Degraded Performance 1996 36V EZ GO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degraded Performance 1996 36V EZ GO

I have a full set of new (less than a year old) batteries in this cart. When first installed cart would run fairly well for about 1 mile before beginning to slow. I thought it should run a lot longer, but don't know what is acceptable performance. Over the past year, cart has become progressively weaker. I have charged the cart overnight with my charger which make a buzing sound but amp meter doesn't work. I have also charged the batteries individually with 6 volts 40 amps from my shop charger. Now the cart will only go about 150 yards before it poops completely out regardless of the charging method. I put brand new oversized cables between all of the batteries and all terminals are all new and clean. I didn't a hydrometer check of the batteries and the third battery in the series my have a bad cell. Large difference in specific gravity between one cell and the other five. The other five batteries seem to be within the limits published on the hydrometer packaging.

Could a single bad cell in the middle of the battery pack cause the lack of performace I discribed above. Or should I check other things. I had hoped the new batteries would solve my problems for a long time.

Most greatfull for many advice. I would like to fix this thing myself without hauling it to a repair shop.

Thank you.

Yes any one bad cell will cause a failure as you describe you can't charge or run correctly.

Think of your batteries cells as a piece of chain each piece of chain will hold many pounds of pulling force now take any one piece of chain and insert a piece of fishing line the chain will hold, the fishing line will break first leaving you with a broken link.

Ok thinking about the above maybe not the best I have seen some chain that won't hold itself and some fishing line that you could tow a car with.
    Updated by gaminde; January 27, 2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X