• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John deere Gator problem

My gator 4x2 starts and runs well for from 5 minutes to 30 minutes,
    it then will die, sometimes starting and running for a few more minutes
    or sometimes refusing to start.
    At first I thought I'd gotten some water in the gas, but dry gas had no
    effect. Once it refuses to restart, it will not run for a while but when I go back it restarts and (usually) will then run long enough to get it back to the
    shop. I then suspected the fuel pump so I replaced it, the Gator ran well the next morning and hauled the feed to the cattle for over an hour without dieing. I then set out to check some fence, without any stoppage till I got to the back side of the farm where upon it decided I needed to walk back to the shop. I took my old 4X4 Toyota pickup & finished checking the fence.
    I had my brother take me back later and I drove it home without event.
    I decided to check the ignition and put a spark tester in line with the plug.
    I drove several laps around the farm with the bed elevated so I could observe the flashing as I drove. No problems occoured, Yesterday my brother was doing the feeding and I went along ( with the Spark tester in
    my pocket), sure enough the gator died out. WE unloaded the feed and raised the bed, put the spark tester in line. The engine restarted and ran
    but in about 45 seconds saw the spark skip a couple of times and then the engine died, ( IT still had no spark) , retrying the engine at first didn't fire but on the 3rd try fire reappeared and we were able to finish the feedeing.
    I have now established that the ignition fails when the gator dies ,
    I do not understand what the cause is, the motor does this sometimes when cold, & sometimes when hot. Intermittant problems are troublesome, I have replaced the spark plug and while running the motor has strong fire.
    The gator has a Kawasaki FE290D engine, I think it's too new to use points
    so I'm not sure what switchs the low voltage side of the coil. I know that if the circuit opens on the low side it'll kill the spark ( as will a short to ground) .
    Does any one have a sugestion?
    Thanks,
    Ralph

My guess would be it has an electronic module for ignition both heat and cold cause these to fail when bad it sounds like heat makes it fail the most.

Comment

i believe i would check the igniter. if that seems to be workin i would replace the ignition switch. i've seen just one leg go out on them.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I was leaning toward the Igniter as the culprit.
        I went into the engine this weekend & found that this Gator has a one piece coil-igniter.
        Useing the part # on it I bought a generic Kawisaki coil assembly (the same part #)
        which retailed for $30 less than John Deere's. The Gator is now running & all indications are that we got it.
        Ralph

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X