Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages and Disadvantages of Heavy Duty Rear Springs

Posted earlier by Retired Jim View Post
    My first regret so far is maybe not adding heavy duty springs with the rear seat. I guess I was a little scare of making the ride too harsh. Now I can feel some light front steering looseness with any weigh on the rear. Maybe I will need a further modification when extra dollars show up.
    My opinion, I have a cart with HD springs and I'm going to switch back, but I usually ride alone or with 1 passenger and it just gives a terrible ride.
    Regards

Thanks Matti for the opinion that gives me food for thought. I know that my existing springs give me a comfortable (smooth enough ride). I guess before leaping to those heavy duty springs I must decide if the small amount of light steering with one person on the rear seat worth the loss of comfort. I do not have a lift and must pay someone to perform the work if I choose to modify the springs. Is this a very expensive change with parts and labor?

Comment

I don't think that HD springs will affect your steering.
      Without a rear seat I would hazard a guess to say an electric cart has a weight distribution of 25% front and 75% rear and the steering is light to start with.
      You have no weight on the front axle to offset any weight that you hang off the back of the cart.

Carts are originally designed for 2 people and batteries between the front and rear axles, when you add a rear seat you are extending the weight way beyond the rear axle and any weight on it will take weight off the front axle leaving you with a much lighter feel.

Here's a cart picture I mocked up to show you what I mean:
      Click to Enlarge
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok. so my main concern or decision to upgrade suspension should rest on "the hardness" of ride? When I put a rider on the rear seat, my existing suspension squats serveral (maybe two or three) inches. I have no wheel clearance issues, but my existing springs (6 years old) may be getting tired. Someone has told me that electric carts from stock come with heavier springs to begin with and therefore I should not need or waste money on heavier springs. Is a two inch drop reasonable or something that might "wear out" my cart down the road?

Comment

IMO you won't wear out your cart if the springs sag a little and if you have no rubbing issues i would just leave it. If you are feeling like the springs have sagged over 6 years, my first thought would be to replace the springs with new stock and not HD.

Comment

Much appreciated responses. This is what makes a forum like this so valuable in that all sides of the issue get considered, and people with knowledge and experience can share with us newbie's. Again, thanks.

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X