05 Precedent Batteries Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 Precedent Batteries Question

I am getting real close to "biting the bullet" and getting started om my cart-building project.............I have narrowed my search down to a Club Car Precedent and most that are for sale in the Dallas area (quite a few, actually) seem to be 2005. I have been advised that, unless they have been retrofitted, these have 12v batteries which are a p r o b l e m. I am going to assume that any cart I find which advertises "strong 08 Trojans" etc, etc is about ready for new batteries. Question (s): How do I find the batteries that Walmart or Sam's Club sells....online? None of my searches yield anything.....maybe I need to go to a store and look/ask but I'd like to review the specs right here at home. It is my understanding that they are Interstate batteries ....perhaps re-badged? Also, would you put in 6 ea 8v or 8 ea 6v (assuming either configuration can be made to fit)? TIA (and for your help in the past, too).

Ed S
    Fairview, TX

The newer carts run 4 12 volt batteries, but it does cut down on run length. You can retrofit 8 volt batteries with custom battery trays. I wouldnt worry so much about the specs of the battery that you are buying,,, and the energizers have close specs to the t105's. I would worry more about the quality of the plates and materials on how the battery is built. And the sams club energizers are built well for the price they sell them at.
    Regards

Comment

If you are stuck on the Precedent, they all had 4x12v battery setups from 2004 to 2009. They changed in 2010 to a 6x8v set up.
      The 6x8v set up gives you about 15% more run time and will extend the battery lifespan by a couple of years.
      The conversion kits for the older Precedent will run you about $400 plus labor batteries.
      Is it worth the cost, that's a personal decision you would have to make.
      If you are not stuck on the Precedent, the DS carts all use the 6x8v set up and have identical running gear.
      There are also more accessories available for the DS cart because the body has remained relatively unchanged since 1982.
      Walmart/Sam's Club/Costco do not sell 12v deep cycle batteries, only 6v and 8v.

Comment

Thanks a TON! As usual, this info is very, very helpful. I guess the Walmart/Sam's/Costco batteries are called Energizers ..... and I needn't go looking for 12v ones either. I had no idea (and am surprised) that the Precedents used the 12v batteries with the not-so-good track record for so many model years. I guess the designer must be the founder's grandson....or somethin' :^) I'm thinking my search isn't as "narrowed down" as I thought it was. I'll look at controller-type CC-DS + EZ-Go some more. Have seen a few good buys in Yamaha Drive, but it seems like it takes an act of congress to get the code for one to go 19MPH..... or so a dealer tells me. Again, many thanks....it's good to be able to contact knowledgeable guys who don't mind sharing. Ed S.

Comment

You're very welcome.
          Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X