converter - the wiring diagram and instructions for the light kit are not good. Where should I go for this information.

to GCF wjbrace.
    I was under the impression that all Precedent carts came with a voltage reducer that converts 48v to 12v for the accessories.
    I'm a little confused as to what your plan is and what your definition of reducer vs a converter.
    The wiring diagram for your cart is here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...g-diagram.html

Comment

Welcome to the forum wjbrace,

Sounds like a nice cart

As for the wiring, I would check with the manufacturer of the light kit for installation directions as every one may be different.

Matti
      Regards

Comment

My understanding is that a reducer is smaller and runs off just (2) of the batteries and a converter wires all (4) batteries and converts 48v to 12v so that the draw on the batteriers is equal for all (4) batteries so that when you hook up the charger all of them get charged equal time - increasing the life of the batteries. The instructions that came with the light kit are poor. It does'nt indicate that the Precedent already has a voltage converter which might explain why I can't find the blue wire that the instructions tell me to hook the fuse to between the battery and the blue wire that provides voltage to the wiring harnesss for the lights,and horn. Where would the voltage reducer/converter be on this cart?

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Matti,

I will send pictures when I get it done. Thanks for the link - I need (5) posts before I can open it.

Bill

Comment

You do not need a reducer, you could wire the lights to 1 of the four batteries. Each battery is 12v. I also upgraded your account so you can view wiring diagrams.
            Regards

Comment

Please help my understanding. I thought the converter covered all four batteries in a 48 volt cart (i.e. 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries). It seems to me to be the most simplistic in terms of battery charging and linking light kits. I'm brand new at this and just want to understand the rationale of only hooking the light kit to one 8 volt or 12 volt battery. This is feasible; however, the current draw is not equal and I would think that one would want to extend all batteries the same.

ZackMan

Comment

Posted earlier by ZackMan View Post
                Please help my understanding. I thought the converter covered all four batteries in a 48 volt cart (i.e. 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries). It seems to me to be the most simplistic in terms of battery charging and linking light kits. I'm brand new at this and just want to understand the rationale of only hooking the light kit to one 8 volt or 12 volt battery. This is feasible; however, the current draw is not equal and I would think that one would want to extend all batteries the same.

ZackMan
                You can purchase 48 to 12v converters, or 36 to 12 volt converters, they are just more money.
                Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
                  You can purchase 48 to 12v converters, or 36 to 12 volt converters, they are just more money.
                  Thanks for the clarification. Is it better to use a converter since it covers all batteries?

Comment

It's always better to use the converter vs the reducer.
                    Depending on what accessories you are planning to use, a reducer is substantially less money.

Comment

I have a light kit on my 2004 Precedent and there is no voltage converter. I have never had a problem. The blue wire comes off the first battery on the passenger side.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what the power drain,..ie Wattage,.is for the light kits on Club Car Precedents. I know they are 12 volts and halogen bulbs but just how much current do they draw. Also, what is the 12 volt draw on the rear tail lights and the turn lights???

Comment

Posted earlier by trigger1937 View Post
                          Can anyone tell me what the power drain,..ie Wattage,.is for the light kits on Club Car Precedents. I know they are 12 volts and halogen bulbs but just how much current do they draw. Also, what is the 12 volt draw on the rear tail lights and the turn lights???
                          Most headlights are 35-55 watts, your front signal lights are about 20 watts, your rear tail lights and signal lights are LEDs and draw minimal wattage.
                          To give you some perspective, your lighting totals about 110 watts while the motor while cruising is about 3600 watts.
                          If you're not using the lights for long periods of time they can be wired to 1 12v battery.

Comment

Doug, i'm wanting to hook up a cigarette lighter on my 07 with 4 12 volt batteries. Can i use any of the batteries to do this? If i understand Matti's post this is right. Thanks Johnny

Comment

Posted earlier by johnnyj View Post
                              Doug, i'm wanting to hook up a cigarette lighter on my 07 with 4 12 volt batteries. Can i use any of the batteries to do this? If i understand Matti's post this is right. Thanks Johnny
                              Yes you can use any battery you choose. If you want a recommendation, charge the batteries and leave it sitting overnight, measure the voltage of each battery and attach your accessory load to the one with the highest voltage reading.

Comment

Thanks Doug, i'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                X