95 EZ Go getting power but wheels wont turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 EZ Go getting power but wheels wont turn

My 94 EZ Go is having a problem going. I charged the batteries and checked their voltage and all check out.When I turn the key on and put it in forward or reverse it just kinda shakes and rattles like its trying to go. Power is reaching the motor because I can hear and see it trying to go. I have read some earlier threads but I need a little further direction on how to get into the rear end to see if I have a problem there. Thank you.,

oh and I did raise the back end and took off the driver side wheel and got the wheels to turn both directions but that is as far as I got. Need help on what to do next. like how do you remove the dust cover? just pry them off or do you need special tools..?

Comment

Put your meter on the pack and drive it note voltage here

Comment

Sorry gaminde Im very novice. How do I apply the meter? I really am pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Comment

Posted earlier by DanG63 View Post
          My 94 EZ Go is having a problem going. I charged the batteries and checked their voltage and all check out.When I turn the key on and put it in forward or reverse it just kinda shakes and rattles like its trying to go. Power is reaching the motor because I can hear and see it trying to go. I have read some earlier threads but I need a little further direction on how to get into the rear end to see if I have a problem there. Thank you.,
          In this post you said you checked batteries how did you do this???
          Updated by gaminde; July 1, 2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Ok I applied the meter to the battery pack and believe I did it right. I got a reading of 34.5 so I figured that since I read in an earlier post that that meant bad batteries. I checked each of the six batteries individually and all but one were putting out 6.5 volts at least. One of them was only at around 2 volts so I have put a charger on that one for the night and will try again to run it. If that doesnt work I guess I wll need a new battery.

Comment

The batteries are fully charged and reaching the motor but the cart just shakes like its trying to go but the wheels don't seem to be engaging. Could someone give me directions on what to do to get to the axle and hub spline? I am pretty sure that is the problem but have no idea what i am even looking for to be broke, or how to even get to it. I don't even know how to remove the dust CAP!! Please help.

Comment

My guess would be: as soon as you put a load on your battery pack, they puke on you. There are ways of testing, but since you have already identified at least one bad battery, why waste the time/money? Each battery, when fully charged should read 6.36, (6.4) volts. Replacing the identified battery is the cheap way and may well serve you the rest of this summer. Just plan on replacing all of them, one way or another, in the near future. If you can handle the expense, replacing all of them with a set of batteries is the proper way to go.

Comment

Thanks pbsdaddy. I just pulled the back wheel off again and the rear end is intact. I believe you are right on the money. Let me ask this... When I turn on the lights they don't dim one bit when I push the throttle. But even on jacks its a dog to get up to speed. Any thoughts or is it likely the battery?

Comment

The lights are twelve volt, (probably) and running off of two of the batteries. Most likely a couple of the good ones.
                    Even jacked up, the motor puts a load on the batteries. Obviously not as much as when they are on the ground, but a load none the less.

Comment

you might want to check the brake drums to see if the splines r stripped out if they r you have to replace the brake drums.thats what makes the car move

Comment

With the back wheels off the ground hold the drivers side wheel and let some one push the pedal slightly and see if you can hold the wheel. If so the hubs are gone.
                        Also with cart up have some one push the gas pedal and see it the nut is spinning without the wheel. If so hub is gone.
                        sigpic
                        I'm here to help!
                        There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I think I have a late 90's model ST, from looking at the EZGO ID chart on this site & it's doing the same thing. I checked batteries (Interstates 125amps, one year old with digital volt meter) individually after charging & got from 6.8 to 6.85 volts. I'll try jacking mine up and do these tests. Any other ideas you folks have, I would appreciate.

I'm a newb on here & figured it would be worth joining to learn from people with experience in EZGO's.

i_shoot
                          Updated by i_shoot; August 15, 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

A full charge on 36 volt batteries after they have sat for at least 6 hrs of no riding and nothing on.
                            38.22 full 100% charge.
                            37.86 is 90% charge

sigpic
                            I'm here to help!

Comment

Thanks Andy, I'll check total voltage tomorrow when I get to work. Should I get a hydrometer to check each battery now & in the future for battery maintainence?

i_shoot

Comment

They are nice to have but I perfer a digital multi meter.
                                sigpic
                                I'm here to help!

Comment

Andy4639, I checked the batteries this morning & total voltage was 37.7 volts. Tried cart & it would not move at all. Rechecked batteries & they still are at 37.7 volts.
                                  What should I check now?

i_shoot

Comment

Did u check the pack when you hit the gas pedal see what they drop to. They should drop off but quickly come back up. 37 volts is between 80-90% charge. I would say your batteries are shot. When you press the pedal down what is the voltage drop to?
                                    sigpic
                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

checked the batteries after trying to move cart & they read the same, no voltage drop.
                                      i just talked to a guy here at work who borrowed it the other day & he said that he was letting it roll backwards down a hill while in forward & it starting rolling too fast & hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.
                                      now, i'm thinking that may be the problem, either motor or rear end. what do you think?

thanks,
                                      i_shoot

Comment

After I spent all that time tearing rearend apart and trying to see that the spline had sheared off. It ended up being a single battery. I bought one to replace the one that was only at about 4 volts. You would think that just one wouldnt cause that jumping and shaking but it does. The minute I found the battery that was below 6 volts and replaced it I was fine.. it took off like a rocket. Older batteries are holding at about 6.25 to 6.30 but its going to be time to replace the other 5 soon.

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                        X