2010 Club Car Precedent Brake Lights Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Club Car Precedent Brake Lights Not Working

I just bought a 2010 Club Car Precedent Champions Edition. It has an aftermarket light kit with lights, turn signals and horn. Everything works except the brake lights. Horn works, front and rear lights work, turn signal works, but no brake lights. Does anyone have any idea where a newbie like me should start problem shooting this? Also, I just checked and the lights work even when the cart key is turned off. Is there a way I can rewire this so the lights only work when the cart is on?
    Updated by Jantree; August 17, 2011, 07:28 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Sorry didn't know you were on his forum also, if you need a relay schematic let me know

Comment

Aftermarket light kits don't always have the brake light function enabled or may not even have a brake light switch. You will need to confirm you have a switch. A quick call to the previous owner should take care of that.
      Normally the converter is on all the time but a simple $3 relay can fix that.
      If you turn your converter on and off with the key switch, any stereo memory would be lost and you won't be able to use the 12v accessory plug unless the key is on.

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
        Sorry didn't know you were on his forum also, if you need a relay schematic let me know
        Whose forum? Would love the schematic.

Comment

You have 5 posts so you can read the resources section. Your schematic is located here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...iq-wiring.html

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
            You have 5 posts so you can read the resources section. Your schematic is located here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...iq-wiring.html
            Dougmcp
            Can you check if I posted the relay schematic its for reducer but could also be used for lights I'm on my phone and everything is sooooo small

Comment

Dougmcp
              Can you check if I posted the relay schematic its for reducer but could also be used for lights I'm on my phone and everything is sooooo small
              Yes, it was your schematic and the reducer is in the mix.

Comment

Posted earlier by Jantree View Post
                Whose forum? Would love the schematic.
                here is a relay schematic that is controlled from keyswitch it can be used for reducer, lights, radio, acc. plugs.

If you have any questions just ask
                Attached Files

Comment

and by the way it uses the charger relay so you will always have a spare, about 5.00.
                  I have a list of parts not sure its here or not if you need it let me know.

Matti is there somewhere where I/you can post a file and be able to update it?? I have started a parts list very small at this time, others may be able to add to it. stuff that can be purchased from places like digikey, mouser, jameco

charger relays 36 and 48
                  diodes
                  Datel two wire meters
                  Updated by gaminde; August 17, 2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Matti is there somewhere where I/you can post a file and be able to update it?? I have started a parts list very small at this time, others may be able to add to it. stuff that can be purchased from places like digikey, mouser, jameco

charger relays 36 and 48
                    diodes
                    Datel two wire meters
                    Like post a thread and be able to edit it? or actually upload files in a thread and then at a later date, upload some more files to the thread?
                    Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
                      Like post a thread and be able to edit it? or actually upload files in a thread and then at a later date, upload some more files to the thread?
                      The first one with no time limit if someone sources a part that's not OEM then it can be added

Comment

The first one with no time limit if someone sources a part that's not OEM then it can be added
                        Done, everyone should be able to edit their own posts forever now.
                        Regards

Comment

Great guess I need to start a new thread

Comment

I'm thinking whoever wired this thing didn't know what they were doing. I noticed tonight that the blinkers only work when the headlights and taillights are not on. When the lights are on, no blinking. Does anyone have any ideas or is it better to pull it out and start from scratch?

Comment

I'm thinking whoever wired this thing didn't know what they were doing. I noticed tonight that the blinkers only work when the headlights and taillights are not on. When the lights are on, no blinking. Does anyone have any ideas or is it better to pull it out and start from scratch?
                              Might be your best bet, call the manufacturer and get a wiring diagram direct from them with installation instructions.
                              Regards

Comment

Check your tail lights and see if it is a 3 wire or 2 wire set up, the 2 wire cannot have tail and signal/brake lights.

Comment

Need to take a deep breath this really doesn't sound that far off, you might need to power things differently. It might just be the 1 wire on the light switch and with a relay your done.
                                  What matti suggested is your best start, post a copy here ill be more than happy to help you.

Comment

If you have nothing to do pull the dash down 3 screws and Ill bet there are three wires coming from the light switch tie two together and your fixed.

now your going to ask which two aren't you !!!!

Comment

If you have nothing to do pull the dash down 3 screws and Ill bet there are three wires coming from the light switch tie two together and your fixed.

now your going to ask which two aren't you !!!!
                                      You know I am. Which two?

Comment

You know I am. Which two?
                                        The two that make it work.

Lets see if my guess is correct first

Comment

So what did you figure out ???? little voices in my head want to know

Comment

I removed the floor mat and floor board and found that the brake light switch was not connected. I connected it and brake lights now work. I have head light, tail lights and brake lights. The turn signals and flasher don't work. Horn does work. This light kit looks like the precedent ultimate light kits you see on the web. Any ideas will be helpful.

Comment

Ok I think your going to have two problems even though you only have one now.
                                              pull the dash down there will be three wires connected to your light sw

C power to light system
                                              nc going to turn signals
                                              no going to lights

so when you turn your lights on the turn signals are turned off, connect the NC wire (NC normanly closed) to the main power or C = common

this gives power to turn signals weather lights are on or not.

now with your parking break set do the brake lights stay on ????

and I think a relay from the key sw might be a good Idea because turn signals can be left on

Comment

Yes the parking brake causes the brake lights to stay on because there is no timer. The turn signals do not work at all now with lights on or off.

Comment

Ok so what changed what work has been done. Brake wires were they connected to each other disconnect them see if blinkers work something changed what was it.
                                                  Updated by gaminde; August 28, 2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Ok so what changed what work has been done. Brake sweet wires were they connected to each other disconnect them see if blinkers work something changed what was it.
                                                    All i did was remove the floor board and notice that the brake light was not hooked up. There was not timer relay so i just hooked the orange wire from the brake switch the the red wire of the harness and the brown wire from the harness to the black wire from the switch.

Comment

Well disconnect them for a quick test

Comment

All I did was connect the brake switch. orange to red and then brown to black. Then the brake lights worked. I haven't disconnected anything else. There is a three prong female receptacle (two connectors with wires to them, one with two wires) with nothing connected to it. I am wondering if that is where the flasher should connect? I don't see a flasher. I am wondering if it fell out or it there was never one connected?

Comment

What was the flashers working 2 weeks ago ???
                                                          Dam jantree you waited too long something else broke
                                                          We'll get it

Comment

This is going to be a tough one, aftermarket light systems are a mess.
                                                            Regards

Comment

Jantree, you will need a flasher in order to make the signal lights flash. I believe the Precedent has LED's so you will need an electronic flasher capable of working with the LED lights.
                                                              Signal lights are pretty universal as they all generally use the same signal light assemblies.
                                                              Have a look at this and see if it resembles what you have: Precedent Turn Signal Instructions
                                                              You may also have a timer on your brake lights but it may be disconnected.
                                                              Look at this for a little clearer picture of what I am talking about: Precedent Brake Light Instructions
                                                              Updated by dougmcp; August 28, 2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Ok lets get this straight the turn signals did work two weeks ago correct. If so there was a blinker.

Comment

Good call gaminde, I just reread the first post and it says:
                                                                  It has an aftermarket light kit with lights, turn signals and horn. Everything works except the brake lights. Horn works, front and rear lights work, turn signal works, but no brake lights.
                                                                  Seems odd that the flasher would fall out but stranger things have happened to a cart.
                                                                  I can't see wiring in the brake switch causing the signals to malfunction unless something is miswired or shorted to ground.
                                                                  If there's a fuse in the system, I'd check it again to see that it's still OK.
                                                                  Updated by dougmcp; August 28, 2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

My signal kit looks more like this: http://www.mymadjax.com/file/Ultimat...Installweb.pdf.

If I have time tomorrow, I will open dash and take a few pictures and show you what I think is the flasher receptacle. Thanks for all the ideas.

Comment

We look forward to the photos.
                                                                      This shouldn't be too difficult and we will help you find the problems.

Comment

Ok this is no big deal it looks as though it comes with all the parts, timer, relay and all. The relay looks to be the same as in the charger

Even has a horn!! just think how obnoxious I could be with a horn BEEP BEEP.

Comment

I think I have the problem solved. I called MadJax and talked with John. From what I described, he said I need a flasher and brake light switch timer. I purchased both and they are on the way. I willl post pics of the install and hopefully, all will be well. He confirmed that I need an LED flasher. Since the turn signals did work earlier, he guessed like I did that the flasher came loose. I will check behind the dash to see if I can find the old one. Otherwise the cart is great. Does anyone know where I can pick up a service manual for a 2010 Precedent.

Comment

Great let us know how it turns out

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I have a service manual for the Precedent from 2004 when they first introduced. Not much has changed on these other than the OBC part numbers and the new 6x8v battery layout in 2009/10.
                                                                              The service manual does not address anything about accessories like lights but covers everything else.
                                                                              Send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you. It's 13MB in size so make sure your email will handle it.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                After installing new flasher and brake light timer relay all is well. Everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks for all the help from the forum.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Love it when a plan comes together.
                                                                                  Thanks for posting the solution so others may learn from your experience.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                                                  Loading
                                                                                  X