Oil sludge in vacuum line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil sludge in vacuum line

I have a '96 "Tuff 1" EZGO GXT-804D. I had trouble starting it and solved the problem by replacing the vacuum line to the fuel pump. It was clogged with an light brown oily sludge. I also noticed that the same sludge puked out of the fuel pump at some point through what looks like a vent port. I'm wondering which end of the line the sludge came from and how do I prevent it from happening again. Thanks.
    Updated by cesolo; January 19, 2012, 04:44 PM. Reason: mispelled sludge in title

Not sure about the sludge part. But I've seen oil get into the line because to much oil was poured in. If the cart has been lifted, you have to measure 1.5 quarts of oil. Oil sludge is usually cause by oil being in too long. I would change the oil, clean, the oil filter and then measure out the oil to put back in. I would use a thin oil at first to help flush the crud out, then change it again after a few hours of run time. Then I prefer synthetic oil, it helps prevent dry starts, its sticks to the valves better, the engine runs cooler and quieter. I would even go ahead and replace that vacuum line.

Comment

Posted earlier by blake80 View Post
      Not sure about the sludge part. But I've seen oil get into the line because to much oil was poured in. If the cart has been lifted, you have to measure 1.5 quarts of oil. Oil sludge is usually cause by oil being in too long. I would change the oil, clean, the oil filter and then measure out the oil to put back in. I would use a thin oil at first to help flush the crud out, then change it again after a few hours of run time. Then I prefer synthetic oil, it helps prevent dry starts, its sticks to the valves better, the engine runs cooler and quieter. I would even go ahead and replace that vacuum line.
      Thanks, I probably should change the oil, but it doesn't look or smell bad on the dipstick. How does crankcase oil get into a vacuum line? Doesn't the line go to the intake manifold?

Comment

I haven't had one of those engines in my cart in a while now so let me think about it now that you say that. I know there is a crank case vent tube that goes to the intake box that will pull oil into the intake box. Hmmmmm. I'm thinking lol

Comment

I haven't had one of those engines in my cart in a while now so let me think about it now that you say that. I know there is a crank case vent tube that goes to the intake box that will pull oil into the intake box. Hmmmmm. I'm thinking lol
          Then oil could get from the intake box into the intake manifold? Hmmmmm. That might explain the small oily spot on the air filter. Should the dipstick be restamped on a lifted cart to prevent overfilling? I can't tell if this cart was lifted by the manufacturer or aftermarket.

Comment

Posted earlier by cesolo View Post
            Then oil could get from the intake box into the intake manifold? Hmmmmm. That might explain the small oily spot on the air filter. Should the dipstick be restamped on a lifted cart to prevent overfilling? I can't tell if this cart was lifted by the manufacturer or aftermarket.
            Yes, this is a good move to restamp the dipstick. Drain the oil and refil 1.5 quarts of 10W-30. Mark the level on your dipstick, this is your new fill level.

And to answer the thread question, it sounds like a mixture of old oil and too much overfilling.
            Regards

Comment

Light brown oily sludge is usually a mix of oil and water

Comment

Those are air cooled engine, so in theory there shouldn't be any water in there at all. Of course there is that freak chance that rain water or water from washing may have gotten in there. If that be the case, inspect the oil fill cap and valve cover for any cracks.

Comment

Those are air cooled engine, so in theory there shouldn't be any water in there at all. Of course there is that freak chance that rain water or water from washing may have gotten in there. If that be the case, inspect the oil fill cap and valve cover for any cracks.
                  Water wouldn't surprise me if it's condensing out of the air inside the crankcase or the intake manifold. It would usually just get dry if there's nothing preventing that. I think the oil is the bigger problem.

Comment

I think its a lot less chance of freaky, you could go through a puddle, tall wet grass, mud, creek or washing My dog pees on my cart! and the problem is in the vacuum line and vacuum lines suck. any vacuum leaks will suck.

just from experience, I know one thing oil and water make brown sludge, I'm sure there are other combinations also.
                    Updated by gaminde; January 20, 2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                      I think its a lot less chance of freaky, you could go through a puddle, tall wet grass, mud, creek or washing My dog pees on my cart! and the problem is in the vacuum line and vacuum lines suck. any vacuum leaks will suck.

just from experience, I know one thing oil and water make brown sludge, I'm sure there are other combinations also.
                      very true gaminde, so, change oil, replace all lines and filters, inspect cap and cover. heck, while your at it go ahead and do a full tune up

Comment

very true gaminde, so, change oil, replace all lines and filters, inspect cap and cover. heck, while your at it go ahead and do a full tune up
                        PERFECT: then keep an EYE on it and keep the dog away!!

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                          and the problem is in the vacuum line and vacuum lines suck. any vacuum leaks will suck.

Another guy tells me that it isn't really a vacuum line. He says it goes directly into the crankcase and breathes in and out with the movement of the pistons. That means it both sucks and it blows. That would operate the fuel pump, but it would also take any blowby from the pistons (which would contain water) and any vapors from the hot oil in and out of the line. Now the overfilling of oil makes a lot more sense as the cause of this problem. To tell the truth, I just put a new line on the port without checking whether it went into the crankcase or the intake manifold. I guess I'll have to look more closely.

Comment

cesolo it most likely goes to both that is how you vent a crankcase unless its a really old cart and then it would vent to the air. It most likely has an small breather hole or PCV valve or something similar.

Comment

After thinking on this I think its a combination of things, overfilling the oil allows oil where it should not be, as the oil sits where it should not be it collects moisture thus brown color. So clean it up blow it out! rawhide.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X