Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap

I am thinking of swapping out my old 1984 flathead KF82 - 341CC gas club car engine for an upgraded new one. What can you guys recommend? Looking for something that is the easiest retro fit.

You are going to want to look for a motor that runs counter clockwise. Most run a Honda GX630 Engine with a Comet 1190 clutch. If honda does not make a ccw engine, I know briggs does. Fabricating a motor mount that fits up to the stock mounts is what most of us do. Allow for play room to adjust the drive belt. More info on cc motors http://www.golfcartsforum.com/genera...ve.html#post20
    Regards,

Comment

It really depends on how much you are thinking of spending. There's the Big Block kits from CPP, and then there are also the "clone" engines you can purchase through HarborFreight or similar companies. Neither one is too difficult, though i can't speak from experience about the clones, I went with the B.B. kit in mine due to the availability of high performance parts for those engines.

Jason

Comment

Update to this thread !! I just purchased the HF 13hp CC rotation Predator engine. First glance is great. Now the fun begins,
        1. Needs new non tappered clutch.
        2. Fab new throttle cable assy.
        3. Fab new motor mount.
        4. Fab new exhaust due to forward location
        5. Fab new choke method
        6. Gut exsisting wiring for new harness to extend key switch to dash board.
        no need for solenoid or regulator.
        7.Put all oem parts on ebay to pay for new build !!

Comment

• Donna cart
          Donna cart commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to keep reposting new at this but it looks like you move the throttle cable for words in the box to clear the motor and I was looking for a new throttle cable could you tell me where to find one thank you in advance

Keep us posted, I am thinking about this conversion.

Comment

Will do.

Comment

Way to go, pics would be AWESOME. Subscribed BTW
            Regards,

Comment

Clone Transplant done, Predator 420cc electric start. stator puts out about 7 volts, hope its enough. Yes I know...pictures pictures pictures, they will follow soon I promise along with all the fab work I had to do. BTW, there is no suitable vacuum source for my stock fuel pump, Had to switch to electric fuel pump.

Comment

Ok here we go. Pictures in order from left to right top to bottom.
                1. Rubber cusion under bolted down snubber. Works great.
                2. New Comet Clutch
                3. Exhaust configuration with heat sheild, Used exsisting muffler, welded a down pipe to exit point. The flywheel/fan and shroud tins direct air through the exhaust hood which is awesome, runs really cool, but I added the heat sheild anyway....gas.....exhaust....
                4. Front motor mounts, Original plate mounts intact, moved motor back 2.25 inches.
                5. Rear plate mount raised 2.25 inches to clear transaxle and to level the motor. I used .75 inch pipe spacers cut to match the angle. Picture is kinda blurry. Sorry.
                6. Modified throttle connections. Cut regulator box down for clearance. Kept old throttle pivot point, Cut new notch for cable to mount. ( build new one later to get rid of regulator box, looks like a hack job
                7. Overall pic.
                8. So ready to put the body on. I have some more accessory wiring to do yet.
                9. No pic but had to add an electric fuel pump. no usable vaccum on the predator engine.
                I think I am going to leave the original Predator fuel tank in place and use it as an auxillary reserve tank. Its not in the way of anything.
                If yall have any suggestions let me know.
                Next up is reassembly of the body. I cant wait to test drive it !!
                Attached Files
                Updated by krustybucket; March 22, 2012, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• Donna cart
                  Donna cart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So on your throttle cable you just moved it forward towards the sea and put a new notch is that correct that's what I was going to do because it was hitting the motor where can I pick up a new cable you have a website

Posted earlier by dirtman View Post
                I am thinking of swapping out my old 1984 flathead KF82 - 341CC gas club car engine for an upgraded new one. What can you guys recommend? Looking for something that is the easiest retro fit.
                The Honda and Briggs twins are probably worth more than your cart. They are big$$$$. I would do a chinese clone or ungovern your flathead if its still running good. Just watch your revs if you do. My first cart had the FZ 340 and it ran good ungoverned. I know there are chinese V-twin clones made but have not seen one available through anyone besides importers. I have seen them in gas and diesel but like I said ,not sure how many hoops you have to jump through to get one.

Comment

Way to go, Great pictures!!!! I like the color
                  Regards,

Comment

Finished pics on the way ! Runs great !

Comment

Here it is all finished...whew... Pulls great with the HF 420cc engine.
                      Attached Files
                      Updated by krustybucket; March 27, 2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Posted earlier by krustybucket View Post
                        Here it is all finished...whew... Pulls great with the HP 420cc engine.
                        your cart looks great.since you have gone that far are you going to change your seat colors. I think they would look good in black or black with yellow. Good job on everything.

Comment

Posted earlier by ak47fan View Post
                          your cart looks great.since you have gone that far are you going to change your seat colors. I think they would look good in black or black with yellow. Good job on everything.
                          Thank you very much.
                          Last remaining wish items....
                          Custom seat covers
                          new roof/roll bar assembly with safari rack.
                          Wider tires and wheels.

Comment

• Donna cart
                            Donna cart commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It looks like you move the throttle cable for words in the box to clear the motor that's what I was going to do and can you tell me where to find a throttle cable May be a website thank you

Hi krustybucket can you tell me what model clutch you used and what belt width you used I have a DS clubcar I would like to convert Thanks

Comment

Conversion parts

Here is the clutch I used. The existing belt worked just fine.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/atv/atvclut...e/302405a.html
                            Updated by krustybucket; November 29, 2012, 08:33 AM. Reason: added url

Comment

Thanks ! Nice cart ! This is a nice golf cart site

Comment

Posted earlier by speedbuggy View Post
                                Thanks ! Nice cart ! This is a nice golf cart site
                                This is a great forum with lots of great people. Welcome Speedbuggy, post some pictures of your cart or project. We love us some pictures !!

Comment

Okay I'm going to try to post some pics. Okay I'm not sure how to insert them sorry

Comment

i have a honda gx630 with 77.8 hrs on it with a 1in keyed shaft for sale with muffler 600 obo 646 410 6704

Comment

Posted earlier by krustybucket View Post
                                      Thank you very much.
                                      Last remaining wish items....
                                      Custom seat covers
                                      new roof/roll bar assembly with safari rack.
                                      Wider tires and wheels.
                                      what kind of speed or you getting out of your cart? I just put the same motor in my Jacobson but does not seem to have the top end it should. Thanks and your cart looks great.

Comment

Top end is about 25 to 30 mph

Comment

I have also converted over to the 13hp Predator engine in my G2 yamaha . I had to make several modifications to it. I am still dealing with fuel issues. As stated there isn`t sufficient vacuum from the valve cover vent to pump enough gas to sustain higher rpm`s. I tried a electric low volume fuel pump but over powers the float in the carb and causes it to flood badly. What type of fuel pump did you use? I would really like to stay with the original fuel tank.

Comment

So it looks like to me you moved the throttle cable for words in the box so it does not hit the motor because that's what I was going to do you have a place to get a new cable maybe a website

Comment

This is a chopped up 1985 Club Car, seized the 341cc motor today, any ideas before I go HF?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

did you modify the stock motor plate?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                X