Help Me Up The Learning Curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Up The Learning Curve

My wife and I recently purchased our dream retirement home. There is approximately an acre of undeveloped woodlot on a hillside, through which I've cut some five foot wide pathways which I have planted with clover (to stabilize them) and intend to gravel over time.

I've decided on a golf cart to get up and down the hill, carrying straw, gravel, compost, plants, trees, logs, and my aging bones. The EZGO carts seem to be the most popular and best supported. We are now looking for a used cart.

We visited two shops today to look over the carts, ask questions, and get a sense of cost. They are asking between $3500 and $4000 for late 2000s with dump beds and recent or new batteries. I'm wondering if this is close to the mark.

I've spent the evening reading through the forums and have a few questions:

Is there a list of the various year/models of EZGO carts and their specs?

What year/model did EZGO switch to limited slip differentials? (I'm worried about our wet winters and my dirt paths)

How reliable are US Energy batteries as compared to Trojans?

What year did EZGO begin adding VINs?

DC motors vs AC motors - pros and cons?

What are your thoughts on the sheet steel dump beds vs the polycarb beds? (My sense is the steel beds will be ruined by gravel and quickly rust)

What questions should I be asking?

Long post, sorry. I'm on the steep side of the learning curve and fairly bursting with questions.

Thanks.

I know this is late. Hopefully not too late. Based upon your stated expected use, I would look for a series motor cart. They are easy enough to distinguish as they will have the "shift lever" located below the seat as opposed to a toggle on the dash. The series carts are high torque carts by motor design. Were it me, I would look for a 2000-2005 series cart, ($1200 to $1800), and replace everything electrical between the end of the shift rod and the motor. That is, replace the forward/reverse switch, solenoid, controller and wires with heavy duty items. Usually they can be bought as a package. The cables can be bought at any battery shop. The stock ones are 6 guage. I recommend 2 guage. 4 guage is enough but since you are replacing them, why not get the extra support the bigger cables provide.
    Of course this assume the batteries are good/new. If not, replace them too.
    Updated by pbsdaddy; January 5, 2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Not too late, still looking for suitable cart. In the meantime I've been climbing the curve. Your suggestion of a series motor has been echoed elsewhere. I've narrowed my focus accordingly.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X