Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 clubcar 36v Help

hello everyone,

My wife's golfing buddy has aquired a club car cart and since I was an auto tech for most of my adult life and Fix all kinds of stuff.... I was apointed to mfix this car.
    Well first off it does go but it won't last mor than 8 holes of golf, she did have someone replace some batterys from the local auto parts store.

I started by testing the batterys and they test fine and they are wired in series there is a wiper type of speed controll with some big resistors . The speed controller tapped in at the 20 v nod and the full 36v to the motor.
    OLD school system but I suppose it's adaquate for 18 holes of golf if working properly?

I have looked all over the net for schematics/diagrams I have found a few links but Im blocked from viewing Perhaps Its a status thing, or?

any info, advise or links to acessable schematics/diagrams. would mucho appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forums,, I was concerned when you said you bought some batteries at the auto parts store. First off, are they deep cycle rechargeable 6 volt batteries? And secondly, you should have replaced the entire set of batteries since just changing a couple ends up lessening the life of the new batteries by a lot.
    Regards

Comment

Please check the wiring diagrams section as you should be able to view them now.
      Regards

Comment

THanks YOU very much!
        yes the batterys are 6v lead acid. all replaced a year ago by someone else. I don't know if they are deep cycle or not. I will check the part numbers and inquire with the parts supplier to see. they load tested ok. If they are not deep cycle I do realize that could be a problem but Im thinking there is a bigger problem.
        Im gonna start with cleaning all the conections and perhaps the contacts in the wiper controller.

Comment

Posted earlier by Llamahead View Post
          I started by testing the batterys and they test fine and they are wired in series there is a wiper type of speed controll with some big resistors . The speed controller tapped in at the 20 v nod and the full 36v to the motor.
          OLD school system but I suppose it's adaquate for 18 holes of golf if working properly?
          This by most standards it is truly Old School engineering but has been adequate for the golf cart industry for years. Club Car didn't quit using resistors until the mid 1990's.
          If the cart is only making it for 8 holes it sounds like something is amiss with the batteries.
          What type of batteries do you have in the cart (brand and model number)?
          Charge the cart up, let it rest and get a voltage reading of the pack, it should be in the 38.2v range. Attach the voltmeter to the pack and take it for a ride. If the voltage drops more than 10%-15% under acceleration your batteries are questionable. You can also drive the cart until it starts to really slow down and take individual battery voltages to find the culprit.
          A fully charged 6v battery is about 6.37v, 75% - 6.22v, 50% - 6.05v, 25% - 5.87v.

Comment

Thanks Doug!
            Those numbers and quick n dirty tests should save me a lot of time!
            I'll fluke the puke and see how it looks......said the wanna B Old rapper guy..... LOL

Comment

Ok so I have found the batterys are indeed comercial duty but not deep cycle. I have tested them after a couple hard uphill runs and resting, they are all @ 6.3v .
              Im guessing not being deep cycle is why the short run cycle but could it cause the anemic pertformance too?
              My tractor goes faster @ 8mph top speed. is that proper for this golf cart?

Comment

Those old resistor carts are pretty slow, usually about 10-12mph is about all they are good for.
                Make sure the brakes aren't dragging and that you have the tire pressure at 20lbs.
                make sure the throttle is getting all the way through and eliminating all the resistors, none should be used at top speed.
                The non-deep cycle will cause a short run time and also are likely not to last very long. If you don't run the pack down more than 50% (36.3v) then they should be OK for awhile.
                Updated by dougmcp; May 18, 2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

If she decides to replace all the batteries can she use 8v for a 48v system Concidering the archaic system, I'm thinking some batteries and a charger and she's good to go?

Comment

Converting a 36v resistor cart to 48v is not that simple and the cart that you have doesn't react well to a conversion. The throttle assembly and resistors can't take the added voltage without causing problems.
                    The solution if you really want 48v is to convert the resistors to a controller and the throttle to a pot box. You would also need a 48v solenoid and a charger for the conversion.
                    Unless you are prepared to do the labor and spend in the $1000 range plus batteries, I would just stick with the 36v cart.
                    You can buy 6v batteries at Sam's Club for about $72 apiece.

Comment

I took this cart out for a test drive on as level ground as possible with a GPS and it does avrage about 10 mph top speed,
                      SO .....After discussing the options with the the owner of the cart and the expence of upgrading.
                      she doesn't feel she will be satisfied with the level of performance she has even if it could go 18 holes.

So she is ready to spend a couple thousand dollers to up grade with new batteries.
                      If we are going to upgrade the controller and get rid of the resistors would she get more bang for her buck going to 48v or just stick 36v with upgraded controller and heavier cables ect?

Comment

Staying with a 36v system would allow you to use a standard 275 amp 36v controller. Run time with a controller cart is drastically increased as it has a much better power management system.

With the current cart you should be able to convert to a controller (0-5K ohm input for the PB-6), add a PB-6 pedal box throttle control and you're done.
                        If you want more speed than the 14 mph this would give you, a motor rewind can be had for as little as $250 that would up your speed to around 20+ mph.

The components are more costly to go to a 48v controller system as you would need a new 48v solenoid and a 48v controller and a 48v battery charger.
                        48v would effectively add an additional 30% to your speed and torque that you currently have as long as the motor is in good condition.

Here is a link to a wiring diagram of what you will end up with: http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...6-wire-dia.pdf

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        X