2001 TXT - Start Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 TXT - Start Problem

I need your help I have a 2001 txt gas. If I hit the gas for the first time of the day the engine will start and rev up and down all you want. If i let off the gas and the engine stops move it into reverse and hit the gas the engine sounds like it will start but won't rev up or down it just seems to idle with no rev. Some people I have talked to said it sounds like it is just the generator running. After about 3-4 minutes with my foot on the gas the engine will finally rev up and then i can move no problem. Then I don't have a problem until the cart sits for 10+ minutes. I know it is getting gas as I have pulled the lines to verify. Any thoughts?

Hello Goody. Try using the "Choke" to get it to run quicker.
    Regards

Comment

Ya I tried that no help. When the choke is on the idle goes down even farther. The weird thing is if I keep the engine reving high at inital start for about 20 seconds. Then release gas and switch into gear and then hit the gas usually it will go fine. I don't know if it is a blocked jet. I took the carb apart and pulled the jets and blew it out. Everything was clean and seemed to be in clean/great condition.

Comment

I have had this same issue. Check your valves. With the cam lobs all the way down set each one to .004. The engine needs to be cold. Disconnect you battery for safety, then turn the primary clutch by hand. The valves mean everything to these engines. If one valve is out, it will do all kinds of strange things. Once you have checked each one, check them again.

Comment

Thanks Blake80, I had a feeling this was the problem but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue which i was sure they would have. i printed out the how to do this steps and was going to do it this weekend to make sure they are gapped right. I need to find a feeler gauge. Question i have heard to set them between .004 & .006, does .004 get you more performance?

Comment

I've tried all different gapping and .004 seemed to work best for me. But try them all till you find the sweet spot

Comment

perfect, thanks for confirming. I was thinking about using the .004 gap but wanted to check.

Comment

let us know what happens

Comment

So I did the gapping .004 on all valvues and changed the oil this weekend amoung some other things. The gapping seemed to help a lot and I regained a lot more power back. Now that I have done it the engine is smoking quit a bit. I read in the manual that the egines usually take 1 & 1/3 quarts of oil. I ended up pouring 2 in just to get it to the Full mark. Do you think when I did the values they aren't set right. I did get a feeler gauge and adjusted them so when I pull out the feeler gauge it barely rubs on the cam and valve arm. Or do you think it is too much oil?
                  Updated by goody9825; January 30, 2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

It was the oil, drained to 1 1/2 quarts and the engines is running great, thanks all for your help.

Comment

good to hear. you can mark the dip stick, but always measure the oil. also, check your valves every so often. that seems to be the weakest link in those engines.

Comment

Posted earlier by goody9825 View Post
                        It was the oil, drained to 1 1/2 quarts and the engines is running great, thanks all for your help.
                        Nice to hear a success story!

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        X