make-a-wish build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make-a-wish build

well it appears that I'm about to do it again. yep my 76 club car caroche street rod will become the next victim to be used to raise a ton of cash for the Make-A-Wish foundation. now it's time to re-engineer the entire drive system and bring it into this century the schematic is the stock drive electrics. the picture of the electronic is older but still just about the same i really do not know alot about increasing performance in electric vehicles. so basically the whole system will be gone/changing. the B&M shifter will replace the F/R switch that entire bank of solenoids will have to go. the motor will get tweaked. andy told me some thing about a controller with a half speed switch that sounded interesting. i want to have both 36 and 72 volt capability in the cart. if it looks fast then it's needs to be fast then it also needs front disc brake to go with the stock hydraulic rear drum brakes so if any has any advice on parts/ manufacturers or the components please let me know
    Attached Files
    Updated by dwon5; January 24, 2012, 06:08 AM.
    IF WE CAN'T HELP OTHERS THEN WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE
    sigpic

to see what has been done to this cart check this thread "1976 club car caroche street rod"
    sigpic

Comment

I will talk to Robby over at PQ website and see if he will do the motor for you. He is always in on a good cause. Let me know what else I can do for the cause.

Just a idea here. I have been wanting to try.

Use the 5 solenoids for the F/R contactors. 2 for forward 2 for reverse. Then the 5th for main power one.
      I've been wanting to try this on a old C/C I have and just haven't gotten there yet.
      Updated by andy4639; January 24, 2012, 08:37 AM.
      sigpic
      I'm here to help!
      There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

could you draw something up on that. i want this cart to be not only something some one will want to have but will be proud to have the motor spec as of know are 2hp @2800rpm
        Updated by dwon5; January 24, 2012, 08:43 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

How about making it a AC cart? With the v-tech AC mod it works like a PDS EZGO the F/R is handled through the controller. Nothing to clutter up under the seat. No brushes in the motor. I like mine in the 04 PDS cart I have. It's about $2000.00 but I would think they would do better than that for the cause.
          I have there info if you would like it.

Man you have my head spinning about all the trick stuff you could do to this thing!
          sigpic
          I'm here to help!

Comment

That thing is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

some of you have seen this already but this is the shifter that's going in the cart.B&M with lock bar believe it will just be a matter of two micro switches, one for forward and one for reverse if i use a altrax 7245 controller
              Attached Files
              Updated by dwon5; January 24, 2012, 05:00 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

what size battery cables are going to run. i can get the welding cable at pretty good prices. just let me know what size and how much of it you want and ill get it on the way.

Comment

Blake thanks for the help I'll let you know when I've figure out the component placement. I do want to try to keep this mechanic friendly. In other words some time in the future when something wears out i want an ordinary golf cart mechanic to understand what he's looking at.
                  sigpic

Comment

Kool. Just let me know and ill pick up the cable

Comment

I'll send battery lugs depending on size cable used. Or anything else I can aid in

Comment

in the Harley cart i did last year it was kept at 36 volts the picture shows the bat cables and the hd solenoids the cables will be the same size but i wont use clark fork lift parts in this one. they confused a few golf cart mechs that checked the cart uot at some of the different shows it was at. i used a curtis 400 amp contreller on that one
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Stickers make everything faster. I'll send you a couple GCF stickers
                          Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by dwon5 View Post
                            in the Harley cart i did last year it was kept at 36 volts the picture shows the bat cables and the hd solenoids the cables will be the same size but i wont use clark fork lift parts in this one. they confused a few golf cart mechs that checked the cart uot at some of the different shows it was at. i used a curtis 400 amp contreller on that one
                            Sounds like you are going to have a lot of helpers on this one!
                            Good to hear. I'm going up to PQ next week I will talk to Robby then.
                            How long do we have to build this cart? Just wondering.
                            sigpic
                            I'm here to help!

Comment

i just want to thank everybody for the support in this endeavor. i want to start showing it at events and locations every weekend by the end of April and run it until mid August like i did the Harley.
                              Updated by dwon5; January 24, 2012, 11:16 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

this will be the last time you see this motor looking like this! THE FOLKS AT PLUM QUICK HAVE OFFERED TO UP-GRADE THE MOTOR AT NO I REPEAT NO COST!! LET GIVE THEM A ROUND OF APLAUSE!
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic

Comment

A generous and unselfish step for PlumQuick to the Make-a-Wish cart!
                                  And a round of applause to those on this site who have also volunteered their products and services.
                                  Updated by dougmcp; January 25, 2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                                    A generous and unselfish step for PlumQuick to the Make-a-Wish cart!
                                    And a round of applause to those on this site who have also volunteered their products and services.
                                    that is what makes this site great. thank you to everyone
                                    sigpic

Comment

Great support so far guys!
                                      Regards

Comment

dwon5,
                                        When we were talking the other nite I knew Robby would do it but wanted to talk with him first. I'm glad you got with him though. He is a great guy and his whole family is that way!
                                        It's a honor for me to know them.

What ever you need just ask I will do my best to get it are help with it.
                                        sigpic
                                        I'm here to help!

Comment

I want every one here to know that when I first posted what I am doing with this cart i just thought you would be interested in seeing the build. I never in my wildest dreams expected the reaction , the enthusiasm and all the offers of help from so many people. the list just keeps getting longer i just hope that the cart will live up to every one's expectations and I will do the best that I can to insure that it does. so many a heartfelt THANK YOUS to every one
                                          sigpic

Comment

I heard back last night from my buddy that I'm going to get the cable from. We are ready when you are. What ever size cable you want, just tell me how much and its yours.

Comment

after discussing with various forum members and the people at plum quickthe various drive option 36 - 48 or 36/72 volt set ups. I've come to the conclusion that for safety this cart needs to be limited to 48 volts if the person who at the end of it all want to go faster then that person can have that done by hopefully a cart shop in their area
                                              sigpic

Comment

That's probably the best thing.

Comment

72v FTW. Let me know how many lugs you need and what size. (Brandon...)

Comment

well I order the Jake's front disc brake kit for it today. The cart already has a master cylinder so I guess the one that comes with the kit will be going into the "parts for sale catagory". After talking to Jake's I found out it would have cost more to have the kit sepperated and just get the parts i needed, can't wait to get them and put them on (of coarse with pictures ). Blake , Colt , as soon as I've figured out were the best placement for the components will be I'll let you know thanks
                                                    Updated by dwon5; January 26, 2012, 08:21 AM.
                                                    sigpic

Comment

OK, it's time for part ordering first speedometer ( old style look analog ) then Jake's front disc brake kit then a brand new set of Hoosier's all the way around (front tires Catalog #42050D20, 57/6-10, Tread pattern X, rear tires Catalog #42183D25, 63/10-10, Tread pattern P) then on to 11x10 rear rims to take the rear tires, the 2 digital volt meters, charge receptacle and 48 volt charger. 12 volt charger for light and tunes, already have the under body light kit. I'm thinking 150 watts Sony X-Plode should be sufficient for a stereo marine grade speakers rear view mirrors the batttteries 6-8 volt and 1-12 all deep cycle, turn signal kit and lastly steering wheel. man I'm gonna be busy when all that gets here
                                                      Attached Files
                                                      Updated by dwon5; January 26, 2012, 10:18 AM.
                                                      sigpic

Comment

This is exciting!!!!!!! I'm stoked to participate. Is there anything else I can do right now? My head is filled with ideas so if you need help with an idea, let a brother know.

Comment

share your some of your ideas
                                                          sigpic

Comment

I'm saying you throw out a proposition I'll put it into work.

Comment

ok that is all ordered and I also picked up 40' of wire loom
                                                              sigpic

Comment

well everything is back off the cart all the parts i don't need have been removed now just wait for all the new to get hare. the motor is boxed and redy to ship down to PQ on monday.Mike64 came over and helped keep track of every thing so if i lost anything he'll know where to find it.the parts i do not need any more will be list in parts for sale
                                                                Attached Files
                                                                Updated by dwon5; January 28, 2012, 04:03 PM.
                                                                sigpic

Comment

Good start. I'm going to be keeping tabs on your progress Dave!
                                                                  sigpic
                                                                  I'm here to help!

Comment

Posted earlier by andy4639 View Post
                                                                    Good start. I'm going to be keeping tabs on your progress Dave!
                                                                    andy when it's done I'm going to try to get down your way. ther has to be some kind of big event down there
                                                                    Updated by dwon5; January 28, 2012, 05:20 PM.
                                                                    sigpic

Comment

There is the Run to the Sun biggest car show on the east coast. Myrtle beach SC.

http://www.peedeestreetrodders.com/

http://www.peedeestreetrodders.com/registration12.pdf
                                                                      Updated by andy4639; January 28, 2012, 07:17 PM.
                                                                      sigpic
                                                                      I'm here to help!

Comment

I'LL TRY TO HAVE EVERY IN AND WORKING PROPERLY by then
                                                                        sigpic

Comment

Dave,
                                                                          I answered your PM with the Same info but this is for others to watch for.

http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

This is one of the biggest car show swap meet's in the country.
                                                                          sigpic
                                                                          I'm here to help!

Comment

well the motor is boxed and readt to ship of to PLUMQUICK
                                                                            Attached Files
                                                                            sigpic

Comment

• #39
                                                                              i want every one to know that the University of Toledo, College of Engineering is going to design and make a 8/1 speed gear set for this cart. Dr. Matt Franchetti is going to oversee the project
                                                                              sigpic

Comment

• #40
                                                                                i want every one to know that the University of Toledo, College of Engineering is going to design and make a 8/1 speed gear set for this cart. Dr. Matt Franchetti is going to oversee the project
                                                                                That's great! Be sure to let Robby know so the motor will accommodate the 50% taller gear ratio.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                                                                                  That's great! Be sure to let Robby know so the motor will accommodate the 50% taller gear ratio.
                                                                                  did not think of that thanks Doug
                                                                                  sigpic

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    After thinking about the 8:1 rear gear, I had some other thoughts. If you can get Robby to wind the motor for 36v at 4350rpm, applying 48v to it would give you 5800rpm. That speed with the 18.5" Hoosiers and the stock 12.44 gear ratio will give you a speed of about 26mph.
                                                                                    I'm not sure that going to an 8:1 rear end will give you enough torque plus if you have the battery power at the same figures as above the speed if you can achieve it would be 40mph and that may be a little too fast for the cart in the hands of the general public.
                                                                                    Just thinking ahead, considering LSV speeds for street legal carts are limited to 25mph, anything over that may place liabilities on Make-A-Wish that they may not be comfortable with.
                                                                                    I like speed as much as anyone, my cart runs just about 30mph and it is something that requires paying really close attention.
                                                                                    Updated by dougmcp; January 30, 2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      after discussing this with Robby. He advised that I should not go to that ratio but leave it stock now U Of T wants to have some part in the build I just have to figure out what. If the motor is wound for 3600 rpms at 36volt. If ran at 48 volts and the tire size is actually 20.5 dia. what would that speed be?
                                                                                      Updated by dwon5; January 30, 2012, 02:22 PM.
                                                                                      sigpic

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        With those specs, somewhere between 23-24mph, can he wind the motor for a faster rpm than 3600?
                                                                                        Each 200rpm increase from 3600 on the 36v motor will increase the speed 1.3mph at 48v.
                                                                                        Updated by dougmcp; January 30, 2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          ok here is the math
                                                                                          4/3=X/3600
                                                                                          3X=14400
                                                                                          x=14400/3 thus rpm max power is 4800
                                                                                          4800rpm 10.5:1 gear ratio 20.5 diameter tires equates to approx.29.3 max mph that should be fast enough for the person that wins the cart maybe not for you Andy (the man with the need for speed) that way the University of Toledo can still do something
                                                                                          Updated by dwon5; January 30, 2012, 08:57 PM.
                                                                                          sigpic

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Yeah Baby!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              I have been given the oficial OKEY DOKEY to take the cart out of the northwest ohio region so I'm going to try to go down to oddpowers event and also try to get as far down as your way Andy. that is if i can find a driver to go that far
                                                                                              sigpic

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Good news
                                                                                                If I was any closer I'd drive you.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I have been given the oficial OKEY DOKEY to take the cart out of the northwest ohio region so I'm going to try to go down to oddpowers event and also try to get as far down as your way Andy. that is if i can find a driver to go that far
                                                                                                  I you make it down to myrtle beach, let me know and ill ride up

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    well the 36 year old gear set is out and ready to go to colege. they're in real good shape for their age
                                                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                                                    sigpic

Comment

• #51
                                                                                                      Those look like new.

Comment

• #52
                                                                                                        well most of the parts are here- tire-gages-pot box & controller (controller was donated by Plumquick),steering wheel & adaptor,pod for the speedo and the underbody light kit. the motor is on it's way back up from PlumQuick, the gear have gone off to college to be schooled in the art of increased speed, the 48 volt 400amp reversing controller and the 48 volt 400amp solenoid are on the way along with the front disc brake kit, the rear view side mirrors and the lcd rearview mirror kit I've ordered new rims and the music system which should be here soon. I guess I better get busy and start puting it all together
                                                                                                        Attached Files
                                                                                                        sigpic

Comment

• #53
                                                                                                          ooooh yes! Looking GOOD!!!
                                                                                                          Regards

Comment

• #54
                                                                                                            Very cool to see the parts coming in!
                                                                                                            Looking forward to watching this build.

Comment

• #55
                                                                                                              motor is back from PlumQuick and the mirrors and rear view monitor have arrived
                                                                                                              Attached Files
                                                                                                              sigpic

Comment

• #56
                                                                                                                Man this thing is going to kick! I hope to see you in April my friend! Can't wait.
                                                                                                                sigpic
                                                                                                                I'm here to help!

Comment

• #57
                                                                                                                  Charlette motor speedway on the 19th and my wife loves the color purple now she wants a purple motor in her cart! she has no clue but i will put one in, no problemo!
                                                                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                                                                  Updated by dwon5; February 13, 2012, 07:25 PM.
                                                                                                                  sigpic

Comment

• #58
                                                                                                                    okay today I'm installing the turnsignal kit, the wiring for the lights , the state of charge meter, the hour meter,the horn, the pot box and the controller.
                                                                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                                                                    Updated by dwon5; February 18, 2012, 05:05 PM.
                                                                                                                    sigpic

Comment

• #59
                                                                                                                      next will be wiring the speedo and then the rear view monitor and camera
                                                                                                                      sigpic

Comment

• #60
                                                                                                                        Very nice.
                                                                                                                        Are you using a F/R switch or the pedals to change direction?

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                                                                                        Loading
                                                                                                                        X