Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

poormans side x side

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • poormans side x side

    Picked up this 87 Cushman back the end of April for $150
    1st thing I did was to see if it would run.
    Didn't take much to get running, cleaned points n plugs, little gas down the carb and hooked up a battery.
    Last edited by BWM; 3 weeks ago.

  • #2
    Next was rebuilding the front metal work.

    Comment


    • #3
      Next up was brakes.
      Used 92 Jeep YJ wheel cyls ($13.95 ea) for internal parts as they are the same size as the cushmans
      Needed only one seal for the master and on a chance I took the master off my parts Liberty and dismantled it to find the one seal is an exact match.
      Honed and cleaned the cyls, made up new steel lines re using the line fittings and new fluid n bleeding gave me brakes.
      Shoes on all 4 wheels were fairly new
      In the one pic you can see how close the YJ cyls are to the Cushmans.
      Needed a cap for the master so I cut out the top of the Liberty's tank and JB welded it to the top of the casting, It's a lot easier to open and is better vented to keep out water
      So brakes cost me less than $100
      Last edited by BWM; 3 weeks ago.

      Comment


      • #4
        Next up was the dump box.
        As the engine driven pump was missing, and I had a power pack salvaged from an RV slide out.
        I mounted it on the right side of the cart, extended the wires and hooked up the lines to the cyl

        Comment


        • #5
          Next was custom customizing starting with the box and made up a new seat back.
          At this point I was working this cart as well as customizing it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Next was the cab build.
            I always liked the look of the model T C-Cab so that's what I tried to create

            Comment


            • #7
              I got rid of the gauge pod and created my own dash.
              Then stained and clear coated the wood parts
              Stain was $30 and clear cost me $70
              Made up the windsheid frame from salvaged angle and left over piece of 1/4" lexan

              Comment


              • #8
                Found some mirrors at a buddies place from an ATV
                Made up a mount for the tach from a 3" ABS pipe coupler and attached it to the steering shaft

                Comment


                • #9
                  Made up a carrier for a front mounted tool box
                  Biggest expense so far has been the tires
                  2 18x8.50x8 for the front and 4 570x8 for the rear with 6 new valve stems came to just under $600
                  Made up a custom spacer to create the duels on the rear.
                  Will have to get more pics as I haven't taken any of the changes/upgrades made in the past few weeks.
                  Last edited by BWM; 3 weeks ago.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Made up some windshield wings to deflect the rain.
                    Have a 3 wheel Cushman that I've been using for parts as the frame is rotten and a previous owner grafted in an Ezgo rear diff.
                    So I cut it down and turned it into a tag along trailer.
                    Picked up a steering wheel off a junked boat for $10.
                    Took an old cracked up Cushman wheel I had here, cut out the center and welded to the boat wheel looks better for the theme IMO.

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Loading
                    X