Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 48V Club Car Help!!!

Hi:

I have a 96 48V CC. Charged each battery after winter. Got new cables, and charger receptacle...Hooked up to Charger and charger came on like normal. Went to use, and a little stumbling then NOTHING. Hooked back up to charger and read (0) but low humming...let stay for a while, and went to try and go again, and no stumble just nothing. Any suggestions?

Let me add that I heard the Solenoid click before, and now nothing, and when I place in reverse I have a buzz until I press the accel pedel and then no buzz.

Comment

How long did you leave the cart with out charging it, and was it kept indoors climate controlled or outdoors.
      Regards

Comment

Recheck your battery connections, it's possible that you have not connected them correctly.
        Post up a voltage reading of the battery bank and each individual battery.
        A fully charged 48v cart should have about 51v when fully charged.

Comment

Doug: All connections are tight. 51v at pack and no click when pedel pressed...no go..nothing.

Matti: All batteries have always been removed from car and placed in controlled eviro for winter, new epsom/distilled water mix every time, and individually charged before being placed back in the cart. Batteries are from 05' when I purchased and have always been taking care of. 1st time I've incountered the cart with juice but no go.

Comment

You may have a bad solenoid. Place a 6ga or so jumper across the 2 large posts on the solenoid and see if the cart will go, if so replace the solenoid.

Comment

which solenoid? the one off the Pos side at Batt #1?

Comment

Posted earlier by chtownse@cbgundaker.com View Post
                which solenoid? the one off the Pos side at Batt #1?
                Yes. You can also meter it, the small posts are the actvation coil and should have continuity, the large posts are the power contacts and should be open until the solenoid is activated, then show closed.

Comment

Placed the jumper and nothing still. I noticed that the wire coming off Solenoid is 6 ga, and the one coming out of the OBC is 6ga, and I replaced the battery cables with 4 ga...could this cause a problem?

Comment

Matti: All batteries have always been removed from car and placed in controlled eviro for winter, new epsom/distilled water mix every time, and individually charged before being placed back in the cart. Batteries are from 05' when I purchased and have always been taking care of. 1st time I've incountered the cart with juice but no go.
                    No click, Did you confirm you hooked up the batteries in the correct manner with a wiring diagram, do you get a reverse buzzer? If so, you might want to bypass the OBC and see if that will do the trick.
                    Regards

Comment

Placed the jumper and nothing still. I noticed that the wire coming off Solenoid is 6 ga, and the one coming out of the OBC is 6ga, and I replaced the battery cables with 4 ga...could this cause a problem?
                      Changing the battery cables to 4ga will have no effect. Do you still have the 6ga cable running through the OBC hole? Is it still connected?
                      Updated by dougmcp; February 27, 2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Yes I still have 6ga going through OBC. I don't understand how to bypass it, and if so and it works than does that mean the OBC is bad? Let me add that I can put the charger on cart w/o AC and I get the "click" then I hook up to AC and it comes on for a brief sec, meter goes from 0-15 then back to 0 and no sound.

I tried the reset of the OBC and the reverse buzz lasted for 5 min then finally dies and I kept the pedel pressed for another 5 min hooked back up and still nothing.
                        Updated by chtownse@cbgundaker.com; February 27, 2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

You mentioned you reset the OBC, if you have done it correctly I am guessing that it is bad.
                          Here's the info on how to reset the OBC: http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...ub-Car-OBC.pdf
                          Updated by dougmcp; February 27, 2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

How do I bypass it to confirm or deny the OBC is in fact bad?

Comment

To bypass the OBC take a 14 ga wire from the yellow wire on the solenoid (small post) to the total battery bank negative. This bypasses the OBC and should allow the cart to run, if it runs the OBC is bad.

Comment

Do you know of a diagram so I don't potentially mess anything else up?

Comment

Use the bypass for test only, also don't use your charger with the OBC bypassed or it won't shut off and you risk overcharging the batteries or worse (requiring fire dept).
                                  Here's a drawing that should work for you: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/attach...ng_diagram.jpg
                                  Updated by dougmcp; February 28, 2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Do I need to disconnect the Yellow wire? Also if I bypass and it still doesn't work could it be the solenoid?
                                    Updated by chtownse@cbgundaker.com; February 28, 2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Also do I disconnect the Neg cable from the bat to the OBC to perform the test?

Comment

Do I need to disconnect the Yellow wire? Also if I bypass and it still doesn't work could it be the solenoid?
                                        It should be the yellow wire that comes from the OBC to the solenoid. You do not need to disconnect.
                                        I thought you already metered out the solenoid.
                                        Also do I disconnect the Neg cable from the bat to the OBC to perform the test?
                                        No, not at all.

NOTE: I'm not there to see this so if you are not comfortable with it, don't do it.
                                        Updated by dougmcp; February 28, 2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks Doug:

2 Things:

1) No. I haven't metered out the Solenoid; so how do I?

2) I have a big 2 or 4ga yellow wire coming from the solenid going towards the back (controller) and a little one that seems to go up front and under the cart. I think your stating it doesn't matter I just need to test a jumper from the yellow side to the Bat...right? If I don't disconnect I don't see how I can cancel out that as my possible problem, but I will try.

Comment

1) Solenoid was covered back in post #8
                                            2) It's the little yellow one. To be safe, after looking at the wiring diagram, I would disconnect it or use the fuse connection.

Comment

I disconnected the yellow and jumped to neg bat in bank and I got a solenoid click, but no go?

Comment

Once you get the solenoid click do you have 48v on both large solenoid posts? If not, your solenoid is shot.
                                                If so, you may have a bad controller.

Comment

Well. I tested the Solenoid hooked to the series and then by-passed...Nothing! I tapped and still nothing. I think I will start there and replace. fingers crossed.

Comment

How do I test the F&R Microswitch?

Looking for some insight for a 95 48V Series CC. Thanks!

Comment

Hello. Use a volt meter to see if it works or not.
                                                      Regards

Comment

Disconnect the solenoid and put an ohmmeter or continuity tester across the small terminals, if you have an open, it's shot. The large terminals will show an open until the coil activates then it closes the contacts.

Comment

Sorry that does sound kinda like here's your sign! But I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly and I've searched the Forum for insight, and still want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Comment

Did you check it with a meter?

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                                                              You mentioned you reset the OBC, if you have done it correctly I am guessing that it is bad.
                                                              Here's the info on how to reset the OBC: http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...ub-Car-OBC.pdf
                                                              Is this the same bypass method I would use if my OBC isnt allowing my charger to engage?

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                                                                To bypass the OBC take a 14 ga wire from the yellow wire on the solenoid (small post) to the total battery bank negative. This bypasses the OBC and should allow the cart to run, if it runs the OBC is bad.
                                                                Sorry, disregard the previous, is this the bypass I must perform to get my charger to engage. My charger quit working on my cart but works on others.

Comment

Yes this is a test to check the OBC's control of the charger

Comment

my 97 had the same problem, the solinoid has a 250 ohm resistor across it, this is why it will turn the wheels a bit after it sits for awhile (charges the bypass caps in the motor controller), I did the obc bypass and it runs fine, but I assume it will have charge problems.
                                                                    the obc will cost $200, so I think I will just mount 4 automatic 12v chargers (I have 4 12v batts) in it and call it good.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                                    X